Decent wheels for commuting and winter training (UK)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

As per title, I am using using a pair of Fulcrum Racing 5 but I find them so stiff and uncomfortable.
I am 68kg for 178cm. The bike is a Cervelo R3 (2009) with 23mm Conti 4Season at 100PSI.
I checked on Strada and WheelSmith but I thought I would ask here as well.
I might put 25mm perhaps in the near future but I need to work out the mud guards first (with my current 23mm I am able to use the Crud Roadracer, with 25mm I will have to look into a different solution like the Portland’s for example).

PS: i put some 15000km per year on these wheels.

Thanks all!

Edit: I saw a number of similar threads but decided to create a new one because I would still like to understand how an R3 can be so uncomfortable. I have been riding this bike since 2009 and went through a number of training wheels (Shimano RS20, Malik Aksium, previous gen Racing 5, current gen Racing 5 LG) and find it very uncomfortable. Don’t remember when it started feeling so stiff, but this bike used to ride like a sofa in terms of comfort. Can it be that the Fulcrum are tensioned for heavy riders and don’t work with me? Budget £300-400. Comfort is key, not too heavy would be a plus but not at the expense of durability and low maintenance. I toss the Fulcrums after 45k (3 years) and don’t have to look back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benhama

by benhama

Try a set of wheels from Just Riding Along (https://www.justridingalong.com/). Great wheels at a great price point.

Rudi

by Rudi

I've got the "Vivaldi" option from DCR, with Schwalbe pro one tubeless 25mm.

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/road-wheelsets/

I actually prefer this to his "standard" set but that might be due to different tyres. I'm probably 10kg heavier than you though for ref.

Depending on what size bike you are on - I found 25mm tyres (vittoria corsa and the schwalbes) would not fit on my wife's 48cm R3 (2011ish), but do fit on my 56 version (similar year). Sidewall touches the seatstay was the issue.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

parajba

by parajba

Thanks, my R3 is a 54.

parajba

by parajba

One observation. I think the bike started feeling uncomfortable when a. I changed wheels (from the old R5 to the newer R5 LG, they are wider rims) and in parallel I lost weight. Tyre is 23mm.
Is it perhaps an easier problem to fix? I.e I am running a pressure that it is too high?!? 100PSI for 68kg.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Even the worst wheel is going to be loads stiffer than your seat post or tires. I'd look to the seat post and tires for a ride solution. Definately get a 25c tire in there if you can. For the rear fender, if you can do without full coverage, try an SKS strap on fender. https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products ... blade-set/

hambini

by hambini

I commute on Shimano C60's

Unless it's very windy, I make fairly rapid progress.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

euan

by euan

parajba wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:45 pm
One observation. I think the bike started feeling uncomfortable when a. I changed wheels (from the old R5 to the newer R5 LG, they are wider rims) and in parallel I lost weight. Tyre is 23mm.
Is it perhaps an easier problem to fix? I.e I am running a pressure that it is too high?!? 100PSI for 68kg.
Did you keep the same tyre pressures after changing the wheels?

parajba

by parajba

euan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:58 pm
parajba wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:45 pm
Did you keep the same tyre pressures after changing the wheels?
I did, as the tyres are the same width (23mm), but perhaps they have more volume on the wider rims compared to the narrower ones? And perhaps mystery solved I only need to lower the pressure then...

bikerdan

by bikerdan

What about these Borg wheels
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... 1-wheelset
The guy that builds them is often on this forum and sounds like he really knows what he's talking about

I'm planning on getting a pair this year for a nice cold and wet German winter

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

parajba

by parajba

Thanks all, I think I found the possible answer. I have been silly.

A 23mm tyre mounted on a narrow rim is DIFFERENT from the same tyre mounted on a wider rim.

In my case, if I used 100 (R) and 95 (F) with 23mm on a narrower rim, I need to lower the pressure to around 95 (R) and 90 (F)). (All measures in PSI).

https://www.velonews.com/2017/03/bikes- ... dup_433214

Multebear

by Multebear

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:08 pm
Even the worst wheel is going to be loads stiffer than your seat post or tires. I'd look to the seat post and tires for a ride solution. Definately get a 25c tire in there if you can. For the rear fender, if you can do without full coverage, try an SKS strap on fender. https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products ... blade-set/
This.

I´m pretty sure you wont feel the difference between wheels. Or at least it will be insignificant. Saddle, tires and tirepressure will make a way bigger impact on how comfortable the bike feels. Besides that, there are seatpost out there with flex, that will add to the comfort as well.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/r ... ndurace-cf

parajba

by parajba

I lowered the tyre pressure by 5PSI and it makes a difference. I didn’t know that wider rims (on same 23mm tyre) produce more volume and hence I need to reduce the pressure. My bad.
I will try 90 R and 85 F next.

parajba

by parajba

I purchased a pair of Vittoria Rubino G+ (23, clincher). Will report back when installed. I am sure they will increase the comfort. They are quite strong too (according to Internet forums).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parajba

by parajba

Update.

I purchased a pair of Rubino Pro Control in size 23 and a pair in size 25.

I will not be able to mount the 25 and keep my existing Crud Roadracer mk2 mudguards. I will need to use the Mk3 and cut out a bit at the front (from the fork bridge) and rear (from underneath the brakes to front mech and chainstays).

Question: is the loss of mudguards coverage (will this bit make a big difference?) worth the increased comfort of the 25?