Time trial wheel setup Zipp --> ENVE

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

808 front HED Jet rear with 23mm corsa or 24mm cottons. In all the time I've run this setup I've never felt the need to pull the front wheel off despite having had everything from a 202, 404, HED Stinger6, Reynolds Attack and Strike, CLX64 and C60 tub fronts to use. The disc keeps the rear predictable and the first gen 808FC is stable enough if you just keep the power on rather than backing off and letting the wind drive you. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wintershade wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:28 pm
What PSI are you running the ENVEs? Their chart suggests I run tubeless at 60 PSI (155lb) which just seems bonkers for a TT. Also good god, what a bear it was to mount GP5K TL tires on the ENVEs. So much harder than the NSWs. If I get a flat that a plug can't repair, I'm done. Oh, and installing sealant in a disc wheel -- boy that made a mess.... :=/
The GP5K TL stretch permanently once inflated, so they were quite a bit easier to remove and then remount compared to new. Like you I felt like I was going to break my 5.6s when mounting new GP5K TLs.

For 25mm tubeless at your weight, I would probably run between 80-85psi for a short TT...maybe 10psi lower for chip seal.

by Weenie

wintershade

by wintershade

Nefarious86 wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:45 am
808 front HED Jet rear with 23mm corsa or 24mm cottons. In all the time I've run this setup I've never felt the need to pull the front wheel off despite having had everything from a 202, 404, HED Stinger6, Reynolds Attack and Strike, CLX64 and C60 tub fronts to use. The disc keeps the rear predictable and the first gen 808FC is stable enough if you just keep the power on rather than backing off and letting the wind drive you.
This concept of "keeping on the power" was GREAT advice. I tested it out on a ride this weekend -- things got rather ridiciliously windy. I thought about pushing into the wind and really keeping on the power and it REALLY helped. I sailed right through. In the past, I'd always back off when I anticipated a gust, which is suppose is the natural "flight" instinct, clearly I was just "doing it wrong."

It's like driving cars I guess -- when you feel the wheels starting to slip your natural instinct is to let off the gas (or worse, tap the brake) but that unweights the rear wheels. The right thing to do is give it more throttle.

Anyhow, awesome man. That picture is pretty badass too BTW.

I've been running the ENVE 5 + Disc setup a couple weeks now and just love it. I think I can ride that setup pretty much in all conditions. I'm sure an 808 or 7 front might be a few watts faster in some situations, but I like knowing I have a wheel that I can ride no matter what the conditions. Just one less thing to obsess about on race morning.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

You will always be faster on a wheel you feel comfortable on unless you're up into the 45+km/h range in perfect conditions.

Glad the advice helped, it's counter intuitive as you say but it works.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk