Need tire advice: road ride that ends with short steep gravel climb

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jasonh

by jasonh

I have a hilly 18 mile loop nearby that starts, and ends with 3 miles of gravel. the final 1.9k being a steep hill that averages 9%, with a 50 yard section at 14%.
is there a decent/fast tire with some tread that will get me up the steep section of the gravel without spinning out that won't be too much of a compromise for the remaining, majority of the riding?
the wheels are Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V, currently using Bontrager R3 700x28.
thanks for any insight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

What bike/clearance?
Something 30mm with decent technique will walk up it with ease and not be a pig on pavement. No need for tread.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

anything should be able to do 9% 14% you will probably need to remain seated.

now what kind of gravel are we talking about ? because there are tons of variations.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jasonh

by jasonh

Thank you for the replies.
I have tons of room. Domane SLR I have a pair of Bontrager R2 32’s. But they’re pigs when on pavement So I took them off. I’m riding 28mm R3’s, which are MUCH nicer.
This is North Georgia gravel. Smooth hard sandy base with granite stones on top Stones are not tightly packed and vary in size from roughly 25-50mm.. Pretty terrible for road wheels.
I think I may need to go tubeless, and try something like Compass, or something with herringbone. But I don’t want a pig of a tire for the other 98% of the riding.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

jasonh wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:08 am
I have tons of room. Domane SLR I have a pair of Bontrager R2 32’s. But they’re pigs when on pavement So I took them off. I’m riding 28mm R3’s, which are MUCH nicer.
This is North Georgia gravel. Smooth hard sandy base with granite stones on top Stones are not tightly packed and vary in size from roughly 25-50mm.. Pretty terrible for road wheels.
I think I may need to go tubeless, and try something like Compass, or something with herringbone. But I don’t want a pig of a tire for the other 98% of the riding.
FYI : Tubeless for compass/reneherse start with 700x35.. nothing smaller
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jasonh

by jasonh

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:19 am
jasonh wrote:
So; if I want to run tubeless; stick with 35’s, if tubes a 32 works? I am pretty indecisive about going tubeless and also running 35’s up the steep ass hills all over my area.
Thank you

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

jasonh wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:29 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
jasonh wrote:
So; if I want to run tubeless; stick with 35’s, if tubes a 32 works? I am pretty indecisive about going tubeless and also running 35’s up the steep ass hills all over my area.
Thank you
I'm just letting you know nothing in the compass/reneherse line of tires in 700c size is "tubeless compatible" until you get to the Bon Jon which are 700x35.
All their skinner tires you have to use tubes.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jasonh

by jasonh

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:33 pm
jasonh wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:29 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
jasonh wrote:
Thank you
I'm just letting you know nothing in the compass/reneherse line of tires in 700c size is "tubeless compatible" until you get to the Bon Jon which are 700x35.
All their skinner tires you have to use tubes.
I see. Thank you!

Marin

by Marin

GP5000 TL 32mm or Schwalbe Pro One 30mm (should be 32 too), tubeless.

No penalty on the road and will be fine on gravel, especially at sensibly low pressure and tubeless.

emotive

by emotive

Climbing 14% on gravel is more about gearing than tyre choice. Your 28mm tyres will get up the hill if you can stay seated, keep the cadence high, and pedal stroke smooth. Once you get down to 50 cadence and standing up, there is not enough weight for rear traction. The bursts of power make the tyre slip, you put your foot down, and it’s too steep to start.

Given you have room for more width a high grade tyre such as the 32mm R3 or Rene Herse Stampede Pass, or GP5000 will help with being able to run 5-10psi less pressure with the same handling and rolling resistance for fast road riding, and more grip on the gravel and the road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

I run 32mm Hutchinson Sectors on one of my road bikes. Plenty fast on the road but they have a thicker casing and ever so slight tread on the edges because they are supposedly for gravel. There is a local road race with a 1km stretch of gravel, flew through it comfortably.