Getting Lightweight Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

survivor

by survivor

Need some advice here. I am eyeing the Lightweight Meilenstein C24E Schwarz ED wheels.

Before this it spiral out of topic, let me just mentioned that I know there are perhaps some better cross-wind performance wheels or equally capable wheels out there in the market for cheaper price, but that's not what I intent to discuss here.

The question is Lightweight is having their Spring Sales now where the typical Lightweight Meilenstein C24E Schwarz ED wheels which MSRP €4699 is now at €3990 (incl. VAT, plus shipping). However, Lightweight online store is only shipping to European countries and I am in the US. I have a close cousin who is residing in Germany right now. I can have the wheels ship to him and he in-turn ship it to US for me. Currency conversion put the wheel at USD$4460, round it up to $4600 to include shipment to US, which is still substantially cheaper than US retailer which priced it somewhere between $6000 - $7000. Anyone has experience doing this or any downside in going with this approach?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

survivor

by survivor

Any Lightweight owners here that can help to share the dimension of the Lightweight wheel packaging box? Trying to get a quote from DHL on the shipping cost from Germany to US. Thanks!

claus

by claus

I did this back in 2011 (wow, long ago): I contacted a shop in Germany (in a town where a relative of mine lived) which shipped them to me (in the US): shipping was fairly cheap: 25 EURO (well, that was 8 years ago). Before the shop shipped the wheels, my relative checked them (just to avoid any surprises). Overall, that worked well except for the long delivery (due to customs).

survivor

by survivor

claus wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:08 am
I did this back in 2011 (wow, long ago): I contacted a shop in Germany (in a town where a relative of mine lived) which shipped them to me (in the US): shipping was fairly cheap: 25 EURO (well, that was 8 years ago). Before the shop shipped the wheels, my relative checked them (just to avoid any surprises). Overall, that worked well except for the long delivery (due to customs).
Thank you for sharing your experience. My cousin was telling me all the bad experiences people have on shipping stuff from Germany to US via sea shipment albeit it is much cheaper. He recommended shipping via DHL. I get a quote from DHL yesterday with the package size 66cm x 66cm x 34cm and 5kg (this is what Lightweight provided me for shipment package of their wheels) and shipping cost a whooping $850. This will be DHL Express that will arrived within 3 days via air. I anticipate around $400 duty tax from US custom which will total the cost for the wheels to be $5710. Although there is still some savings, I am started to wonder whether it make more sense to just buy it from the dealer over here.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

survivor wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:30 pm
claus wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:08 am

Thank you for sharing your experience. My cousin was telling me all the bad experiences people have on shipping stuff from Germany to US via sea shipment albeit it is much cheaper. He recommended shipping via DHL. I get a quote from DHL yesterday with the package size 66cm x 66cm x 34cm and 5kg (this is what Lightweight provided me for shipment package of their wheels)
and shipping cost a whooping $850. This will be DHL Express that will arrived within 3 days via air. I anticipate around $400 duty tax from US custom which will total the cost for the wheels to be $5710. Although there is still some savings, I am started to wonder whether it make more sense to just buy it from the dealer over here.
I would explore extensively 2 other options before going the route of new through a dealer here or having them shipped from your relative. The later plagued with potential issues.

a. Take your time and look on ebay. You'd be surprised how many pop up there and in other forums like slowtwich and such.
b. I would email a couple of etailers based on the US and ask what is the best price they are willing to give you. I am always amazed how people in the US have no negotiation skills or even initiative and end up paying almost all the time for full retail except for advertised "sales". You'd be surprised on what you can get, but you will never know if you don't ask! Nothing to loose here.

KCookie

by KCookie

It might be worth speaking to Glen at Bespoke Imports here in Australia and see if he is willing to send to you. If not in stock he can get the items pretty quick. I think it would save you some money to.

flying

by flying

survivor wrote:
I get a quote from DHL yesterday with the package size 66cm x 66cm x 34cm and 5kg (this is what Lightweight provided me for shipment package of their wheels) and shipping cost a whooping $850. This will be DHL Express that will arrived within 3 days via air. I anticipate around $400 duty tax from US custom
That shipping + customs is at $1250

If it were me at that price I think I would find a cheap flight ($700??) to Germany & go get them myself
Instead of paying the shipping + the duty
Take a nice day or two trip see a shop or two?? :wink:

dgasmd

by dgasmd

flying wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:03 pm
survivor wrote:
I get a quote from DHL yesterday with the package size 66cm x 66cm x 34cm and 5kg (this is what Lightweight provided me for shipment package of their wheels) and shipping cost a whooping $850. This will be DHL Express that will arrived within 3 days via air. I anticipate around $400 duty tax from US custom
That shipping + customs is at $1250

If it were me at that price I think I would find a cheap flight ($700??) to Germany & go get them myself
Instead of paying the shipping + the duty
Take a nice day or two trip see a shop or two?? :wink:
Not to mention you'd save the VAT, which would reduce the total cost by 20%!

jrobart

by jrobart

i purchase mine from Bespoke Cycles in London and had them shipped by them to the US. still considerably cheaper than buying in the US.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

survivor

by survivor

jrobart wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:09 am
i purchase mine from Bespoke Cycles in London and had them shipped by them to the US. still considerably cheaper than buying in the US.
Good tips. I will look into Bespoke Cycles. Thanks!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Do you really need the 24mm wide version.? the older version can be found cheaply. I run 25mm on my older version without issue (clinchers).
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Starbike is my go-to shop for wheels. I added the wheelset to the cart and it came out to $4096 with shipping and the 2.5% WW discount. You may have to pay a 10% duty depending on luck. So the worse-case is $4500 which should be way cheaper than the U.S. based retailers.