New set of lightweight disk brake wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

George46GR

by George46GR

Good evening,

I'm looking for a pair of lightweight disk brake carbon wheels (section between 35 mm up to 45 or 47 mm), less than 1400 gr for my new BMC bike. I normally use 25 mm wide tyres, and I wouldn't mind if they were clinchers or tubular. I ride almost 15,000 km per year and they are going to be my permanent wheels.

Please assume that the cost is not an obstalce. What would you please suggest me ? Thank you very much for your time, George. I have in mind the extralite cyberdisk and the schmolke wheels.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

hannawald

by hannawald

I would like to be corrected but i doubt Extralite is a wheelset for somebody riding 15000km/year. You can start with new dt 180 exp hubs (Swiss for BMC:), should be more durable than Tune or Extralites, 24/24 aerolite or cx ray spokes, alu nipples and find some lightweight rims. You should be sub 1400g with Schmolke (not tubeless), Mcfk and even with some Light Bicycle rims..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

if you dont mind atleast level 1 servicing of the hubs.... you should be fine. ( and ride on the dry)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

joejack951

by joejack951

If you are willing to go tubular (or did you mean tubeless?) your weight goal should be quite a bit lower given your lack of a budget. I built 1400 gram 40mm deep x 27mm tubular rims with Bitex hubs for ~$600 which came in at that weight. And the rims I used were pretty heavy by tubular standards (390 grams). 1200 grams shouldn't be that hard to achieve at that depth especially if you can tack on another $1000 for lighter rims and hubs.

George46GR

by George46GR

I live in south Greece thus I ride mostly (95%) in dry conditions. What is level 1 servicing of the hubs?

I meant tubular. I know that tubular (glued) tyres are a bit more expensive, but on the other hand, they are supposed to offer better handling, whereas at the same time, I can achieve a significant lower wheel weight. Are tubular tyres (in general) more prone to punctures ? Or, by using liquid sealant one can avoid most of the trouble (meaning that I only need to cary some CO2 in case I need some extra air) ?

I actully need a - complete wheel - purchase, as I would like to avoid buing separate parts and then built a complete wheel set. Thanks again for your time and answers, George.

Are the AX-Ultra Disc 38T, an option ? They are tybular, they weight 1020 gr for the pair and they are equipped with Extralite CyberFront SPD-2 / CyberRear SPD-2 hubs. But they cost around 2500 euros....
Last edited by George46GR on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

L3X

by L3X

Honestly if money was no concern I'd just run Lightweights - if you only run 35mm deep wheels aero isn't too much of a concern + they look totally amazing.

George46GR

by George46GR

L3X wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 am
Honestly if money was no concern I'd just run Lightweights - if you only run 35mm deep wheels aero isn't too much of a concern + they look totally amazing.
Could you please help me with a link, or just mention the specific model? My bike is a BMC teammachine (altitude series) and in my area we mostly climb, thus weight is my primary concern rather than aerodynamics.

hannawald

by hannawald

Tubulars are great for rim brake bikes because of their added safety (resistance to overheating). Getting rid of them was my main driver towards discs. They ride great, puncture resistance is similar if not better, but i was not grown on tubulars so all i know about changing them is from what i read here. I always had fear what would have happened if i had punctured..Vittoria Pitstop spray is like 30 percent chance, i used to have Tufo small tyre with me but with no actual experience it was like waiting for disaster..i know really many people with tubulars for whoom puncture meant end of ride. If you have somebody who will pick you up in with car or willing to pay taxi..
Tubeless is proven to have lowest rolling resistance so i went this way. Of course you can learn changing tubulars at home and enjoy lighter wheels without fear from puncture.

Anyway look at bike24/starbike and you will see pretty much everything below 1400g available on the market - Extralite has no competitor right now, by far the lightest. Sub 1400g clinchers you can have from Mcfk or Schmolke..these guys use very light Extralite/Tune hubs, which is the precondition of sub 1400g (clinchers)..tubulars you can have everything below 1400:)

Tobic

by Tobic

I'd recommend looking out for 35mm high VENN or Munich Composites rims build with Carbon-Ti by a wheelbuilder. My Munich Composites 30mm high with 21mm inner/30mm outer width with Carbon-Ti Centerlock Disc come in at 1320g with rim tape. Those specs should be matched by many wheel builders, my favorite is so far https://www.german-lightness.de/
Carbon-Ti are very light although not overly so as Extralite, feels like there is enough substance to not be worried about durability.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

L3X

by L3X

George46GR wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 am
L3X wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 am
Could you please help me with a link, or just mention the specific model? My bike is a BMC teammachine (altitude series) and in my area we mostly climb, thus weight is my primary concern rather than aerodynamics.
Eh what? Come on man, if you google lightweight wheels one of the first things you'll find is....: https://lightweight.info/us/en/

Go for something like a Meilenstein T24D, super light and very stiff.