eBay 990gr climbing wheels.

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Have any members bought, used any wheels off eBay. I’ve seen a set, spec looks really good. Components are decent, one person that I know of has bought a set and was very happy with them. I’m thinking of buying them just for hill climbing, I’ll have the spoke tension check after delivery. Any thoughts on them, comments and advice appreciated.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/990g-Carbon- ... 2040579089

by Weenie

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I could ride these wheels and be happy. I can't speak for everyone though...

I'm not afraid to tinker and service them.

The weaknesses of these wheels are:

1. The hubs use 6802 bearings for the hubshell. They are small and can't support a big load. Unsuitable except for the lightest riders. Expect more frequent maintenance to keep the hubs running smooth.

2. Chinese wheels are tested by chinese riders. You can expect rim/spokes/nipples to be chosen and designed to support lower weight riders compared to westeners.

3. Unspectacular braking.

4. Alloy freehub bodies are prone to notching when using non-unibody cassettes.

This is not to say a chinese wheel can't be used by a heavier rider. It's just to say that compromises done to lighten a wheel will dig deeper into structural stability and durability of that wheel than a wheelset aimed at westeners will do.

I'm a westener living in China and I enjoy chinese products a lot. My chinese friends all ride western brands and drop their jaws noticing my equipment being 99% chinese, but I'm a light rider that this stuff is all well tested for, and I have the patience to service my own stuff.

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

That good the hear all the good and bad points. I’m quite a lite rider 60kg, I also do most of my bike servicing. Fitting hubs bearings are in my capabilities, these will only be used for hill climbing tt races not as a daily set. So hopefully the brakes will not be used all that often. Thank you for your honest opinions on these wheels, they tick all the boxes for me.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Compare price/reviews for similar products on aliexpress. You could maybe save some dough.

alanyu

by alanyu

I'm from China and I've tried several super light weight Chinese carbon wheels from my friends.
I'm only 55kg, under the limit of all the SL wheels.

Actually, after several ridings with these SL wheels, I decided not to buy this SL kind, as I don't need a wheelset for scale.

I felt the light weight when start slow accelerating from zero. Climbing seems to be nice, but I can't tell much difference between these and a normal weight 30/38mm carbon wheelset. Sprint @ > 500W is much worse than normal weight ones. These SL wheels are not stiff, consuming your power from pedals to ground. Maybe 24/28 spokes can make them stiffer. Descent is also slower due to such a low profile.