New S-Works Turbo Rapid Air tubeless tyre

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The specialized sealant seems to be made by Joes no Flats. Not sure if it is a rebranding excersize or a special formula for the big S.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

kevinw

by kevinw

Frankie - B wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:59 pm
The specialized sealant seems to be made by Joes no Flats. Not sure if it is a rebranding excersize or a special formula for the big S.
The Mavic sealant is also made by Joe's I believe and it's good. No particles in that one though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

Group ride today, unable to avoid some debris resulted in an irregular puncture just off centre. The rapidair sealant did its job.. Couldn't completely seal the hole resulting in intermittent sprays resulting in a Jackson Pollock style splattering..

Did 2 more climbs before stopping for a plug and gas. Could of not needed any co2 to get home.. But had a bit more with the group before calling it a day.

No issues after that... Works as advertised.
Happy except for cleaning up the dried sealant... In every frigging nook and cranny. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

IceLed

by IceLed

sychen wrote: Did 2 more climbs before stopping for a plug and gas. Could of not needed any co2 to get home.. But had a bit more with the group before calling it a day.
What plug have you used?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

S-Works Venge 2019 Battleship
Previous bikes:
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc 2019
Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Agree C:62
Cube Peloton

sychen

by sychen

IceLed wrote:
sychen wrote: Did 2 more climbs before stopping for a plug and gas. Could of not needed any co2 to get home.. But had a bit more with the group before calling it a day.
What plug have you used?

Dynaplug.. Want to try the new Stan's... Those feathered plugs makes sense to me.

SamD

by SamD

sychen wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:05 am
IceLed wrote:
What plug have you used?

Dynaplug.. Want to try the new Stan's... Those feathered plugs makes sense to me.

sychen, are you happy with the dynaplugs? I'm thinking about picking up a Dynaplug Racer, which is a bit less thick than the new Stan's Dart. That'll fit a bit better in my pocket bag :)

sychen

by sychen

SamD wrote:
sychen wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:05 am
IceLed wrote:
What plug have you used?

sychen, are you happy with the dynaplugs? I'm thinking about picking up a Dynaplug Racer, which is a bit less thick than the new Stan's Dart. That'll fit a bit better in my pocket bag :)
It plugged the hole! So happy as I can be. Left for 2 weeks away and just came back to find it still plugged... So all good!

Size of the case... It fits into my silca saddle wrap with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Imaking20

by Imaking20

So I've been running these in 28s now on my 4.5 AR - which measure out to a plump 32mm. They are comfy, handle great as ever and generally I have no complaints.

Which doesn't stop me from pondering the next tires - already - which may be back to Pro One TLE (which I've not run on the AR). Which brings me to a hypothesis...

BRR tests show the Turbo Cotton 24mm and Pro One 25mm performing within .1w of eachother at every pressure tested. This is also with the Turbo Cotton using a butyl tube - which means the TC with a latex tube would be faster than the Pro One.

What are the chances the RapidAir is not faster than the Turbo Cotton?! It seems unlikely Spesh (on any manufacturer) would a new tire or product that wasn't an improvement over the previous benchmark. So, it stands to reason that the RA may be faster rolling than the TLE and we just don't have data to support it yet.

On that note, I've contacted BRR hoping to be able to send them a 26mm RA to test. Stay tuned...

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Imaking20 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:43 am
What are the chances the RapidAir is not faster than the Turbo Cotton?! It seems unlikely Spesh (on any manufacturer) would a new tire or product that wasn't an improvement over the previous benchmark. So, it stands to reason that the RA may be faster rolling than the TLE and we just don't have data to support it yet.
There is a chart directly from specialized putting RA inbetween TC and old SW Turbo tubeless tires. :thumbup:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Ah, poo.

Link?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Imaking20 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:09 am
Ah, poo.

Link?
Looks like they switched up the graphs for media releases. But this is what the specialized rep showed me on his laptop a while ago.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

That's what I read at the time it went out too
More aero than the turbo coton, open tubular, but not necessarly faster

Contrary to the gp5000 ( and tl ) wich is faster during the first 100 150km ( maybe due to the i don't know how to call it wax finish on it )
The rapid air should be faster once it's getting used and thinner

This french cycling entraineur tested it , and has a quite honest , more or less scientifc blog
Google trad it , you will like it I am sure
http://www.cyclesetforme.fr/test-tubele ... air-26-mm/

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Something doesnt add up. BRR tests the Turbo Cotton to be quite a bit slower than GP5k. Now two of you are saying that Specialized claims the RA as slower rolling than the TC, yet the article you provided suggests the RA is less than 1w slower than GP5k.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

No, they don't. GP5K = TC when both are clinchers (0.1W difference). What's faster on BRR, is the GP5K TL version, which is approx the same if both the previously mentioned tyres would have been tested with latex tubes.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Well, this thread is about a tubeless tire - so comparing to the GP5K TL seems appropriate...

And I'm not sure your comment does anything to address the intent of mine - which is the delta between GP5k and RA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com