What to choose? (Mavic/DT Swiss)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

captainolek

by captainolek

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Canyon Ultimate bike that is coming with Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon (non-UST) wheels. I would like to ride 28mm tyres and was also thinking of going tubeless (if with Mavic UST, otherwise I'm also happy to keep tubes). I'm therefore considering the below options. Could you please help me to determine what's the best value for money (the amount in brackets corresponds to the extra money I'd have to spend after selling my wheels):

- Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST (+280€, new)
- DT Swiss PRC 1400 Spline 65 (+600€, second-hand)
- Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon UST (+700€, new)

If going with DT Swiss, would you recommend to go tubeless? If so, which tyres would you choose?

Or would you simply recommend to keep my current non-tubeless-ready wheels?

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The DT swiss will work just as well as the Mavic tubeless. Get whatever floats your boat.

You really need to consider a few things when going tubeless - 1) Valve. Length is the most important. DT swiss includes one 2) tape (usually included). 3) tire. Everything is tubeless now, buy your favorite. The fitment issue thing is all talk. 4) goo. Probably start with Orange or whatever your LBS likes.

Installation has two hassles - 1) Mounting the tire - you need a booster tank to pop the tire into the rim. CO2 cartrige works too. 2) Putting the goo in can be a mess.

Otherwise, it's not really a big deal.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Just out of curiosity; you seem to be undecided if you want low profile box rims or high profile aero, so what is your deciding criteria really? Aero, weight, tubeless...

I have the Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro (non-UST) which I have reslly come to like. After replacing the stock rim tape with Schwalbe high pressure TL rim tape, the weight came down to 1500g, which is fine for me. They are plenty stiff at 77 kg rider weight and (rim)braking is good. 25mm Conti GP4000 fit well with the outer width of the rim. Subject to brand, a 28mm should be fine as well. The wheels have been durable and only needed truing once in about 5000 km's.

The new UST version in wider but also 150g heavier, but I have no first hand experience.

I don't know the DT Spline 65's but I am generally happy with their quality (from their alu range). I know there were some issues with braking on their carbon rims up to their 2017 model year, so I'd look into rhis before buying (search for tests by German Tour magazine).

If you consider a low profile alu wheel, I am happy with my DT PR1600 Dicut 21, which are 18mm internal and TL ready. A 28mm tire will fit easily but very un-aero. Braking is, however, free from any worries with carbon rims, if that's relevant.

Anyway, you have about a million opttions snd should probably decide some criteria for what you want. My very personsl choice would be to keep the current wheels, but I also do not want TL for my road bike (very subjective view and NOT to open that whole debate).