Continental Competition TdF Limited

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geoff

by Geoff

I thought you guys might get a kick out of these: https://www.continental-tires.com/bicyc ... on-tdf-ltd

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

O.K whoes selling them. I want a few.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Priit

by Priit

Nice, but actually not the same what pros use. This one still has butyl tube inside, real Pro Ltd has latex tubes.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I'm expressing a quite polarized opinion here, but any tubular with butyl tube inside = waste of money.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Denavelo

by Denavelo

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:36 am
I'm expressing a quite polarized opinion here, but any tubular with butyl tube inside = waste of money.
Totally defeats the purpose of going tubular...

The PRO LTD they use in the peloton, uses Latex tubes and comes in 25mm - 28mm tire widths. I had a set at one time.. The web page doesn't specify the inner tube, unless I missed it somewhere..
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It likey to be the supersonic tube. Conti competion tubs are great though. I have a set of the real pro ltds waiting to gone onto a bike. I must get out my tubular bikes again.

robertbb

by robertbb

Conti Comps are a superb tubular tire, despite the "butyl is shit" and "veloflex/vittoria latex are king" groupthink out there.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Isn’t this product simply the regular Conti Competitions that’s always been available to the public, except with a little yellow TDF logo on it? It’s not the Pro Ltd Allround which up to this point has never been available to the public. If it was, surely they’d be touting that along with the latex innertube, but I don’t see any mention of that.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

robertbb wrote:Conti Comps are a superb tubular tire, despite the "butyl is shit" and "veloflex/vittoria latex are king" groupthink out there.
Are they discernably better than Sprinters? Not a fan of Sprinters at all.

robertbb

by robertbb

RyanH wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:59 am
robertbb wrote:Conti Comps are a superb tubular tire, despite the "butyl is shit" and "veloflex/vittoria latex are king" groupthink out there.
I'm not sure - never used sprinters.

Etienne

by Etienne

RyanH wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:59 am
Sprinters are good winter tubs ... a little bit "sticky" in my opinion, I mean grippy in curve but "slow", their big plus is low price :idea:

Conti Comps are better, lower RR than Sprinters, very durable and still good grip ...

but when you have the opportunity to get the ProLtd version, then you get the "latex is better" comparison and not doubt in my mind, I even prefer the Conti Comp ProLtd to Veloflex tubs with regard to RR, but that's highly subjective :mrgreen:

Next test is the Veloflex Service Course ... best of both worlds, confort/road feeling of Veloflex and RR of Conti (except durability maybe ...)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Where do you actually find a spec sheet saying what type of inner tube it is?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I checked with Bike24 and they say it's a latex mix (inner tube)
Reading this also suggest it is latex
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/details ... de-france/

However, reading here, it says it's butyl
https://bikerumor.com/2019/07/26/contin ... -tubulars/

So what is it really?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Since the tub is lighter the easiest way of getting that is the using the supersonic tube. The casing TPI is 200 vs 180 TPI although we know this is not a true 200 TPI casing being 3 ply and they add the ply TPI together.

Conti also say material of the Pro's this moght mean the same rubber compounds. The tyre is marketed as the Pro Ltd but with a buytl tube.

sovereign

by sovereign

Is there any reason to not get these vs. the normal Competition? I read on another forum that the normal Competition has 2mm thicker tread? Doesn't seem correct...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com