DT Swiss ERC 1100 Opinions?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
willmac

by willmac

No change as far as I am aware.

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

I see. Thanks for the confirmation.

After much reading, it appears that arc is more popular then erc.

The differences between erc and arc is mainly inner width and profile. But I guess most people went for arc

by Weenie

TonyM

by TonyM

Helmetbox wrote:I see. Thanks for the confirmation.

After much reading, it appears that arc is more popular then erc.

The differences between erc and arc is mainly inner width and profile. But I guess most people went for arc
I have both. ERC on my rain/ winter bike (25/25). ARC 48mm on my aero-ish bike (23/25).

ARC developed for aero indeed.

Another difference is that the ERC are stronger. Drops up to 10/15cm are in the specs.

There are more aero people here in WW than endurance people. Hence more ARC than ERC. Endurance people spend also less money on wheels I suppose.

willmac

by willmac

If you do a bit of reading, the erc are nearly as fast as Zipp 303’s in a straight line but deal with stall better from higher yaws and handle wider tires better. I have no idea how much aero they give away vs the ARC but it must be miniscule. I built a frame up so could have chosen whatever. Sub 1500g tubeless ready rims, 19mm internal that handle cross winds well ticked all of my boxes. This is coming from Enve 4.5’s and I’m very happy with the ERC. If I remember correctly, ARC top level rims are 65 for the 1100’s and the ERC’s are 47. That’s another key decision to make

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

Already pulled the trigger for erc. The reason I am considering the arc is that the pricing now is very similar. As what TonyM mentioned, the main reason I go for erc is built stronger.

willmac

by willmac

Whatever the reason, I think you made a good choice.

https://www.roadrevolution18.dtswiss.com/endurance/

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

Does anyone know is the wheelset come with rim tape? Based on the description, it appears that it come with 2 roll of rim tape and 2 sets of valve guard/sticker?

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes with rim tape inside the rim, valve stickers, adapters for QR etc.., IS 6 bolts adapters, and lock ring for the rotors (not on the picture as they are on my wheels)

And

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

TonyM wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:41 pm
Yes with rim tape inside the rim, valve stickers, adapters for QR etc.., IS 6 bolts adapters, and lock ring for the rotors (not on the picture as they are on my wheels)

And

Thanks pal, guess my valve sticker is missing. Do you still stick the sticker even using the tubless valve provided?

TonyM

by TonyM

I don’t use as tubeless but with latex tubes.

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

Anyone using gp 5000tl on erc? It's a nightmare installing the tyre. Finally managed to install however the tyre just won't pop. I managed to pump to 100 psi, but not quite sure if the tyre is seated properly.

willmac

by willmac

Helmetbox wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:28 pm
Anyone using gp 5000tl on erc? It's a nightmare installing the tyre. Finally managed to install however the tyre just won't pop. I managed to pump to 100 psi, but not quite sure if the tyre is seated properly.
You got me thinking about my tires now. I’ve got 1,000km on gp5000 tl and they have been fine apart from what I would consider excessive loss of air which made me start to think after reading your post. I swapped them over to corsa’s last night and straight away the bead popped as they went on.

Gp5000’s look like they were seated but never gave any confirmation that the bead set so possibly this is an issue of too big a bead vs rim prolfile lip?

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I ordered these wheels and am going to use the gp5000 to in 28mm. Will report back next week when they get here. A little soapy water on the bead can help them pop on.

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

willmac wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:02 pm
Helmetbox wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:28 pm
You got me thinking about my tires now. I’ve got 1,000km on gp5000 tl and they have been fine apart from what I would consider excessive loss of air which made me start to think after reading your post. I swapped them over to corsa’s last night and straight away the bead popped as they went on.

Gp5000’s look like they were seated but never gave any confirmation that the bead set so possibly this is an issue of too big a bead vs rim prolfile lip?
I supposed that you did not insert sealant hence lose of air? I kept pumping up the trye to max psi for the last 3 days, now my rear wheels seem to be able to hold the air, but not the front, will kept trying and update here. But gp5000tl is so hard to get into the rims. I have to use a pair of pilers to hold the tyres and use a tyre lever to push them in.

by Weenie

willmac

by willmac

I did add sealant. I didn’t say the tires were going flat but they would lose approx 20psi over a day or so and then settle around 60psi. Beads visibly looked seated and I rode over all manner of bumps etc that would have helped effectively seat the rim if it was very nearly there.

Turns out the corsas were also losing air and I redid the factory tape job which has sorted that. Still doesn’t explain why the gp5000 refused to “pop” into the head at any stage when I pumped it up? To be fair though, I know I kind of expect this, but is it actually necsary to hear that sound or could the head seat witgout doing so?