how to keep pump chuck from blowing off valve stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

chuck blows off smooth shaft valve stem around 80psi
have to hold it down with my toes while i continue to pump
this is getting kind of awkward

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Get a new gasket. Don't use the new gasket on threaded valves as they will ream out the gasket.

Is this a Silca head?

silvalis

by silvalis

Time to get a new pump.
Chasse patate

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I bought a 10-pack of pump heads for like 3usd. You fit them to most pump hoses. After 4 years of pumping 5 bikes/vehicles (many on latex tubes). I'm still on the first head. Works perfectly.

Seems only the head that came with the pump was crap.

Marin

by Marin

New gasket.

BTW; for SKS, a new head is actually easier to find and ridiculously cheap.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Get a new pump head (chuck). Unscrew/Cut off the old one, jam or screw the new one on. https://amzn.to/2HeqPNj https://amzn.to/2KHtAch

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

On my '80s vintage Silca floor pump, I removed the pump head from the hose, got a piece of velcro strap from a fabric store, cut a strip about 12"/30cm long with a hole punched for the pump head valve stem. I could then press the strap ends together over the tire to hold the head on the tube valve.

AJS914

by AJS914

If you have an old Silca pump with the black gasket, get the new red 242 gasket. It's a huge improvement.

https://silca.cc/products/silca-242-gas ... sta-chucks

Here's the other thing I learned about Silca pumps/gaskets after using one for 30+ years. You aren't supposed to smash the chuck all the way down onto the valve stem. It should just sit on top. The narrow part of the valve pokes through and the wider part of the valve stem perfectly mates to the inner curve of the gasket. If you poke it all the way through you start reaming out your gasket, especially with threaded valves. The other way to go is just to replace your gasket every 2-3 years and not worry about technique.

I also only buy Michelin Airstop tubes with smooth valve stems.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

thanks for the tips
i just wrapped a rubber band around the chuck and rim/tire to hold it on

cheers

JKolmo

by JKolmo

+1. Get a Hirame head or a Silca Hiro, big improvement and if used properly won’t slip off!

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:31 pm
If you have an old Silca pump with the black gasket, get the new red 242 gasket. It's a huge improvement.

https://silca.cc/products/silca-242-gas ... sta-chucks

Here's the other thing I learned about Silca pumps/gaskets after using one for 30+ years. You aren't supposed to smash the chuck all the way down onto the valve stem. It should just sit on top. The narrow part of the valve pokes through and the wider part of the valve stem perfectly mates to the inner curve of the gasket. If you poke it all the way through you start reaming out your gasket, especially with threaded valves. The other way to go is just to replace your gasket every 2-3 years and not worry about technique.

I also only buy Michelin Airstop tubes with smooth valve stems.
When my Silca pump finally gave out after 30+ years I cut the chuck off before throwing the rest away, I guess now it going on my new pump. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com