Roval CLX 64 Tubeless Tape Failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

R1Alvin

by R1Alvin

Hi guys I run the Roval CLX64’s Tubeless on the road w/ Stans Race Sealant and the tape that was installed when I bought the wheels marked tubeless ready. I typically run 86-90psi. Sometimes I bring it up to 100psi when filling with air but bump it down to 86 from there before every ride. I’m in Texas and its been extremely hot lately 95-112F (normal for our area).

I was loading my bike up on my vehicle today after filling both tires to 86psi and my rear wheel released all of the air through the small seep hole on the side of the carbon wheel. I knew immediately the rim tape failed.

When I removed my tire and inspected the inner rim, I found the failure point on one spoke hole and possibly another. The tape appears very thin and I’m guessing it just couldnt handle the ambient heat and pressure but I’m glad that this didnt fail on the street because I race crits with this setup and push the bike really hard.

I have concluded that this black Roval “tubeless ready” tape that comes installed on the CLX wheels is inadequate and a safety hazard. Has anyone else experienced this same issue? Are there better options for taping these wheels such as aftermarket tapes like Stans? Do these tapes work better? I’m not against purchasing and installing the tape myself, but I dont really do this often so I just want to make sure I have the best tape for road bikes first. I will be bringing this to the attention of my LBS tomorrow and see what they recommend as well.

Attached below are photos, first two show the failure, the 3rd photo seemed right on the edge of failing and there’s a bubble under the tape near the spoke hole.
Attachments
3EFA655C-7FF4-4546-AE69-4608BDFE8CF9.jpeg
943BD380-91A1-452F-8F8A-C7F4C84BAFCE.jpeg
C534F9B5-0F7E-41AB-8547-F0256F249566.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Etienne

by Etienne

Hi, is there 1 or 2 layers of tubeless tape on the rim ?

Generally, only 1 layer is enough for mtb - gravel low pressure tires but 2 layers are mandatory for high pressure road tires.

Orlok

by Orlok

Obviously the Roval tape isn't strong enough for high pressure road tires when you see the first two pictures.

Don't bother and (remove the Roval tape) put one layer of the Schwalbe tubeless tape which is fit for road tires.
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Check the spoke hole for burrs too.

My favorite tape is 3M 8992 or the generic equivalent. It is commonly known as green poly tape or green powder coat masking tape. Mavic has started using it as their rim tape.

Orlok

by Orlok

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41 pm
Check the spoke hole for burrs too.

My favorite tape is 3M 8992 or the generic equivalent. It is commonly known as green poly tape or green powder coat masking tape. Mavic has started using it as their rim tape.
I used that too, they called also PET tape.!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Orlok wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 am

I used that too, they called also PET tape.!

I've never used the Schwalbe tape since the PET tape is so cheap and comes in large rolls. Do you think the Schwalbe tape is better, and do you know who makes it?

Orlok

by Orlok

I don't think that the Schwalbe tape is better then the PET tape. I started 6 years ago with Stan's yellow tape, after that I bought Tesa 4289 tape (witch is the same) and a few years later after mounting problems with theirs tires Pro One Schwalbes send me their tape to use. But now I bought recently PET tape in China and used it with no problems for so far. :D

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yeah Stan’s/Tesa 4289/4298 and 3M 8896/8898 also have a lower quality “natural rubber” adhesive vs the 3M 8992 PET tape’s silicone adhesive. I quickly noticed better adhesion and waterproofing with the 899X tapes.

R1Alvin

by R1Alvin

Okay thanks for all of the input. I had my shop remove the Roval tape and install the Yellow Stans tape (only 1 Lap per wheel as they advised 2 laps could possibly interfere with the bead of the tire against the hook in the wheel. )

I plan on taping my wheels next go around so, no issues with 3M 8992 in really hot climates? I'd like for anyone else to post up any luck you have with different tapes for these wheels.

Side note, I had to spend about an hour picking sealant boogers from my front 26C S-Works Turbo Road Tubeless tire bead for it to finally seat on the wheel but my 28C S-Works Turbo 2Bliss rear tire popped right onto the bead no issue. Weird.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

3M 8992’s silicone adhesive is better against heat than Stan’s natural rubber adhesive. It’s the same adhesive used in polyimide/Kapton tape, except the tape itself isn’t as frustrating to work with as Kapton.

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

I am having the same issue. The air is leaking from the small seep hole.

I replaced the rim tape with dt Swiss rim tape using 25mm. No luck. Air is still coming out from the swap hole.

I tried double tape the rim, still the same. No luck. Any idea what when wrong? I can hear the air leaking from the seep hole, but not coming out from the spoke area.

It's a bad rim tape job, or it a faulty valve?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

CLX's are always a struggle with the tape.. generally it's the vavle if it's coming from that little hole. Believe it on not a hole punch the tape for the valve, 2 layers of tape and even heat the tape up with a heat gun just a little. All that ups my success rate a little bit, but not 100%.

might have to try that 3m 8xxx stuff
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

Hmm.. What size of the rim tape do you guys use for clx 64? Probably will try the 3m tape.

Swap the valve, no luck, still the same can hear the air coming out from the seep hole at around 80 psi onwards.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1”/25mm for a 21mm internal rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:07 am
1”/25mm for a 21mm internal rim.