Anything else I should know about latex tubes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rides4beer

by rides4beer

I'm trying out some Michelin latex tubes tonight (with Conti GPTT tires) for the first time, and just want to make sure there's nothing else I should keep in mind.

Installation and inflation when fine, so assuming I don't overheat the rims (which I don't anyway, and the TT course has minimal to zero braking), is there anything else I need to be aware of? I know they'll need to be inflated before each ride, that's not a problem, I always check my pressure anyway. From what I've read, it sounds like if you make it through the installation without popping them, and don't overheat them, they'll be ok. I did the talc thing, made sure no part of the tube was stuck under either side of the tire bead, and added an extra layer of rim tape just to be safe.

These are only going to be used for race days and for practices on the race course, not for regular daily riding, I'll switch back to my butyl/GP4K setup for that. Eventually they'll live full time on a set of TT wheels, but just wanted to experiment for now as I get more into this TT thing.

Valy

by Valy

Not really. Sounds like you have it down. I use latex daily, no issues. Be careful pushing the valves in as you attach the pump head - they can fatigue fail around the I interface of tube / valve.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Valy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:02 pm
Not really. Sounds like you have it down. I use latex daily, no issues. Be careful pushing the valves in as you attach the pump head - they can fatigue fail around the I interface of tube / valve.
Thanks, I put some tape around the valve stem, mostly to keep it from rattling, but it seems to also serve the purpose of not letting it move too much when pumping them up. I don't understand why they're not available in a threaded stem like butyl tubes so you can put a nut on it and keep it from moving?

1415chris

by 1415chris

TT wheels, you mean high profile rims?
Unfortunately Michelins are only known to me latex tubes without removable valve core, which for me is a big no no for high profile rims.
I only use them on low profile aluminium rims. They are, let's call it, the least sophisticated of all latex tubes ;) The heaviest and with non removable core, so it is.
The only threaded valve latex tubes I know, were old purple Vittorias. But eve somehow you manage to get them, stay away. They are just very old with compromised by time latex.
I had a stash of them end while ago tried to use them. They were popping one by one like pierced balloons :)

Valy

by Valy

Yeah, think the pink ones are the newer version for Vittoria. They are nice, but a recent attempt to run 18-23mm Vittoria (drastically thinner than Michelin) in a 21 internal with 28mm Corsa resulted in a lot of air loss - I figure the tube was stretched too thin, so while yes latex is very elastic, for wider rims and bigger tires better to use the slightly thicker ones.

Michelin actually ride nice, but I second the valve issue - I've had failures with valves with the interface to tube and a couple of semi working valves that you have to fitness a little to get to seal or, imagine, to sometimes deflate properly!

The most pro tip ever though, once you get inevitable puncture - glue less patches are your go to! Normal resin and patches won't work based on my experience, whereas Park tools glueless patches allowed me, among many others, to have about 4 repairs to one Michelin tube with little issues. Image

rides4beer

by rides4beer

1415chris wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:57 pm
TT wheels, you mean high profile rims?
Unfortunately Michelins are only known to me latex tubes without removable valve core, which for me is a big no no for high profile rims.
I only use them on low profile aluminium rims. They are, let's call it, the least sophisticated of all latex tubes ;) The heaviest and with non removable core, so it is.
The only threaded valve latex tubes I know, were old purple Vittorias. But eve somehow you manage to get them, stay away. They are just very old with compromised by time latex.
I had a stash of them end while ago tried to use them. They were popping one by one like pierced balloons :)
Yup, eventually I'll get some 80+mm wheels, for right now they're on my 46mm wheels, the 60mm valve stem works great for those. Guess when the time comes for deeper TT wheels, I'll have to get different tubes with removable cores, didn't realize that, just went for ones that would fit my current wheels and these were the only ones I could find with 60mm stems. Is there some reasoning behind them not being threaded? Just seems odd that all the butyl tubes I've used are threaded, but latex aren't.

dricked

by dricked

The new vittora pink tubes have a removable core.

kervelo

by kervelo

Valy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:38 pm
Yeah, think the pink ones are the newer version for Vittoria. They are nice, but a recent attempt to run 18-23mm Vittoria (drastically thinner than Michelin) in a 21 internal with 28mm Corsa resulted in a lot of air loss - I figure the tube was stretched too thin, so while yes latex is very elastic, for wider rims and bigger tires better to use the slightly thicker ones.
Vittoria pink inner tubes are available in two widths: 19-23 and 25-28. I would recommend using the wider version with the modern wide tyres.

Svetty

by Svetty

You can fit valve extenders on the Michelin tubes - the ones that sit on top of the valve....

1415chris

by 1415chris

I am pretty sure we all know that you can use extender on these type of valves. Although doable, it is far from to be as goog as the extender with the valve core placed on its end.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Svetty wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:46 am
You can fit valve extenders on the Michelin tubes - the ones that sit on top of the valve....
I was gonna say that I noticed there are a few threads on the end, I assume to add an extender. :thumbup:

First ride went really well. Picked up .8mph on three loops of the 7 mile TT loop I rode on Saturday (23.6 vs 24.4 avg). Can def feel the difference with the latex tubes and GPTT tires. I even set a new single loop PR, and my previous PR was set on a group ride, felt good to beat it solo. I also understand that since I'm still fairly new to cycling, my bike fitness is still improving, so that's prob part of it too.

One more question, I ran the same pressure I normally run, 90/110, but this loop is pretty smooth, so I'm wondering if they might be a touch faster with some more pressure? I'm 6' 185lbs, so I keep the pressure up to avoid pinch flats, comfort level is fine for me. These are 23mm that measure out to 27mm on my 21c rims.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

rides4beer wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:25 pm
Svetty wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:46 am
I was gonna say that I noticed there are a few threads on the end, I assume to add an extender. :thumbup:

First ride went really well. Picked up .8mph on three loops of the 7 mile TT loop I rode on Saturday (23.6 vs 24.4 avg). Can def feel the difference with the latex tubes and GPTT tires. I even set a new single loop PR, and my previous PR was set on a group ride, felt good to beat it solo. I also understand that since I'm still fairly new to cycling, my bike fitness is still improving, so that's prob part of it too.

One more question, I ran the same pressure I normally run, 90/110, but this loop is pretty smooth, so I'm wondering if they might be a touch faster with some more pressure? I'm 6' 185lbs, so I keep the pressure up to avoid pinch flats, comfort level is fine for me. These are 23mm that measure out to 27mm on my 21c rims.
FWIW, I weigh about the same and have had zero pinch flats over the past three years with latex tubes in 25c Conti GP4000s on 17c rims at 80/85; they measure out to 28mm for me.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

bremerradkurier wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:21 pm
FWIW, I weigh about the same and have had zero pinch flats over the past three years with latex tubes in 25c Conti GP4000s on 17c rims at 80/85; they measure out to 28mm for me.
Good to know, thanks! I think I've been afraid to try lower pressures, because I don't want to find that point that's too low. lol

dricked

by dricked

I’m about the same weight and ride at 80/85 as well with latex tubes using conti 4000 and now 5000. I use a 23f 25r or I’d consider going slightly lower with the front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

dricked wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:16 am
I’m about the same weight and ride at 80/85 as well with latex tubes using conti 4000 and now 5000. I use a 23f 25r or I’d consider going slightly lower with the front.
I tried 85/95 last night with the same setup 23f/25r, on my alloys, not the race setup, felt good tho. Lil more comfortable and the cornering felt a lil more planted. Might be onto something here. :beerchug: