NEW FERNWEG LIGHTWEIGHTS

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
kgt

by kgt

I don't like the decals either (not the most inspired graphic design obviously) but I believe that in terms of performance Daveaero has a reason to be excited. At least according to this oldish Tour magazine test:

https://lightweight.info/de/de/news-pre ... 013_05.pdf

by Weenie

Calnago

by Calnago

Ha, you crack me up @Kgt.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Daveaero

by Daveaero

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:32 pm
Agree on the decals... horrible, and horrible from the marketing side as well... no normal person is going to look at that writing and come away with "Lightweight" at first glance. I think they'd have to know what it's "supposed to say" before even trying to decipher it.

But aside from the graphics, I just can't see those being any less scary, and probably more so, than their lower profile versions on a gusty mountain descent. Lots of cross sectional surface area there, from rim to spokes to hub flange... Good luck.
But, that's partly the point. "a normal person" isn't going to know or even care about the swankyness of the brand or their performance for that matter. Asethetically speaking, to the average person it's just a black wheel with typical white highlights anyway so, to them it doens't matter. But, if your "in the know" so to speak, you'll immediately recognize the brand whether standing still or rolling. As far as crosswind are concerned, while I haven't tried going down the alpe h'duez at 90kmh yet, for most descends, I feel I have even better control than the Bora Ultra 50. It's a everyday wheelset that can handle most conditions. and I'm a 90kg rider.
Last edited by Daveaero on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

jekyll man wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:54 pm
Daveaero wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:30 pm
jekyll man wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:13 am
£5.5k and with all that carbon real estate they still cant get the graphics to fit?
LOL...Some of you guys are really silly or haters one :P . But, I get what your saying, even thought that myself at first. But, it's really a non issue when you see them upclose in person. Besides, for those who want their Logos highlighted even more you could get the 85mm. I guess :? But, IMO it accentuates the wheels beautifully on the 63mm way better than previous sets using a much smaller font size and a more cursive script especailly, if you got the all black version. Unless, of course, you just wanted a "black wheel". But, honestly, Lightweights rank pretty high on the "swanky scale" alone so, either way, recognition won't be a problem. But, if want to buy some extra speed and can do it, I can't imagine any other wheel topping these right now. I think it's their best wheel yet.
Lightweight decals have always been naff, these are just as bad, and you're pretty blinkered if you think thats easy to read. Personally i thought it was somewhere in wales ;)
And no i'm not a hater; i've been rolling on LW's since before this (note date):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32134&hilit=pinare ... s+and+more

And still using them (halfway down):
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=83772&start=195
Not bad! But, as far as being "blinkered" and being somewhere in wales I'll take that as a compilment. But, either way, you'll know the brand when you see it. I actually like the decals after intial reservations over the size and color as their also available in red.

Calnago

by Calnago

Well, I can’t wait to try them down a big descent. And while Alpe d’Huez has many switchbacks, the distance between them isn’t that great. It’s the longer more exposed descents that are a challenge with wheels like these. Especially if you’re completely protected by a rock face one moment, then completely exposed to the wind a moment later. Or even big buildings in the city, same experience. At speed in those conditions with wheels like those, have fun.

And those “in the know” don’t need to be told what they are, that’s why it’s important from a marketing perspective to make sure that the guy not so much in the know, actually ends up knowing what they are. Instead of having him walking into a bike shop the next day and saying “Wow, I saw these really cool wheels and I want them”.
Salesguy: “What were they?”
NotInTheKnow: “They’re Liantweiants of course!”
Salesguy: “Never heard of ‘em, must be some Asian knockoff. But I’ve got these awesome Zipps you should check out”.
NotInTheKnow: “Ok, cool... wow, those look really cool too, I’ll take a set, thanks!”
Salesguy: “Excellent! Next please...”

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

1415chris

by 1415chris

Very steep prices, questionable, old technology, ok they are trying to catch up recently... on top of this they decided to put even more people off with these hideous graphics :)
These guys mus be rolling their spliffs with $100 notes.

kgt

by kgt

Yes, this wheelset is so bad that it is the best of the test by a long margin.
I am not a fan of these wheels at all, nor of any other high profile wheelset for road racing. I just cannot see why this hate trend for LWs lately...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

kgt wrote:Yes, this wheelset is so bad that it is the best of the test by a long margin.
I am not a fan of these wheels at all, nor of any other high profile wheelset for road racing. I just cannot see why this hate trend for LWs lately...
So a 6 year old test of a completely different wheel means these ones are fast?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

guyc

by guyc

Jeez lads. Let the man enjoy his new wheels.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

guyc wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:22 pm
Jeez lads. Let the man enjoy his new wheels.
Agree 100%. Was just having a joke with the OP. Wheels are not for me but if we all wanted the same s##t how boring would it be :?:
Enjoy and just ride :beerchug:
BB

Coffee & carbon

Daveaero

by Daveaero

Thanks, and I definately will enjoy the ride for sure. But, yeah there not for everybody for obvious reasons not just the price.

mendiz

by mendiz

No, and a million of times no, I would like to think that the person that buys Lightweight knows about the history of the brand. Impossible I think that person choose another brand because just Reynolds RZR are similar and in looks for me Corima MCC47 s+ is the only competition. Rolf Ares are nice too.
Calnago wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 pm
Well, I can’t wait to try them down a big descent. And while Alpe d’Huez has many switchbacks, the distance between them isn’t that great. It’s the longer more exposed descents that are a challenge with wheels like these. Especially if you’re completely protected by a rock face one moment, then completely exposed to the wind a moment later. Or even big buildings in the city, same experience. At speed in those conditions with wheels like those, have fun.

And those “in the know” don’t need to be told what they are, that’s why it’s important from a marketing perspective to make sure that the guy not so much in the know, actually ends up knowing what they are. Instead of having him walking into a bike shop the next day and saying “Wow, I saw these really cool wheels and I want them”.
Salesguy: “Never heard of ‘em, must be some Asian knockoff. But I’ve got these awesome Zipps you should check out”.
NotInTheKnow: “Ok, cool... wow, those look really cool too, I’ll take a set, thanks!”
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

nismosr

by nismosr

the older graphics looks better but I can only afford the rear =(

ImageConcept by nismosr, on Flickr
- 2018 Colnago V2-R TNMR - Campagnolo SR EPS - Lightweight Gen III - P2Max
- 2017 Colnago Concept CHDB - Campagnolo SR EPS - Bora One 50 - Deda Superzero - Stages
- 2015 Cipollini RB800 - Campagnolo Athena EPS - Bora One 35 - P2Max

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Nice bike. I'm sure everyone is paying attention to the frame and not the wheels :D

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 pm

I mean... would you really be thinking about going up and down mountains on 60mm+ wheels? Lightweight or otherwise? I’ve not done much reading into fenwegs to be honest but I understand they are u shaped so not as sketchy as traditional lightweights design.

Saying that I agree with you entirely on the lettering. Seems like they ran out of good ideas on that and just rushed it out.

by Weenie