Flatted Tubular - Magically sorted itself or has it?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Djakninn

by Djakninn

With only 10k left to go home yesterday, my tub flatted halfway up a climb. I checked the tire and couldn't see any cuts/puncture marks or anything sharp sticking in it, so I pumped it back up and resumed. This happened another 2 times until I finally made it home. I took the bike in, got showered up and had a bite to eat then went to take the bike out to give it a quick was before having a look at the tire. At this time, the tire was completely flat, so I pumped it up to 100psi, gave the bike a wash then had to go and pick the kids up.
Long story short - I forgot about the puncture until this morning so decided to investigate further and was surprised to find that it was holding the full 100 psi?????
Any ideas to what happened? I can only think that air was passing through the valve core and for whatever reason it's re-seated itself properly again. Tire is a continental Force tub and I had pumped it up before the ride before hand. Also, had cycled about 80km's before this happened.

by Weenie

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Sounds like a crappy valve core. When they get old sometimes they hold air, sometimes not.

Are you using valve extenders? What kind? Do you always tighten the little presta nut on top after inflating?

C36

by C36

With the valves that you can unscrew you may have had a slow leak and during last inflation you tighten it without noticing it.
Happened on one of my Veloflex.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Djakninn

by Djakninn

I'm away with work for a week as from tomorrow, so i'll clean and tighten the core and pressurise up and see if there's any change on my return.
Oh, i use continental valve extenders FWIW. Tire and extender has been in use for 3 months with no prior problems!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The extender has an o-ring too. If you overtighten them the o-ring can get damaged. The same goes with the valve core.

So take it apart, inspect, grease the o-ring a bit then it should be ok for another year.