Mavic ID360 freehub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mazza

by Mazza

Has anyone had an issue with drag on the Mavic ID360 freehub ? Ive taken it apart and cleaned the ratchet and spring etc but when the wheel spins freely on the stand it turns the cranks, so much so that it throws the chain if I freewheel now.

Jugi

by Jugi

What kind of lubrication do you use? I've found the freehub's seal to produce quite a lot of drag in some cases. Using more than the recommended amount of oil may remedy the issue, especially when dealing with a relatively new hub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mazza

by Mazza

I've tried some light grease. Think I'll try it without the seal to see if that is the issue. Looks like I might need to order the proper Mavic grease or does anyone know an equivalent ?

Jugi

by Jugi

Does Mavic recommend grease for ID360? For the ITS-4 hub they recommended a light (sewing machine type) oil for the freehub pawls. I've used just regular 5W-30 engine oil leftovers from car's oil change with success. Usually I'll put in a little more than recommended. Excess will slowly find itself a way out.

Mazza

by Mazza

Jugi wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:17 pm
Does Mavic recommend grease for ID360? For the ITS-4 hub they recommended a light (sewing machine type) oil for the freehub pawls. I've used just regular 5W-30 engine oil leftovers from car's oil change with success. Usually I'll put in a little more than recommended. Excess will slowly find itself a way out.
Yeah they sell sachets of grease. Its totally different to the pawl set up. Cant say I'm impressed so far after replacing the bearings which didnt last long and needed a special tool.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Can you describe "throws the chain" a bit please.

I noticed on new wheels the springs for the pawls can be too strong. I sometimes adjust them to make them a bit weaker.

Oil instead of grease can help to lower the viscosity around the seals. I think the hub manufacturers like to use as thick stuff as possible to increase time between services but it does make the hub slower.

Mazza

by Mazza

alcatraz wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:23 pm
Can you describe "throws the chain" a bit please.

I noticed on new wheels the springs for the pawls can be too strong. I sometimes adjust them to make them a bit weaker.

Oil instead of grease can help to lower the viscosity around the seals. I think the hub manufacturers like to use as thick stuff as possible to increase time between services but it does make the hub slower.
The wheels aren't new. When I stop pedalling as there is so much drag the cassette continues to rotate and as I've stopped pedalling the chainring is obviously stationary, this means the cassette is pushing the chain, chain gets lots off slack due to the stationary chainring, the chain gets dropped off when I turn the cranks again.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

So you have a sticky fteehub. Take off, clean and grease.

Mazza

by Mazza

alcatraz wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:31 pm
So you have a sticky fteehub. Take off, clean and grease.
I have done.

Mazza

by Mazza

Seems to be sorted after disassembling, re-assembling and trying various lubes.
There was a lot of drag on the seal which was a lot better when I turned it back to front (it was definitely the right way round according to https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/techn ... ronu=23669).

I lubed the seal etc with the wonder spray that is ACF50 and voila zero drag. I’m not sure ACF50 is a suitable lube for the metal to metal ratchet so will probably order some Mavic grease.

botacalor

by botacalor

what was the year when start using id360 system on road wheels? how to identify from outside?¿

TonyOliver83

by TonyOliver83

Yeah I had the same issue. Loads of seal drag that would push the chain forward when freewheeling. So much that one time the upper run caught on the lower, snagged and broke the chain!
Cleaned and lubed the hub and seals with a few different types including mavics own grease but the problem never really resolved.
That and pad rub made me sell them on.

London9921

by London9921

TonyOliver83 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:29 am
Yeah I had the same issue. Loads of seal drag that would push the chain forward when freewheeling. So much that one time the upper run caught on the lower, snagged and broke the chain!
Cleaned and lubed the hub and seals with a few different types including mavics own grease but the problem never really resolved.

Was this on a 2021 wheelset or older?

TonyOliver83

by TonyOliver83

London9921 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:24 am
TonyOliver83 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:29 am

Was this on a 2021 wheelset or older?
They were a couple years old. ID360. Bought second hand with shimano freehub. Swapped it for a new campy one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com