Lightest clincher (rim brake) 40-45mm?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Coincidentally, winspace hyper appears to use the same rim, but at a premium price of course and the textured brake track doesn't appear to be an option. :)

rlanger

by rlanger

alcatraz wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:30 pm
Coincidentally, winspace hyper appears to use the same rim, but at a premium price of course and the textured brake track doesn't appear to be an option. :)
Same rim and premium price compared to what?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I buy these from a small supplier in China for around 100-150usd per rim. Carbobeam appears to sell these abroad. Now winspace use them. I've seen other domestic brands use them.

I'm sorry if they're hard to find but they are clearly oem made. Just look for them. Different sellers offer different options too. I've seen brake track options pictured in other places that I couldn't even choose, clearly the same manufacturer though.

The seller also told me nothing is stocked. Every single rim is made to order. If it's stocked you're not buying directly and thus getting fewer options.

I just finished lacing my 75mm front yesterday. 618gr including veloplugs. That's clincher, not tubular.

One downside to these rims is that the finish isn't as perfect as on other wheels. It's a flat surface (resin) but looking closely you can see small "artefacts" from variations in the carbon. It looks a bit like the rim is dirty but it isn't. It is possible to improve the finish but at a slight weight penalty. Me being a ww I chose the lighter option.
Attachments
IMG_20200527_080640.jpg