Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon DB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

Basically 30 vs 40mm depth. Both are 19/26mm wide and tubeless compatible with the same hub design.

I'm on the fence. What do you think?

edit: I finally went R0c db. See below post.
Last edited by jlok on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

silvalis

by silvalis

I vote deeper.

Unless you are putting them on a classic looking bike with skinny tubes...
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

silvalis wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:35 am
I vote deeper.

Unless you are putting them on a classic looking bike with skinny tubes...
You do have a point :beerchug: and thanks everyone.
Speed 40DB XDR order placed but have to wait until the end of July :noidea:
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jlok

by jlok

Sorry guys, I turned my back to the Speed 40 db...

1. The presentation of the products by Fulcrum is top!

2. First thing first, the rear hub. My LBS didn't stock XDr. It's a swap from after-sales XDr body. There is no step-down ring to use XD cassette.

Monoblock CNC rear hub with the AFS lock ring. Threads are outside of the hub. Only the supplied lock rings are compatible. Do you know of any adaptor to use 6-bolt rotor on AFS?

3. The front NDS. Just the reverse of the rear hub.

Up close on the DS with preload adjustment ring. 12x100 end caps are installed out of factory.

Carbon fibre hub body connecting the flanges.

The hubs are beautiful apart from the "USB" stickers :noidea: . The layer of paint looks like very thick tho. The spokes are what setting the Racing Zero apart from the others.

4. Here comes the rim. The layer of twill carbon reinforcing the spoke holes is clearly visible.

The 30mm rim profile is of snub nose design. Aero on a 30mm rim? :noidea:

Kudos to Fulcrum for putting the 3 drain holes, serial no. and certilogo on the NDS on each rim.

The faint line showing where the molds meet.

The internal profile. Note the ridges are the shoulder. Looks like it should hold the beads securely.

Supplied tubeless valves fit perfectly.

5. Front wheel weight w/o lock ring and valve 695g

Rear wheel weight w/o lock ring and valve 808g

So it's 1503g for the pair. Would it be lighter with HG or Campy free hub body?

Tubeless valve 8g for the pair.

Lock rings with washers 24g.

6. ASTM Category 2 approved. Are you going to use this wheelset in CX?

End caps for 15x100 and 12x135. O-rings are so-called DRP kit. Swap the factory installed o-rings when you want to ride in CX. Mud and sand resistance!

Tire lever, lock nut key to swap end caps and the magnet/spoke holder.

UT-WHDB001. Are you a cyclist or mechanic?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Nice wheels. Thanks for the pics. My riding buddy has the non-DB version and I helped him service his wheels.

Interesting that the rear has 21 spokes vs 24 on the Bora DB. Perhaps that’s what the twill reinforcements are for when fewer spokes are used. Disks generate significantly more forces on the spokes.

Have no idea on the weight of the XDR compared to Campy and Shimano. But by the looks of it it’s a tad heavier.

If you are a friction weenie you can clean out the original bearing grease and replace it with FinishLine Extreme grease and with a lower fill rate for a drastic reduction in bearing drag. I do this on my Boras (both USB and CULT).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hannawald

by hannawald

Claimed weight is 1450g, real 1503g (xdr freehub part of the excess weight). My Fulcrum Speed 40db were 1515, claimed 1470g. I came across another pair which was even heavier. Seems Campagnolo is now faking weight as others..with Campy tubulars I was always well under the claimed weight.
Other than weight beautiful wheels.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

On that faint moulding line. My Bora 50 came without them but my Bora 35 had them. They bothered me so I filed them away on the 35. After filing they looked perfect just like my 50s. Not sure how Campy missed this small detail. But If you take your time you can remove them. I used a small dremel bit and worked it by hand. The line on my 35 looked way bigger than yours.

jlok

by jlok

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:44 pm
Nice wheels. Thanks for the pics. My riding buddy has the non-DB version and I helped him service his wheels.

Interesting that the rear has 21 spokes vs 24 on the Bora DB. Perhaps that’s what the twill reinforcements are for when fewer spokes are used. Disks generate significantly more forces on the spokes.

Have no idea on the weight of the XDR compared to Campy and Shimano. But by the looks of it it’s a tad heavier.

If you are a friction weenie you can clean out the original bearing grease and replace it with FinishLine Extreme grease and with a lower fill rate for a drastic reduction in bearing drag. I do this on my Boras (both USB and CULT).

I'm actually kind of worrying about only 7 spokes pushing the rim uphill. Anyone could shed some light on the dynamic of the 2:1 spoke pattern? Fulcrum says this is a better climbing wheelset than Speed 40 db. Why is it so? The real world weight difference is within 20g!

Regarding to the bearing drag, I think I will be more than satisfied with the way it is now, as I came from i9 hubs with radial cartridge bearings. I would probably try your advice after one year of use to learn how to service my wheels.

jlok

by jlok

hannawald wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:56 pm
Claimed weight is 1450g, real 1503g (xdr freehub part of the excess weight). My Fulcrum Speed 40db were 1515, claimed 1470g. I came across another pair which was even heavier. Seems Campagnolo is now faking weight as others..with Campy tubulars I was always well under the claimed weight.
Other than weight beautiful wheels.
I could only comfort myself that it's lighter than my past wheels SES 4.5 AR :noidea: , and the rim finishing quality is much better than Enve...... My only wish now is to ride it more than 10k km before I got bored again :p

jlok

by jlok

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:45 am
On that faint moulding line. My Bora 50 came without them but my Bora 35 had them. They bothered me so I filed them away on the 35. After filing they looked perfect just like my 50s. Not sure how Campy missed this small detail. But If you take your time you can remove them. I used a small dremel bit and worked it by hand. The line on my 35 looked way bigger than yours.

I'm seriously lacking of workmanship. I'd leave it as is... but yea, Campy could have done it better.

Bcos Italian? Just kidding :beerchug:

hannawald

by hannawald

Yours are made in Italy? My Fulcrums Speed 40 db were made in Romania.

jlok

by jlok

yea, fwiw, at least the label says so.

matteof93

by matteof93

did you find any center lock to 6-holes adapter that works with the AFS lockrings of the fulcrum wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com