Need help: tubeless tires for Mavic Comete Pro Carbon SL wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD997

by CAAD997

WHEELS IN QUESTION
* Mavic Comete Pro Carbon SL wheels with a UST decal
* Currently set up for clinchers, but would like to go tubeless

* Does anyone have experience with non-Mavic brand tubeless tires with these specific wheels?
* Does anyone have any experience with mounting Continental GP5000TL tires on these specific wheels?
* Does anyone have any experience with mounting Schwalbe Pro One TLE tires on these specific wheels?

* I understand the Mavic Yksion Pro option ........... just looking for some feedback on non-Mavic tubeless tire options
* My main concern is: ease of installation
* Leaning toward a 28mm width
* I ride 1) for fun (no racing), and 2) in the dry

EDIT 10/3/2019
* Got anxious and just ordered Mavic Yksion Pro UST 700x28's to be done
* Considered the recently released Schwalbe Pro One TLE, but could not find enough feedback, which is understandable since they are new
* Would still be interested in feedback about non-Mavic tubeless tires that folks have mounted to their Mavic carbon UST wheels
Last edited by CAAD997 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Two wheelers rock!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Mavic Comete Carbon Pro SL or Mavic Comete Carbon Pro SL UST?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD997

by CAAD997

Comete Pro Carbon SL with a UST decal
Last edited by CAAD997 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two wheelers rock!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

If they're not UST, they are not tubeless ready. The decals say on the rim if they are UST (very subtle) but also, a good way to know is the UST models shipped with tubeless tape and valved installed and came with Yksion UST tires and a bottle of sealant. If they are SL C, they are meant to use tubes. I got a pair of Cosmic Carbon Pro SL UST pretty much as soon as they were out in late 2017 but I'm not sure when the Comete UST were released, probably also late 2017 or later...

It might be doable ghetto style but not approved by Mavic and probably not as safely/reliably, I wouldn't personally.

CAAD997

by CAAD997

Sorry for the delayed response - the wheels do have a UST decal, so I cleaned up the info.
Two wheelers rock!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

CAAD997 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 pm
Sorry for the delayed response - the wheels do have a UST decal, so I cleaned up the info.
Haaa so they're good to go! :thumbup:

Personally I have only used the Mavic Yksion UST tires on mine, they are truly easy to install and take off by hand and easy to inflate with a normal pump as Mavic claims. They ride pretty well (it's the first time I say that about a Mavic tire), roll easily, are pretty light, grip is good (although I haven't tried them much in the wet), much better than any Mavic tires before although they are not the most supple tires around (they do have a bead to bead puncture protection belt) and they're a bit fragile, the Hutchinson Eleven Storm compound they use is very easy to cut. I haven't had any cuts deep enough to be a problem yet, the casing and belt are fine but the rubber just get covered with tiny little slices over time. They're good tubeless tires, probably the easiest to install but probably not the highest performance ones.

If I had to get new tires now, I think I'd go with the new Schwalbe Pro Ones TLE introduced a few weeks ago. They're now manufactured around similar specs as the Mavic's Road UST (which is apparently what the new ETRTO Road Tubeless standard is based on) so they should be very easy to fit (reports seem to confirm this). They're a tad lighter than the Mavics but more importantly, they should be a lot more supple... I never had Schwalbe tires suffer much cuts either but older models wore out quickly, they claim the new ones last longer but it's too soon to know for sure.

Another good tubeless tire is the Continental GP5000TL, great rolling resistance, good predictable grip dry or wet, the rubber probably doesn't melt as fast as past Schwalbes and doesn't cut as easily as the Mavics, I have a pair but they're the tubed version and I like them so far. The Tubeless version (well, tubed ones too) are said to be a pain to install initially (they apparently stretch out after use) and they're a lot heavier than the Mavic and Schwalbe (in 700x25, Contis are around 300gr, Mavics 250-260gr, Pro Ones claimed 245gr).

Vittoria Corsa G+ 2.0 are now available tubeless (I would avoid the Corsa Speed, it's a light TT tire with no puncture protection and minimal rubber, they are more fragile and don't last long, similarly to Schwalbe Pro One TT TLE). My experience with the tubed Corsa G+ 1.0 was good, grip was very good, they felt smooth and fast although the newer 2,0 have scored slower than the old ones in independent rolling resistance tests) but they are heavy, they have a similar weight to the GP5000TL, north of 300gr (to be fair, the tubed models are quite heavy to start with)... and the tread pattern with the little lines seem to pick up small debris, I've punctured a few times from very small things they picked up and kept rolling on until it went through, but that was with a pair with a lot of mileage, when new I used them on gravel roads without issues. I have not tried the tubeless models so no idea how easy they mount or not.

I'll let others chime in on other options.

CAAD997

by CAAD997

The Schwalbe Pro One TLE looks interesting, and the Schwalbe video posted on YouTube makes it look super easy to install.

Does anyone have any experience mounting a Schwalbe Pro One TLE on a Mavic UST tubeless carbon wheel?
Two wheelers rock!

CAAD997

by CAAD997

* Got anxious and just ordered Mavic Yksion Pro UST 700x28's to be done

* Considered the recently released Schwalbe Pro One TLE, but could not find enough feedback, which is understandable since they are new

* Would still be interested in feedback about non-Mavic tubeless tires that folks have mounted to their Mavic carbon wheels
Two wheelers rock!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I'm thinking the new Schwalbe would be as easy to mount as the Yksion UST since they're said to be using the new but yet-to-be-official ETRTO Road Tubeless standard, which is basically based on Mavic's Road UST specs...

fastsloth6

by fastsloth6

I recently went on the same journey as you, searching for tubeless tires that fit. The high sidewalls make for a difficult search. This journey occurred around Jan-Feb 2020. My experience:

Continental GP 5000 TL: too tight, myself and a bike shop gave up even attempting to mount.

Schwalbe Pro One TL (not the newest iteration, the 2016 versions); slightly looser than Conti's but still too tight to mount.

Vittoria Corsa Tubeless ready: initially, super easy install. 4/2020 I got a sidewall tear that required replacing, and the replacement tire was much tighter. Luck of the draw, or did Vittoria tighten up the tire circumference? Not sure. Hope this helps.

CAAD997

by CAAD997

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have read reviews on a lot of different tubeless tires since starting this thread, and there are differing experiences from different people. Based on what appears to be a lot of variability, I will just stick with Mavic Yksion Pro UST tires for now.
Two wheelers rock!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

The Michelin guys were mostly using Mavic UST wheels when they did the media presentation of their new Power Road line that now includes a tubeless ready version. They first rode the tubed model, then switched every wheels to the tubeless model so people could feel the difference, staying with the same bikes and wheels for both tires. They were installing tires by hand pretty quickly so I would assume they're easy enough to mount on UST rims...

CAAD997

by CAAD997

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:38 pm
The Michelin guys were mostly using Mavic UST wheels when they did the media presentation of their new Power Road line that now includes a tubeless ready version. They first rode the tubed model, then switched every wheels to the tubeless model so people could feel the difference, staying with the same bikes and wheels for both tires. They were installing tires by hand pretty quickly so I would assume they're easy enough to mount on UST rims...

I have not been able to install/remove a Mavic Yksion Pro UST from the Comete Pro Carbon SL wheels with just my bare hands, and I have tried several times with a 700x28. I still need a tire lever. I have watched several videos of Mavic folks doing it by hand, but the videos use different wheels.

I have a set of Ksyrium UST wheels, but I have not yet tried to remove the original Yksion Pro UST tires from them. Perhaps the Ksyrium wheels are easier to work with than the Comete Pro Carbon SL wheels.
Two wheelers rock!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Really? I have a pair of Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST and it's really easy to put Yksion UST tires on and off by hands... Are sure you place the bead in the deeper central channel of the rim when pulling/pushing the last section on/off? Are you using the stock rim tape?

CAAD997

by CAAD997

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:25 pm
Really? I have a pair of Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST and it's really easy to put Yksion UST tires on and off by hands... Are sure you place the bead in the deeper central channel of the rim when pulling/pushing the last section on/off? Are you using the stock rim tape?
DT Swiss tubeless tape - which I believe is thinner than the OE Mavic tape.

I am 98% confident that the tire is in the center channel during the last portion [that leaves me 2% for error]. That is something that I am constantly checking.

I lube up the tire carcass with a Dawn/water solution, but I still need a tire lever for the last bit. I believe my hands are stronger than a new born baby's hands, but I do not have a new born baby to test against. :)
Two wheelers rock!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com