What hubs, Carbon-Ti X-hub road vs Tune Mig70 and 170?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mendiz

by mendiz

Hi, my brother is going to buy a new wheelset for daily ride, he weighs between 72-75 kgs, good roads here. The rims will be Schmolke TLO 45 tubular, the spokes Sapim CxRay, but the decision is in the hubs. Carbon Ti X-hubs or Tune mig 70 front and Mag170 rear? I saw the good review of Jason from fairwheelbikes about Carbon Ti hubs but very little experience of another people. Real experience with both hubs?
Last edited by mendiz on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Carbon ti hubs are reliable and disassemble easily. They are good hubs with no downsides aparts from cost
They even have decent sized skf bearings.

Tune hubs are not as easy to take apart. That to me settles it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

Carbon Ti X-Hubs have an external bearing preload system whereas in Tune's hubs preload is adjusted with thin spacers placed on the axle under it's end caps. Tune says their hubs arrive preloaded from the factory and no adjustment should be necessary, but when talking about hubs at this price bracket, I would definetly like to have the possibility to quickly fine tune preload while the wheel is installed in the fork. On the flip side, sometimes these "adjustment systems" don't stay put, requiring more attention than more simplified solutions.

I have a Tune Mig70 hub and I'm happy with it, apart from that missing easy preload adjustment.

hambini

by hambini

Another vote for the carbon TI

Here is a comparison of friction between hubs

Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

dastott

by dastott

I have only used the Tune hubs but they are very loud when freewheeling. Not sure how the Carbon-Ti compares in this regard. The Tune hubs look great in red though.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

were are also talking small differences. 2W is within the margin of error in a power meter at 200W. Therefore while hambinis results are interesting I am not sure how much we should make hub choice judgements on them even though my favourite hubs come out best. It easy to get carried away. Also the NTN bearing fitted to the miche hubs are probably have non contacting seals to have such low friction. Thats great when it dry....

hambini

by hambini

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:20 am
were are also talking small differences. 2W is within the margin of error in a power meter at 200W. Therefore while hambinis results are interesting I am not sure how much we should make hub choice judgements on them even though my favourite hubs come out best. It easy to get carried away. Also the NTN bearing fitted to the miche hubs are probably have non contacting seals to have such low friction. Thats great when it dry....
The measurement accuracy for measuring friction in bearings is very high. It's less than 1%. And that is 1% of 5W (on the Shimano hubs) so those numbers are much more accurate than a power meter.

When freewheeling the freehub friction from the bearings is zero as they are not rotating so I don't know what the advantage people expect to gain from it.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

alcatraz

by alcatraz

hambini wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:38 am
bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:20 am
The measurement accuracy for measuring friction in bearings is very high. It's less than 1%. And that is 1% of 5W (on the Shimano hubs) so those numbers are much more accurate than a power meter.

When freewheeling the freehub friction from the bearings is zero as they are not rotating so I don't know what the advantage people expect to gain from it.

Hambini
Do you have any plans to measure what grease would offer a good balance between bearing life and friction loss for cycling applications?

I'm curious if that blue stuff ceramicspeed sells with a fill rate of 1/3 is one of the best or not.

Do you use LLB or LLU seals on the NTN bearings you've tested?

hambini

by hambini

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:23 am

Do you have any plans to measure what grease would offer a good balance between bearing life and friction loss for cycling applications?

I'm curious if that blue stuff ceramicspeed sells with a fill rate of 1/3 is one of the best or not.

Do you use LLB or LLU seals on the NTN bearings you've tested?
Once it's up to temperature the grease will go runny.

Based on Ceramicspeed trying to make money out of pushing ceramic bearings, if there is a difference in their lubricant I don't imagine it will be much.

All of the NTN retrofits were LLB. The SKF in the Carbon TI hub was 2RS (LLU), this is one of the reasons why I would get that as my first choice.

Hambini

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Regardless of friction etc
I would avoid carbon ti hub , they are too light and the shell body is too fragile

Friend of mine, on a mtb xc pair , riding it 2 3 times a month max
Has the body cracking near the spokes holes

I would suggest Borg Hub
but don't know if it will be ok for yours rims

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I've been running Carbon Ti boost hubs on my 29er rigid without any issues. This includes, bombing rocky descents and riding in hella dirt conditions.
All parts break, so that shouldn't deter you from buying them...
I've exclusively ridden Tune hubs on all of my bikes, because they're amazingly light and beautiful hubs.

I'm looking to build up a set of Carbon-Ti hubs to deep carbon wheels, because the Carbon Ti hubs on my English 29er roll forever!

It's a toss up between the Tune and Carbon-Ti, because I feel like they both perfrom the same. The 70/170 combo is pretty solid with a maintenance free life span.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Hambini I was not commenting on your measurement accuracy. I don't know your methods. My comment is based on what people can notice. Given the difference you have identified is within the measurement error of us punters we can never really measure this so the other variables on the day will probably swap the small gain of good bearings. I like good bearings too but my rational for using them in hub worthy of them is to improve reliability rather than reducing hub drag.

PS I hope you used the c3 clearance bearing as I have found with miche hub std 6001 bearings die fairly quickly in these hubs. I have had difficulty in getting ntn 6001 c3 bearings. Do you have them.

hambini

by hambini

BM0p700f, agree entirely. you wouldn't be able to detect 3W.

The guy who has the primato hubs fitted NTN CN bearings. He hasn't had any trouble that I am aware of.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I'm suprised to see Bora CULT perform on par with budget Novatec A291SB bearings. I don't have direct experience with cup-and-cone, but riders swear by it that the hub spin forever. Even Bora USB bearings with Finish Line Extreme grease. The secret sauce is all about the grease.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

I am running two sets of Carbon Ti X-Hubs Road SP, one with 36 POE and one newer with 54. So far the old one needed bearing adjustment after 1,000kms, otherwise there are no functional issues.

The 56 POE were really loud when new (painful for the ears when cleaning the drive train) and had noticable more drag than the old one, but after a while both problems disappeared on their own.

Originally they sold non contact bearings, but I am not sure anymore as the replacement bearings are full contact RS now (they were not before, RZ):

http://www.carbon-ti.com/products/hubs/ ... earing-kit