Sealant for Veloflex

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

I usually use tufo extreme but almost out. Looked online and price went up a lot. Before I only paid $5 or so from eBay but now it’s nearly doubled...

Looking at orange sealant, can get those at LBS. anyone have success with these? If so do you use standard or the endurance version?

Are there others that works wonders on latex inner tubes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

The standard Orange seal is the one to get. Worked great with my veloflex tyres.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

KCookie wrote:The standard Orange seal is the one to get. Worked great with my veloflex tyres.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks! Will give that a try. Should be ok to use the same tuck extreme bottle right or should I rinse out before adding in the orange?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

upside

by upside

A BIG YES to the Orange sealant.... the Tufo product will dry in the tires. I have been using Veloflex most of the summer with Orange Sealant and no issues so far.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Another +1 for Orange Seal. Been using this for ~5 years with great success.

addictR1

by addictR1

You guys using the standard Orange as well?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

and then do you use a hand pump, or CO2 ?

i assume you put the puncture towards the ground and let the sealant pool while pumping up?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've always used standard sealant.

I don't usually load up my wheels preemptively with sealant (though I do on my wife's bike). If you're loading sealant into a tire that just punctured, using c02 isn't ideal as it can freeze the sealant. At a minimum, if all you have is a cartridge, put the sealant in and rotate the wheel so it's opposite the valve stem. Better would be to use a hand pump though.

If you're loading sealant preemptively, you may not even know you punctured - because now you're basically riding tubeless.

commfire

by commfire

I did an experiment a few years ago using a Arenberg that I was retiring and Bontrager sealant.

I used a pretty thick puncturing tool to create some decent holes. Then added sealant after removing the valve core. Inflated with a Co2 and it sealed every time. From then on all I carried on a ride was a Co2 and a small bottle of the bontrager sealant.

I have since moved on from tubulars but looking back it was the cleanest and easiest way to deal with punctures.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Quicker than changing a tube for sure!

addictR1

by addictR1

Catagory6 wrote:and then do you use a hand pump, or CO2 ?

i assume you put the puncture towards the ground and let the sealant pool while pumping up?
I use co2 and point the puncture to the ground first then pump.

LouisN

by LouisN

I bought a 60 ml pouch of Caffelatex. I used it on a Conti Sprinter with success.
I also have many old tubulars that have either punctured or have slow leaks, so I usually take them off and replace before they fail.
I pulled out a Velofelx Arenberg and put the remaining Caffelatex in it. That was three days ago. The tubular is now ready to be used again :D.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com