Anyone mixing breakpads?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

photek

by photek

I was reading about the inhouse carbon wheel-set from Bike-Components.de (BC Flechtwerk), and they recommend Swisstop yellow pads on the front and blackprince pads on the rear, which is something I've never heard of before.

"our experience has shown that riding the Yellow King in the front and the Black Prince in the back produce the highest braking performance"

Is this something particular to this wheel-set, or does anyone have experience of trying this with other wheels?

Thanks!
2019 Trek Emonda SLR, SRAM eTap groupset, eeBrakes G4, Berk Lupina Saddle, TUNE Schwarzbrenner 60mm wheelset - 6.4 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I recently installed Campagnolo red carbon brake pads and was too lazy to replace the rear Black Prince pads.

There was much more braking with the Campagnolo pads that I thought maybe if I replace them at the rear, I would be locking the wheel up easier.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

For Campy Carbon wheels at least, Campy red pads all way round. Just superb braking and modulation, providing a good setup with calipers, levers and cable runs is present. Good setup should always go without saying but it’s amazing how often you see super tight bends, kinked cable housing ends as they enter the brake caliper from having to enter from a weird line (I.e., dropped seatstays, especially on smaller frames with large drop), etc. and don’t forget about really squaring off the ends of brake cable housings, essentially “facing” them, either by grinder or file. If the ends are left with either a rough cut or not square, you can be greeted to rough feeling operation or the housing compressing at the very end a bit, and it doesn’t take much compression to make things feel spongy.
I’ve never mixed pads before. But can anyone tell me if the swisstop yellows have changed since they were considered the “goto” brake pad for carbon rims around 10 years ago. Because they were really horrible compared to what’s out these days. I still have brand new ones floating around in the bowels of my spare parts bins, and never will they see any use on any of my bikes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Swannie

by Swannie

those campy red pads will destroy your non campy wheels!
I had chinese carbon rims who always worked fine with black prince.
I once swopped them to the red pads to go to Eifel region.
1 decent climb and descend and the braketrack smoked and cracked up.

AJS914

by AJS914

Campy red pads seem to be working well on my Farsports wheels. They wear out fast and shed pad material. I'm guessing that is what you want - sacrifice the pad in order to save the rim.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

AJS914 wrote:Campy red pads seem to be working well on my Farsports wheels. They wear out fast and shed pad material. I'm guessing that is what you want - sacrifice the pad in order to save the rim.
I find Campy pads last a good while on Campy rims. Do the FarSports wheels have a coated on basalt track by chance?
I’ve tested them on some Lightweights just to see how they worked briefly and they performed well, but once that test was done I put the Lightweight pads back on. I like to stick with the manufacturers recommendations regarding pads. I suppose if braking was really terrible I’d be tempted to try others for sure, but nothing to complain about with Campy Red in Campy Carbon, that’s for sure.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:03 pm
Campy red pads seem to be working well on my Farsports wheels. They wear out fast and shed pad material. I'm guessing that is what you want - sacrifice the pad in order to save the rim.
I use Red Campy Brake pads for my Bora wheels, and have about 15000 km with same pads.. And based on wear rate seem that i'll have on them at least another 10000 km (with plenty of climbing in my riding).. Seem that i have same wear ratio on Campy Red Pads and Campagnolo Record Chainring 36T (25000 km and they need replacament)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

My Farsports rims just advertised themselves as having "high temperature braking surface". It's not gritty or rough. To me it just looks like a carbon weave under resin.

Anyway, when I said the pads wore fast I must requalify that since this is my first set of carbon rims and I have nothing else to compare them to. I was used to regular Campagnolo black pads which can almost last forever with aluminum rims.

I have 4,000 miles (6K km) on these red pads. The fronts are noticeably thinner than the rears. The pads seemed to have worn more quickly when new. Maybe they bedded to the rim? They seem to hardly wear now so I'm not sure how long they will ultimately last.

Farsports ship with Gigantex black pads or at checkout you can buy Swiss Stop black prince pads at checkout for extra money.