Zipp tubular rim repair at brake track

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

You have no idea how badly damaged it is just by looking at it, you have no idea how it was caused, and you’ve not suggested at any point you’ll get someone to look at it / x-ray it to check out how bad the damage is.

It’s not scare mongering. It’s people with more experience than you telling you you’re not showing enough caution and trying to give you advice and be helpful. Just so there’s no misunderstanding, the biggest risk to you isn’t wasting some of your time. It’s serious injury. But I won’t waste anymore of my own time on this.... Carry on...

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've done carbon repair and have been sucessful... but not in the wheel rim brake interface. For me it's not worth it. Somethings I wont chance... wheels, handlebars, stems, fork... stuff like that.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

joejack951 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 am
the rear brake is definitely compromised.
Getting away from the safety concern (since it appears as though you're convinced it's safe), I'll address the repairability: I have a friend who attempted the same type of repair on a set of Mercury M5 wheels (rear wheel, same type of damage). Although cosmetically, it appeared alright, the wheel became unusable, because the rear braking performance was virtually zero and the wheel would hop due to the unbalanced nature due to the additional weight on the repair spot. He used it in one race and then bought a single replacement rim and relacing it to the original hub.

I understand the wheel is going on your TT bike, so braking is not a major concern, but the vibration, especially at high speed, will affect your riding.