Shimano 10 cassette on DT hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Wheels are DT 1800 Spline, which I think means a freehub body with pawls as opposed to the ratchet one.

Do you just use the Shimano spacer? Or is there a special DT spacer available that I haven't heard of but will surely cost more than a blow job from a drug-addicted prostitute would?

Thanks.

Multebear

by Multebear

If the freehub body is for 11 speed, you just use any spacer available in order to fit the cassette. I have spacers from Chris King, White Industries and other companies. They all fit regardless of make and model.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

Original Shimano 10 speed cassettes (everything prior to Tiagra 4700 IIRC) required a 1mm spacer to fit a standard width freehub at that time. Shimano included this spacer with the cassette. Only certain Shimano 10 speed specific hubs did not need the 1mm spacer (very few of these seem to exist thankfully as they won’t accept anything but older 10 speed cassettes).

With 11 speed freehubs now those same older 10 speed cassettes need both the 1mm spacer that came with the cassette plus the ~2mm spacer that typically gets supplied with the hub to allow using non-11 speed cassettes. These are readily available from a variety of sources and not hub specific.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Thanks guys.

Tried the 10 cassette with just the Shimano spacer first of all but the job needed something thicker. Fortunately, I had a Mavic 1.75mm spacer which seems to work okay. I'm using the 1.75mm spacer alone.

I guess when it comes down to it you base your analysis on whether or not the cassette lockring tightens up correctly. In other words, you use a spacer which allows the tightening of the lockring while at the same time making sure enough lockring threads are engaged.

I guess you can't do anything more than that.

joejack951

by joejack951

Valbrona wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:50 pm
Thanks guys.

Tried the 10 cassette with just the Shimano spacer first of all but the job needed something thicker. Fortunately, I had a Mavic 1.75mm spacer which seems to work okay. I'm using the 1.75mm spacer alone.

I guess when it comes down to it you base your analysis on whether or not the cassette lockring tightens up correctly. In other words, you use a spacer which allows the tightening of the lockring while at the same time making sure enough lockring threads are engaged.

I guess you can't do anything more than that.
I suggest using the thin spacer in there as well. You may be bottoming out the lockring and not knowing it. While the cassette may seem tight, it would be tighter in the lockring wasn't bottomed but there is no good way to tell. The cassette was designed to be used with that spacer, though, and if you were to swap in a wheel with a correctly installed cassette your rear derailleur indexing would be off. I happened across a bike setup almost exactly how you describe setting up yours and had this issue. The bike has a 10 speed cassette on a Mavic freehub and someone had just used two 1mm spacers instead of the Mavic spacer plus the Shimano cassette spacer. A quick tweak but unnecessary had the wheel/cassette been properly assembled.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Pretty sure the official spacer width for a Shimano 11spd hub to run a 10spd cassette is 1.85mm.

joejack951

by joejack951

Bigger Gear wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:45 pm
Pretty sure the official spacer width for a Shimano 11spd hub to run a 10spd cassette is 1.85mm.
The 1.85mm spacer alone must be used with a 8/9 speed cassette on an 11 speed freehub. If you look at any 10 speed cassette (Shimano's road lineup, at least, with the one exception of Tiagra 4600) you'll see that they all come with a 1.0mm low spacer, too. This must be used in addition to the 1.85mm spacer in order to place the cassette properly.

Dura Ace 7900: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-7900-2869A.pdf
Ultegra 6700: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-6700-2924B.pdf
105 5700: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-5700-3016.pdf
Tiagra 4600: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-4600-3143.pdf

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

joejack951 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:15 pm
Bigger Gear wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:45 pm
The 1.85mm spacer alone must be used with a 8/9 speed cassette on an 11 speed freehub. If you look at any 10 speed cassette (Shimano's road lineup, at least, with the one exception of Tiagra 4600) you'll see that they all come with a 1.0mm low spacer, too. This must be used in addition to the 1.85mm spacer in order to place the cassette properly.
Yes, thanks for adding that. The 10spd casettes do have a spacer that is included, at least for Ultegra. But other brands like SRAM do not have this spacer. Either way, a 1.85mm spacer effectively converts the 11spd hub to 10spd.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

Bigger Gear wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:38 pm
Yes, thanks for adding that. The 10spd casettes do have a spacer that is included, at least for Ultegra. But other brands like SRAM do not have this spacer. Either way, a 1.85mm spacer effectively converts the 11spd hub to 10spd.
Yeah, I don't want to come off like a pedant, but the thread title says 'Shimano 10 cassette' so I just wanted to make it very clear which spacers should be used with those cassettes as it isn't exactly intuitive.