Is there a better aero wheel than a Campy Ultra 50 out there?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
DVR

by DVR

I have a C60 and a SuperSix Evo HM. One is my endurance long distance bike, the other my climbing bike.

On the SS I have been on C24's for a long time. Alu brake tracks and light. Top wheels.

For the C60 I wanted something light, areo with great braking and not crazy expensive.
I considered the Bora's.

After examining the market and looking at my options I decided to go for the Bontrager XXX 47mm.
They are light, 1400 claimed, 1450 weighted and at 47 mm you simply do not notice any cross wind. Amazing.
And braking in the rain is great too. "Great" does not describe it correct, they are suberb in the rain.

After a few weeks of riding them I decided to swith to XXX 47mm on the SS also. Weight penalty is 40 grams (measured) compared to the C24's.
But I am convinced the 47mm areo advantage will more than make up for that. And since the braking is so fantastic I decided to make the switch to carbon for my climbing bike as well.

Bontrager belongs to Trek but I just forgot about that, I have a Colnago and a Cannondale with the best wheels money can buy. (imo)
Cannondale SuperSix EVO HM eTap
Cannondale SuperSix EVO HM Disc Ultegra
Cannondale SystemSix eTap AXS
Colnago C60 eTap
Pinarello Dogma F8 eTap

by Weenie

3Pio

by 3Pio

brusselsprouts wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:49 am
Reading this thread has me thinking about getting boras for my next wheelset

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
U wont regret.. I have two pair of Bora's Tubs (35 One Diamond 3D and 50 One AC3), and are my every day wheelset (only in winter/rain part of year ride my Shamals..)...

Really satisfied.. Since i climb a lot (steep hills around), AC3 working definetely better in braking vs Diamond 3D, but both are very nice wheelset... (i have on both aproximetaly 7000 km per set, and really no problems at all, no need for maintence, just put tires and that's it...)

In same time very impressive performances.. If i need to pick one pair will be 35.. (It's handling better vs 50, and no crosswinds at all)

Thanos

by Thanos

Picked up a pair of Ultra 35 tubulars a few weeks ago off Amazon at a great price to replace an old pair of ENVE 45's, so far very happy.

Still wondering if I should have got the 50's, but the price of the 35's was too good to turn down.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

Thanos wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:49 pm
Picked up a pair of Ultra 35 tubulars a few weeks ago off Amazon at a great price to replace an old pair of ENVE 45's, so far very happy.

Still wondering if I should have got the 50's, but the price of the 35's was too good to turn down.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
As i have both versions, as i said if i need to pick only one will be definetely 35 version... Neutral handling, no CrossWinds, and very slight difference on flats as well.. Bora 50 look more sexy, on flat parts seem like a bit faster (or just feel like that), but sometimes in really strong crosswinds there is some problems (but less then on Shamal Ultra)... Whenever i ride Bora 35 im impressed how good they are.. Dont think u made mistake, especially if u ride in crosswinds or hills around u...

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Thanks for all the feedback.
Just confirms my suspicion that the Campas are the ones to keep.
The DTSWiss DieCut I rode looked good on paper but just didn't inspire me for some reason.
Now I just need to find a great deal on some new Ultra 50's.....

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I am currently riding Bora Ultra 50 AC3 tubs on my Cervélo S5 and couldn´t be happier. Mo two other wheelsets are Easton EC90 55 Aero and Dura Ace 9000 C75, all tubulars and I´m on Boras 90% of my rides. They are fastest and stiffest, despite having the lowest profile from all(24.2x50mm).
Easton(30x55mm) and C75(24x75mm) are definitely great too, but not as good as Ultra 50s.
The only downside I can see is that I must use 23mm tyre on the front because of narrow rim profile. Otherwise they are perfect, stiff, fast, aero, great ceramic hubs, very stable on crosswinds.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Roadrocket wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:10 am
The only downside I can see is that I must use 23mm tyre on the front because of narrow rim profile. Otherwise they are perfect, stiff, fast, aero, great ceramic hubs, very stable on crosswinds.
I'm using Vittoria CX 25mm tubs front and rear on mine and I would say the rim is wide enough for these to be aero. Certainly, looking down the side of the wheel, the tyre is nice and flat to the rim.

And I fill up the space between rim and tyre with silicone, but that is a different story.....!

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

You may be right, but to adhere 105% rule I´m choosing 23mm(25mm on rear) Vittoria Corsas. I cannot say it is less comfortable than 25mm tyre.

Plus I forgot to mention I really like the sound of AC3 when braking :)
About braking performance overall, they stops like aluminium wheels with rubber pads...admittedly wet braking is different story.

coresare

by coresare

kgt wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:40 pm
It depends on what one wants IMHO.
Bora are great wheels but there are wheels which are better in some aspects: lighter, stiffer, lower inertia etc. LWs or Corima MCC for example.
Without doubt you will not find better hubs than the ones on Bora anywhere in the market. And great hubs can offer a sensational feeling.
Can you elaborate on what a good hub offers? I have Zipp 303 FC clinchers and Corima MCC S+ tubulars. I can't tell a diff between those hubs. Or my super old Shimano Ultegra hubs. They all roll smoothly with no discernable drag.

kgt

by kgt

I already wrote it: "great hubs can offer a sensational feeling".
I had Corima wheels in the past. Very nice hubs but no comparison to Campagnolo in terms of how smooth they feel.

Valy

by Valy

Very interesting thread) something to aspire to! When it comes to ceramic bearings though, do campag wheels have hybrid ceramic or fully ceramic hub bearings?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Hybrid- meaning ceramic balls and steel cones and races, on both the USB and CULT wheels. The CULT has special stainless cones and races that allow for using oil as the lubricant as opposed to grease, which will further decrease bearing friction. On all Campy wheels the freehubs have two sealed bearings, just steel bearings with no ceramic parts. And those sealed bearings are the first to go bad and need replacement. The cone/cup bearings don’t need replacement- just regular maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I currently own Bontrager XXX-6, Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL UST, and two pairs of AC3 Bora Ultra 50's. In the past I've owned Enve 3.4, Zipp 303 FC, Zipp 808 FC, and 404 NSW's. My absolute favorites are Bora Ultras. They are the stiffest, handle cross winds amazingly well, and have the sweetest hubs. The braking is excellent too though the Bontragers are better. The Mavic's do everything well though nothing exceptional.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

Mep

by Mep

Does anyone know the rim, spoke, and hub weight of a Bora One or Ultra 35? Toying with the idea of putting something like Berd spokes on one, which would bring the weight down by roughly 2g per spoke (total of 78g)? That's assuming the spoke weighs roughly the same as Sapim CX Ray. Given the lacing pattern of the Boras, would that work?

by Weenie

audioblazer

by audioblazer

I have both bora 35 & 50 non AC3 . I prefer bora 50 . It holds speed much better. Weight penalty not much issue . However , cross wind effect noticeable