Decent wheels for commuting and winter training (UK)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

Definitely not. Having mudguards that give you suficient protection is comfort as well. Try lowering the pressure on your 23 mm tires. You dont have to run +90 psi. Try 65-75 psi and check out how that feels. It will give you a some comfort, and you can keep your mudguards.

parajba

by parajba

Multebear wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 pm
Definitely not. Having mudguards that give you suficient protection is comfort as well. Try lowering the pressure on your 23 mm tires. You dont have to run +90 psi. Try 65-75 psi and check out how that feels. It will give you a some comfort, and you can keep your mudguards.
Thanks for your reply. I am still using the old Conti 4 Seasons but lowered to 90PSI (R) and 85PSI (F), and it’s already making a material difference. I used to do 100PSI and it was bone shaking.

In the next few days I will put the Vittoria Rubino 23mm and further experiment with the pressure.

Given that I am 67-68kg, how low can I go on 17C clincher rims and the Vittoria? They say 100PSI minimum on the side wall? I know that Vittoria are always softer and more comfortable than Conti, but 100PSI seems too high even with the Vittoria.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

I´m using conti 4 seasons 23 mm, and running around 75 psi, and I´m 90 kg. I´m pretty sure I could take out 5 maybe even 10 psi more if I push it. But I don´t need to. Don´t put too much faith in those recomendations, they are very conservative. Just get your own experience.

parajba

by parajba

Multebear wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 pm
I´m using conti 4 seasons 23 mm, and running around 75 psi, and I´m 90 kg. I´m pretty sure I could take out 5 maybe even 10 psi more if I push it. But I don´t need to. Don´t put too much faith in those recomendations, they are very conservative. Just get your own experience.
Will experiment and report back, thanks for the tip.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Glad you worked it before I posted what you worked out. The op though raised a few things.

Radial wheel stiffness is not related to ride comfort. Wheels are alot stiffer than tyres and the frame so wheel stiffness is not something you can alter to improve comfort. Rim material can have an impact but radial stiffness need to be high for the wheel to last.

Spoke tension is not tuned to rider weight. Spoke tension has no impact on ride quality.

Rim internal width and tyre bead to bead distance do gave an impact as does tyre casing and tyre pressure. Frame material, tube dimaeters and bars and seat post and design is second order

JoO

by JoO

My suggestion for a winter/commuter set

kinlin xr22
Rear rim offset
hubs:
Miche Primato (very long bearing life out of the large 6001 C3 bearings and you can replace them with SKFs later)
or a shimano hub (cup and cone system) if you are willing to service it regularly (if not you could destroy the non replaceable bearing cup)

parajba

by parajba

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:30 pm

Rim internal width and tyre bead to bead distance do gave an impact as does tyre casing and tyre pressure. Frame material, tube dimaeters and bars and seat post and design is second order
Thanks, I am 100% sure that my issues started when I put these new 17C rims with a 23mm tyre. 15C rims with 23mm tyres were more comfortable as the tyre had a longer distance to cover to deform.

FYI I am still on the Conti 4 Season 23mm (haven’t installed the Vittoria yet) but decreased the pressure to 80/85PSI. Massive increase in comfort with no noticeable increase in RR (and the bike still rides well, don’t not feel like riding on rubber etc).

So I think we addressed my issue, I imagine the comfort will improve even further with the Vittoria.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Your tyre on the wider rim has a larger air volune and that a larger cushion. Sorry your wrong.

Longer distance to deform? Your issue was tyre pressure pure and simple. On a wider rim you can drop the pressures.