Quick brake check (wheel purchase advice)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peted76

by peted76

Hi guys,
I'm mildly sorry to start another what to buy thread. I wanted opinions from people outside of the LB thread if possible before I pull the trigger on a set of wheels, I just need to sanity check myself.

I have about £1000 / $1250 / Euro1100 for a set of wheels.

I ride mostly fast paced club rides in the UK over rolling terrain and weigh 156lbs with the odd race thrown in throughout the year.

I'm looking for a set of aero wheels, and am almost ready to purchase, a set of LightBicycle WR56C02 which are 56 deep, 23mm inner, 30mm outer, I'd run them tubeless with a set of 25mm (Schwables or maybe the new Conti's) on. I've specced them up with DT240's, straight pull CX Ray spokes etc.. estimated weight of 1514g and they come in at about £950 delivered (inc import duty)

I have some concerns about the real world usage of this very wide rim.
1) Clearance with Shimano DA 9100 calipers?
2) Also I borrowed a set of zipp 404's a while back and they totally changed the way the bike handled, fast they were, but it was like steering a boat. I did get used to it, however I've very limited use with deeper rims, is this a 'thing'?
3) Am I just jumping on a bandwagon of wider wheels? Are these just too wide? I could get another pair of 17c wheels ?
There are other far eastern wheelsets available also, but the LB ones appear to be lighter at this sort of depth.

I'm open to other wheels, but am a bit limited by cash, I could probably stretch to a set of 42mm or 65mm giant SLR0's with a good deal from my local shop, or I could look for a lightly used second hand set of something else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deano802

by deano802

After extensive research, I have gone for a set of Zipp 302, new online £999, cant test for a few weeks though.

https://intheknowcycling.com/2019/06/02 ... e-money-2/

Long read along with part one but very informative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peted76

by peted76

@deano802 Thanks for the reply, that's a good read, good luck with the 302's, personally I'm looking for a wider internal rim than 17mm.

It'll be interesting to see what his views are on the 46mm deep versions of the ones I'm looking at...