Is there a better aero wheel than a Campy Ultra 50 out there?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scapewalker

by scapewalker

How would they compare to Enve 5.6 wheels. Has anyone both?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

so what about brake pads for these wheels?
the wheelset i got was for shimano, so i got the shimano pads. but running campy
the LBS only had the swiss stop yellow pads, and i've been reading less than stellar reviews
i only ride in dry conditions

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

Just run the campagnolo pads, they is a version that fits campagnolo shoes, and there is a version that fits Shimano brake shoes

Catagory6

by Catagory6

is the front wheel with the "AC3" printed on the rim directional?
the rear wheel has the "AC3" on the drive side
does the front wheel follow suit, because of the braking track?

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Any rumors of the Bora Ultra replacements?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Here is my 2c on the wheels I've tried. Obviously, the numbers and weighting I have assigned are pretty arbitrary and there are probably errors in the way I've assigned the values. You might say "how the *f##k* is a 75 mm rim less aero than a 50 mm rim?" to that I would say my average speeds around centennial park (a 3.7 km circular road in Sydney) were literally a 1km/h or so slower with the deeper rim. Or "you've given these rims a value of 1 for x property, surely there is a difference!?" Well I couldn’t tell the difference, or I couldn’t remember. The other totally arbitrary thing is that I tried these wheels over time and not back to back. The only wheels I have right now out of that lot are the Zipps and the Rovals.

The 2019 Zipp Firecrests with the NSW rim and 77/177 hubs come out on top. I was formally a Zipp hater, but these new wheels are simply very good wheels. Their only main weakness is crap bearings that roll fast, but have a short lifespan. However, they are easily replaced. Boras just don’t feel as fast compared to more modern aero wheels. Though as others have said, they have a lovely supple feel and do everything else perfectly. As such I would recommend Bora WTO - if they maintain the properties of ultras, but are fast, they would be basically perfect.

N.B. when I say stiffness I am mainly concerned with break-rub. Acceleration and climbing captures different dimensions of stiffness.
Attachments
Wheel_Comparison.png
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I have a brand new set of Bora Ultra 50 clinchers.
Build in an S-Works tarmac sl6 frame.
Noticed quite som ebrakerub while brakes are placed let say 'normal'.
I also have a set of Zipp 454 nsw which I did not ride yet.
Which one would be the better wheelset?