Looking for a wheel set with specific qualities

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

They are for my dad, he rides a rim brake Roubaix.
Qualities:
-moderately light (1500 g, +/- 100 g)
-Approximately 30 mm deep
-Aluminum brake track

Does anyone know wheelsets that meet these requirements?

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

CAAD8FRED wrote:They are for my dad, he rides a rim brake Roubaix.
Qualities:
-Aluminum brake track

Lots of options but my recommendation would be to go handbuilt.

If your after a modern wide rim that will take tubeless tyres then look at Aforce AL33. I’ve had a pair built by DCR wheels and they’ve been excellent in all conditions. I recently rode them in the Tour of Flanders and thought they were brilliant. Designed for 25mm tyres as well.

Other options include kinlin 31 which Malcolm from The Cycle Clinic uses in his BORG31 wheels.
Malcolm also uses the alias Bm0p700f on this forum and I’m sure would give you some great advice.

There are plenty of other options but going down the handbuilt route you’ll pay more initially but always be able to repair and replace spokes etc if required. This is rarely an option with off the shelf wheels.

Good luck with your search.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

handbuilt using HED Belgium Plus rims, Sapim CX Ray spokes and hubs of your choice
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

jch3n

by jch3n

BDop DIY kit (uses the aforementioned Kinlin XR-31 rim): https://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY%20Alloy ... %20III.asp

Build them up yourself or have a shop do it. I train and race on these and haven't had any problems.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

I've built two sets of XR31T, one on disc one on rim.

Bent the disc rear on a pothole, otherwise no issues.

They stay true, both still roll great on cheap hubs. Novatec and BHS bitex.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My Borg31 light wheelset. I use a Lighter hub ( miche swr) with wider flange spacing in this with lighter spokes to have similar lateral stiffness as the heavier and cheaper Borg31 with much Primato hubs.
Borg 31 light used CX rays all round and weighs 1535g

BORG31 with miche Primato hubs CX rays front and CX force rear is 1660g but is built for gorrilas.
I build the same wheelset with Shimano Dura ace 9000 hubs but an 18h front wheel and that's 55g light.

The Al force 33 is the only other rim worth picking, both this and the kinlin are 490 to 500g The DT rr511 is heavier than the above two.
There are not many 500g 30mm deep rims. Most are heavier.

As for hubs I like miche alot. With 24h the new 2:1 hub I have is a good choice. I have yet to build a set with the 31mm deep kinlin though. I have been using the 26mm kinlin for test wheels.

So you have the choice of two or three rims and there are a handful of hubs worth parting cash for. So your choices are not that broad but vary in cost by a wide margin.

StevenH72

by StevenH72

probertsqbe wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:35 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:They are for my dad, he rides a rim brake Roubaix.
Qualities:
-Aluminum brake track

If your after a modern wide rim that will take tubeless tyres then look at Aforce AL33. I’ve had a pair built by DCR wheels and they’ve been excellent in all conditions.
Ditto.

DCR built me a set of AL33's, with CX-Rays on Tune MigMag hubs. faultless thus far. I've logged 5000-6000km on them and think they are fantastic rims. Decent weight, pretty stiff and supposedly aero (not that I can tell the difference on the road).

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

I've built wheels with AL33 Ceramic rims and XR-31 rims. The AL33 is the nicer rim between the two (easier to build/true... seemed stiffer), which makes sense given the price point difference. On the road I would be surprised if anyone could tell the difference.

One feature I do like for the AL33 is the ceramic brake track... In the wet, because the pads wear faster, the rim actually sheds the grit that usually builds up and creates that lovely grinding sound when braking. I've logged close to 1,000 miles on my set and so-far the ceramic brake track looks new. I expect it will wear eventually, but so far the durability has exceeded my expectations.

I would consider two rims for your build... AForce AL33 Ceramic or Boyd Altamont Ceramic. You can't go wrong with either.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ardennes black
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com