Help me find new wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Hello Bike nerds,
It's another one of these threads! A little about me: I am 5'9 (175cm) and weigh 72kg (down from 91kg 8 months ago). I just got into road biking this summer and have gotten kinda bitten by the bug. I ran out and bought a Giant Advanced defy 2 (2019). I am now looking to make a couple of upgrades. The first most obvious thing to upgrade is the wheels over the PR2. As for what/how I ride, I do a 45-70 mile (72-112km) ride every weekend at a pace of ~26kmph. My goal is to be able to comfortably do a century this time next year at a faster riding pace. I also do a quick 25 km ride every other day on the weekdays at a pace of about 30kmph, but now that it's getting dark after work I am relegated to the trainer.

As for what I'm looking for, I want to keep it under a grand USD and keep my setup tubeless. I have some 28mm continental 5kTL I'm looking to pop on whatever I get. Looking around here light bicycle looks like a good option but I have a few questions with the quick order I put together;
35 or 45mm deep rims? Are the extra aero gains worth it for these types of rides I'm doing? I don't have much interest in truly racing.
DTswiss 350
Sapim X-ray spokes
No holes: is this a liability for spoke breaks?

Another option I'm looking at that would be in the same ballpark is some Ksyrium pro disc which ciclimattio's has for $800. Looks like it would be heavier and less aero, but potentially more reliable. https://us.ciclimattio.com/s/mavic/ksyr ... /?id=21053

Is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

So it's disc brake wheels you're looking for i assume?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Yep, 6 bolt

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I noted you have quite a large clearance for tires, up to 32mm
Have you looked at Cadence wheels?
https://carbonbikewheels.com.au/eu
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Yeah the clearence on the Defy is nuts. Feels like I could easily turn it into a gravel bike if I wanted to. I think I enjoy riding roads more than anything else though.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd get the AR46 Light Bicycle wheels for your 28mm Contis. 46mm depth is very rideable day to day until the wind is blowing really hard. If you are worried at all, then get the AR36. You are only talking about a few watts either way and since you aren't trying to win a race, it's not a big deal.

If you wanted to aero optimize the tires (a few watts) you could use 25mm tires which will probably stretch to 27-28mm on a wider rim.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

One thing with the AR46 is I live in a somewhat high crime area, and although I ride elsewhere on the weekends it might make me more of a target, the deep rims are pretty flashy. Perhaps I should ride my commuter hybrid more locally, but I get much more joy from my road bike.

"If you wanted to aero optimize the tires (a few watts) you could use 25mm tires which will probably stretch to 27-28mm on a wider rim."

Yeah I know I'd likely be breaking the 105% rule for the time being. I seem to kill tires pretty quick with punctures that don't seal. My poor Schwalbe Pro 1's didn't even last a month. So next time I blow another one I'll go to 25mm.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Update: ordered the light bicycle AR46. I talked with a rep at the company when I asked if there was any reason I should go for the 25mm "R" series he said "The narrower R series rims are designed to be run on bikes with rim brake tracks and come with rim brake tracks as a standard. We can make that rim as a disc specific rim, but the AR series offers more versatility. " This translated to me as just go with the AR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com