2:1 placing on disc brake wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

A number of manufacturers use this now and I am struggling to see why.

All I can see is down sides.
1) spoke tension is un equal. On one wheel measured today rear ds showed 2.3 on the sapim gauge and 2.8 deflection on the nds rear. While I dont have a conversion chart for this spoke the tension balance feels worse than if a disc brake huh had been laced to a 3mm offset asymmetric rim.

As Matt Ford in that thesis pointed out tension inbalance reduces radial stiffness a bit.

2) the ends spoke bracing angle is limited by the pesky rotor/brake caliper so lateral stifness is reduced over a conventional hub.

So why lace this way for disc brake wheels. It can work very well for rim brake wheels. I just dont get it for disc brake wheels.

Perhaps some one can point to a technical advantage that I have not considered.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I think 2:1 is seen as a modern solution to dished wheels with torsional loads.

They are probably trying to jump on the campy bandwagon.

My 21h 38mm rim brake rear without asymmetric rim and without a large offset nds flange, rides very nicely. Dead straight true after hammering 30% cobble climbs at 400+w. I was expecting brake rub but seems no. I wouldn't recommend it however unless you are a recreational rider with a ww heart around 65kg.
Attachments
857330.jpg
Screenshot_2017-06-05-08-44-04-354_com.taobao.taobao.png
Last edited by alcatraz on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'm not talking about rim brake wheels. There 2:1 is fine. I build 2:1 rim brake wheels. It disc brakes with 2:1 lacing I am talking about. Please read my post again.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Spoke fatigue must be less of an issue to warrant fear of NDS spokes breaking. They concentrate the spokes where the tension and/or bracing angle is lacking to improve lateral stiffness. On dished wheels it's on one side.

2:1 occurs in both disc and rim brake. Why isolate disc brake wheels for your questioning? It's a bit like asking why they use both internal and external nipples on disc brake wheels. 1. Is the wheel still dished? Check, = 2:1 viable option. This is my theory.

I've seen 2:1 hubs where both sides are crossed. This could be a good solution for disc brake hubs to efficiently transfer torque.

I'm not convinced 2:1 is better in dished wheels but after doing my own amateur testing I haven't noticed anything to avoid 2:1 yet.