Fulcrum Speed 40 db excess weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

Thanks. It´s one of the options to keep them..unfortunately I don´t know any online shop who is able to weight wheels for me and select the lightest Speeds from the pack..
It was just a lot of money and those extra 40g are disappointment, i was expecting claimed weight or less as was my experince with Campy tubulars:(
For the same weight you can find 50mm wheelsets, not 40mm, from big brands, so Fulcrums are on heavier side, not exactly heavy..with disc brake bike you need to shave weight wherever possible to end with something reasonable:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Other manufacturers will also have the -/+5% weight issue. What if you add 5% to the list weight of other manufacturers?

Regards to disk brakes the wheels are the last thing to shave weight from. Each spoke on a disk wheel is carrying more load than an equivalent rim-brake wheel. That's beause all of the braking forces are transferred via the spokes as opposed to the rim. Fulcrum added 3 spokes extra per wheel (18 to 21 on the front). But this is hardly enough to counteract the extra forces from braking. If you look around here you'll see wheel problems such as the spoke pulling though the rim on Roval disk wheels. You'll be better off saving weight on other components.

I just looked up the specs. for the Campy Bora WTO 45 DB. The wheels have more spokes than the Fulcrum Speed 40 DB (24/24 vs. 21/21) with a claimed weight of 1,520g. It would be interesting to find out the true weight of the WTO as the WTO has six extra spokes and 5mm more depth but at the same weight as the Fulcrum...

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Build your own wheels and confirm the actual rim weight before having them sent to you. That's how you get a light wheelset. The spokes and hubs are very consistent but rims aren't. They're hand made.

For alloy rims it's just embarassing to not have accurate weights. Those components should all be consistent in manufacturing.

I have 1219gr 38mm carbon clincher wheels with cheap taiwanese hubs. I'm very happy with how the build came out. For smoothest rolling hubs I'd take a cup/cone hub like shimano/fulcrum/campy. Pity there aren't any super light ones. For my low body weight I can get away with extralite hubs, and enjoy their smoothness and low weight without too many drawbacks. For a superlight build I'm tempted to find a J-bend cyberrear 28h and lace it 21 spoke. It's just so hard to find one.

inspclouseau

by inspclouseau

Many months later - did you keep them?

How are they? Shopping for something in this depth and these and the Mavic Cosmics are winning so far.

hannawald

by hannawald

I have returned them so I can't comment on them.
I bought Light Bicycle 56mm rims with CarbonTi hubs.
They are about 1415g if i remember well. Rims are spot on 460g, Light Bicycle weighted them for me. Hard to say how they compare to Fulcrums..LB are among the best in terms of aero (Hambini test), pretty light for its depth, CarbonTi hubs rolls really well (Hambini test), no problems so far, cheaper, no crosswinds problems, make my 25mm tyre 29mm real size, hard to say if there is some hidden magic in Fulcrums I am missing..

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Returning wheels because they are 45g over - That bothers you? FFS. I dont understand the logic of some people. If you buy online thinking you return if you change your mind then dont buy online and go to a showroom and a buy from there.

Remorse returns as it's called for whatever reason does waste resources. Fuel is used transporting the goods back and forth.
Has no one got the memo about our sustainable way of life. 45g its difficult to know where to begin here.

I make my living of the web and dont find returns to be a big problem in fact wheels hardly ever get returned which is good. However some of the reasons for returns I get, makes me wonder why the customer even goes online in the first place. We should take responsibility for our decisions instead of asking the rest of society to pay.

hannawald

by hannawald

Well, I asked couple of shops whether they can put them on scale for me, all of them refused that it is impossible due to logistics. Local shops don't stock them and also prices are higher.

I bought them from UK and sending back was not cheap, but i didn't want to be disappointed for this amount of money. If the manufacturer hadn't lied about the weight, no fuel would have been wasted. From my previous 2 Campagnolo tubular wheelsets i was used to Campa not cheating on weight. Maybe weight doesn't matter to you, but we may have different priorities. At least I warned others so they know what to expect.

And I guess all this forum support waste of resources because people buy new bikes even if they don't need them. And you being in the industry support it. Or do you tell your customer they don't need buy new models because old ones still ok? ;-)

PrimO

by PrimO

I'm guessing that Fulcrum quoted the weight of the Speed 40 rimbrake version and not the DB version which are generally slightly heavier.

I have a set of Fulcrum Quattro carbon rim brake wheels and the quoted weight is 1550g however mine weigh 1482g and i have seen some owners state theirs weight as little as 1450g. I also have the Quattro DBs on my other bike and they weight 1530g which is still under the manufacturers weight but almost 50g heavier than the rim brake version.

s4life

by s4life

It's the free hub. Shimano free hub is heavier than campagnolo

sychen

by sychen

hannawald wrote: If the manufacturer hadn't lied about the weight, no fuel would have been wasted.
Production variations isn't lying about weight... 44g over 1470g is less than 3%..bit harsh to say they are deceitful. To be honest.. Seems extremely pedantic to quibble about such a small weight variation on a non weight weenie wheelset. If it's a sub 1kg set.. At the top end price range.. Sure.. But not for a set around 1500g.. Just my thoughts.

But spend your money how you want.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk