Disk wheel recommendation needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I have a friend who's looking to lighten his Cannondale Caad 10 disk with some lighter wheels. His current wheels are some low end Fulcrums that weight close to 2000 grams. He's about 180-lbs and has a budget uo to $1000.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Just pick something from Farsports or Light-Bicycle and he's good to go.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Or ask a wheel builder.

For 1000 usd I would get the carbon ti centrelock hubs in 24h drilling and kinlin xr31rts rims. Weight 1530g with cx tays. No doubt some would say the hed Belgium+ rins which are lighter but I prefer the deeper more aero rim.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:50 am
Or ask a wheel builder.

For 1000 usd I would get the carbon ti centrelock hubs in 24h drilling and kinlin xr31rts rims. Weight 1530g with cx tays. No doubt some would say the hed Belgium+ rins which are lighter but I prefer the deeper more aero rim.
Yeah I'm that guy who would say get the HED Belgium Plus. I have 2 centerlock wheelsets built with them, one with King R45 and the other with DT240S, both 28/28 and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. They've both been bomber for me, and the King set has seen a fair bit of gravel and rough riding on my gravel bike. The rear rim even has a little dent from an errant rock, I'd hate to gouge up a carbon rim doing that type of riding.

Between disc and rim bikes I've got 5 wheelsets with HED Belgium/Belgium Plus and they are on my bikes for 90% of the riding. My Enve wheels don't see much action.

Multebear

by Multebear

Just out of curiosity, why are you recommending aluminum rims for a disc brake setup?

Bondurant

by Bondurant

Presumably because of the budget.

dim

by dim

Bigger Gear wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:28 am
bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:50 am
Or ask a wheel builder.

Yeah I'm that guy who would say get the HED Belgium Plus. I have 2 centerlock wheelsets built with them, one with King R45 and the other with DT240S, both 28/28 and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. They've both been bomber for me, and the King set has seen a fair bit of gravel and rough riding on my gravel bike. The rear rim even has a little dent from an errant rock, I'd hate to gouge up a carbon rim doing that type of riding.

Between disc and rim bikes I've got 5 wheelsets with HED Belgium/Belgium Plus and they are on my bikes for 90% of the riding. My Enve wheels don't see much action.
I am also a happy owner of HED Belgium Plus rims with Chris King R45 Hubs (ceramic bearing upgrade) with Sapim Cx Ray spokes (20/24).... amazing wheels and mine have thousands of miles on some crappy roads and have never had to be retrued from day 1 .... mine are rim brakes though.....

Downside to the Chris King Hubs is that you have to get them serviced from time to time and you need to find an LBS who is skilled at this

If I were to get disc brake rims, I'd probably look at something in carbon though with a decent spoke count if I were to also do a bit of 'off road'
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TonyM

by TonyM

dim wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:59 pm
Downside to the Chris King Hubs is that you have to get them serviced from time to time and you need to find an LBS who is skilled at this
All hubs have to be serviced from time to time......Sorry for that I could not resist.....LOL...

And you are right with Chris King, they should be serviced by an authorized CK dealership.

I personally love the DT Swiss hubs (espceially the ratchet system) and they are so easy to service yourself!

dim

by dim

TonyM wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:06 pm
dim wrote:
All hubs have to be serviced from time to time......Sorry for that I could not resist.....LOL...

And you are right with Chris King, they should be serviced by an authorized CK dealership.

I personally love the DT Swiss hubs (espceially the ratchet system) and they are so easy to service yourself!
my Chris King hubs get serviced twice a year (I do high mileage) .... £65 per service (for front and rear) .... i.e. £130 per year
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TonyM

by TonyM

dim wrote:
TonyM wrote:
dim wrote:

my Chris King hubs get serviced twice a year (I do high mileage) .... £65 per service (for front and rear) .... i.e. £130 per year
How many km is recommended between 2 services for the CK hubs?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Over here the heds are so expensive that you would blow the budget with hed rims are light hubs like the carbon ti so for the budget and the weight target my original suggestion is still good. Kinlin for me and I have built with hundreds and they never crack. They are nice and round, flat and so good i struggle to actually find a practical way the hed rims are superior. Now the kinlins are coming in Matt finish even the aesthetic advantage has shrunk.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

bm0p700f wrote:Over here the heds are so expensive that you would blow the budget with hed rims are light hubs like the carbon ti so for the budget and the weight target my original suggestion is still good. Kinlin for me and I have built with hundreds and they never crack. They are nice and round, flat and so good i struggle to actually find a practical way the hed rims are superior. Now the kinlins are coming in Matt finish even the aesthetic advantage has shrunk.
I'm with you... xr31t is hard to beat. Both sets I've built were flat, round and built up easily.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dim

by dim

TonyM wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:55 pm
dim wrote:
TonyM wrote:
dim wrote:

How many km is recommended between 2 services for the CK hubs?
from the Chris King manual:

http://www.starbike.com/manuals/r45-r45 ... -21-16.pdf

Rear Hub Maintenance schedule
Chris King R45 and R45 Disc Hubs are designed to provide long life and high performance.
Beyond an occasional adjustment, the only maintenance necessary is cleaning and lubricating
the RingDrive (see “The RingDrive”, pg. 8), and re-lubricating the bearings (see “Service of the
bearings”, pg. 10). Riding conditions will determine how often to service your hubs. As a beginning guideline, your hubs should be serviced every 6-12 months in normal and dry conditions
and every 3 months in wet or muddy conditions.
The Chris King bearings in your new hub are of the highest quality. However angular contact
bearings will settle and eventually wear in with use. Since looseness or “play” in the bearing
assembly can develop as a result of wear, Chris King hubs have been designed with an adjustable bearing preload mechanism and any normal play can be eliminated (see the appropriate
“Adjustment” section, pgs. 3, 5, 6 and 9).
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 am
I have a friend who's looking to lighten his Cannondale Caad 10 disk with some lighter wheels. His current wheels are some low end Fulcrums that weight close to 2000 grams. He's about 180-lbs and has a budget uo to $1000.
Caden wheels
https://carbonbikewheels.com.au/en/prod ... r-wheelset
1160g for tubular 50mm
1430g for clincher 50mm

About $1800 Aus$ About $1250US$

Great guy to deal with, shipping included in the price

I had a pair of the tubulars, great wheels
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc