Tubolito in tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Common sense tells me that all tube weight concerns apply the same to tubulars, so lightest tubes in these are ~80g latex ones. Hypothetically, can you sew Tubolitos in to save ~40g from each tubular and get, for example, 260g Vlaanderen instead of stock 300g?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

The latex tubes in tubulars are not the same as the ones you buy for clinchers.
I remember weighing Vittoria ones at 35-40 g, while their clincher tubes are close to double that weight (maybe that explains why Vittoria tubulars generally get very nice rolling resistance numbers, but also loose pressure faster than other tubs).
Can't speak for the other brands though...

Louis :)

Marin

by Marin

Plus, Tubolitos have a higher rolling resistance than even butyl tubes, so you'd need a very special use case to use them.

AGB

by AGB

fyi looks like Tubolito have recently brought out a superlight version called the S-Tubo at 23grams BUT can only be used on Disc wheels only ?
Normal Tubolito tubes carry a 0.3W drag versus standard Butyl tubes....
2017 Giant TCR SL1 | 6.80kg sans
2019 Giant Propel SL0 | 7.00kg sans - WinSpace Hyper 50mm wheel upgrade

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

AGB wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:00 am
fyi looks like Tubolito have recently brought out a superlight version called the S-Tubo at 23grams BUT can only be used on Disc wheels only ?
Damn, now I have to order a pair! Another 40g would have been pretty expensive to drop.

C36

by C36

Marin wrote:Plus, Tubolitos have a higher rolling resistance than even butyl tubes, so you'd need a very special use case to use them.
I thought the std version was in pair with butyl and the lighter version in pair with latex?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

C36 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:28 am
Marin wrote:Plus, Tubolitos have a higher rolling resistance than even butyl tubes, so you'd need a very special use case to use them.
I thought the std version was in pair with butyl and the lighter version in pair with latex?
Klaus from Tubolito said the same when I inquired about RR over email:
Klaus wrote:Rolling resistance is significantly improved compared to tubo-road. It is almost as good as latex tubes. You can see the german “triathlon magazine nr 170” as a reference, they measured s-tubo road only 0,5 W higher than latex tubes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com