Bora One Maintenance and/or Upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skidrrr

by skidrrr

Just one year on our far from perfect roads and my rear wheel hub has a slight but noticibile vibration. It is time to maintanance I guess.
1. I'm wonderng what is the best grease to use for campy USB hubs?
2. If bearing needs to be replaces can I use hb-hy100 kit and not hb-sh100 to replace and upgrade my one to ultra?

Judging by sceme in the catalog hub internals look the same

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You can use any bicycle grease for the USB hubs. To convert 'ONE' to 'ULTRA' you need both the HB-BO100 and HB-HY100 kits. The HB-HY100 kit should read 2xE, 2xF, 2xG, and 2xH. You will also need to buy the Campy race extractor kit to remove 'B' from the front hubs and 'G' from the rear hubs, as well as a race press tool. I don't know the part numbers from someone on WW has done it and described it in the Bora WTO thread.

Priit

by Priit

skidrrr wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 pm
Just one year on our far from perfect roads and my rear wheel hub has a slight but noticibile vibration. It is time to maintanance I guess.
1. I'm wonderng what is the best grease to use for campy USB hubs?
Campagnolo uses Kübler Isoflex Topas NB 52 - white barium based synthetic grease. (Also sold by Campagnolo rebranded as “Campagnolo Professional Grease”). NB52 is a very good premium lubricant made for rolling and plane bearings and also water resistant and long lasting.
Last edited by Priit on Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skidrrr

by skidrrr

Thank you Priit and pdlpsher1
I'm definitely going to buy Campagnolo Professional Grease and will think about upgrading bearings to CULT

For now I just re-greased it with what my friend suggested and borrowed to me.
It is a toxic green shimano premium grease

Interestingly drivetrain side bearing was noticeable dirty while left one was quite clean

I still can feel slight vibration when I roll the wheel in my hand but it is better an I'm ok with that

robertbb

by robertbb

Side note, what size GP5000 are you running on that wheel and how do you find it?

skidrrr

by skidrrr

robertbb wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 am
Side note, what size GP5000 are you running on that wheel and how do you find it?
For better aero I used 23c. Even thouh I did only 2rides so far I find GP5000 quite insipring and way more fun to ride than GP4000SII.
Comparation with s-works turbo cotton is a different story. I can't decide yet what sensation I like better. Turbos are softer but GP5000 seem to accelerate faster.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Shimano green grease is a very good grease. It's tacky and repels water quite well. It's common to see the drive-train side being more dirty than the NDS but your DS is super dirty. I'm glad you took care of the dirty bearings.

I'm running GP5K 28's on my Bora 50 Ones and Bora 35 Ultras. Love the comfort and handling of the wider tires.

robertbb

by robertbb

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:32 am
The Shimano green grease is a very good grease. It's tacky and repels water quite well. It's common to see the drive-train side being more dirty than the NDS but your DS is super dirty. I'm glad you took care of the dirty bearings.

I'm running GP5K 28's on my Bora 50 Ones and Bora 35 Ultras. Love the comfort and handling of the wider tires.
Are they the newer, wider, Bora's? If so, have you taken vernier calipers to the GP5k28's and measured how wide they inflate?

MariusRO

by MariusRO

How often should the maintenance (cleaning & greasing) be performed for CULT bearings?
Campagnolo says on their website: "they must be cleaned and lubricated with synthetic oil according to the periodic maintenance table." but don't provide a "maintenance table".
My mechanic is saying every 1000km

PS: Campagnolo recommends synthetic oil, not grease for CULT bearings : https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Suppor ... e_bearings

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Every 1.000km? That's 2 weeks of riding for me in the summer.

I'd probably say every 7.000-10.000km, but summers here are pretty dry the last years (who'd thought a Dutch person would ever say that?) and roads are generally really good.

Water = killing. That's for sure.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

robertbb wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:05 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:32 am

Are they the newer, wider, Bora's? If so, have you taken vernier calipers to the GP5k28's and measured how wide they inflate?
These are the newer ( AC3 ) ones. You can tell by the brake track.

@skidrr - Is the vibration also without the tire... in other words : Tires can cause vibration also.