DT Swiss ERC 1100 Opinions?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
scruffmeister

by scruffmeister

Hi All,

I'm considering the DT Swiss ERC 1100 as a do-it-all deep rim wheel that I can run with 25 and 28mm tyres since some of my local roads are pretty rough. I'm not a racer but I like to ride at 30km/h+ average speed for long periods of time (2h+) solo or in groups, hilly and flat. It's got a quality hub (240) and bearings as far as I can see and its aero design seems respectable with help from SwissSide. Initially would probably run clincher to make swapping tyre sizes easy for experimentation, maybe move to tubeless at some point. Anyone running these? Got good/bad things to say about them? Anything else I should consider instead?

Thanks!

by Weenie

sfo423

by sfo423

No experience but it was at top of my list. Can be had for ~$1800. I ended up getting a bro deal on the Token Konax Disc Pro, which I have not mounted yet. BTW, if I recall correctly the 1400 was only different in no ceramic and different spokes I believe. Considerably less expensive.

TonyM

by TonyM

I use the ERC 1100 Dicut 47 DB on my rain/ winter bike together with 25mm Vittoria Open Pave (and sometimes if necessary with Conti 4 Seasons 25mm).
They are really good so far. They seems to be ok in crosswinds also. The DT 240s are very solid. Maintenance is also very easy.

The big advantage of these is that they are quite solid (DT says that they are ok for drops up to 10 cm. Not the case for the "regular" road wheels from DT).
And for roads with some possible potholes that is a big advantage. Especially for me as when the roads are wet you don't always see these potholes and you can be careful like crazy you will eventually hit one or another pothole one day.

On one club ride a friend of mine broke his aluminum rim on a pothole. I was just behind him and rode over that pothole the same way and my wheel was still ok!

scruffmeister

by scruffmeister

sfo423 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:14 am
if I recall correctly the 1400 was only different in no ceramic and different spokes I believe. Considerably less expensive.
Yes, this is a good point - either of the ERC wheelsets are in scope for me really.
TonyM wrote:The big advantage of these is that they are quite solid
This is the big attraction for me along with the fact they have thought about 28mm tyres during design/testing. I don't want a set of wheels to use twice a year, I want a set I can ride in 3-4 seasons...

hkgmatt

by hkgmatt

I have them and use them with 25C tyres (Continental GP4000). They are fine and good looking but I find them a bit "vague", possibly because of the large internal width. Perhaps they are better suited for larger gravel tyres.

willmac

by willmac

I have them on my teammachine SLR01 disc. Fantastic. Hold speed well and really good in cross winds. I’m running gp5000’s tubeless on them in 25c. The combination seems good as the tires come up fairly true to size, maybe 26/27 but definitely not 28. I test rode a bike with the same wheels with 28c corsas on it and didn’t like it one bit so I would say the vagueness is from the tire selection, not the wheel.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It would be interesting to know when DT release a wheelset with the new hub/ ratchet mechanism.
So far only seen in the new 180 hubs.
Anyone with some info?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

willmac

by willmac

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:03 pm
It would be interesting to know when DT release a wheelset with the new hub/ ratchet mechanism.
Anyone with some info?
These are 36 point and 10 degree. For the road how much more do you want? I get it for mtb but that’s a different story

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

willmac wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:04 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:03 pm
Anyone with some info?
These are 36 point and 10 degree. For the road how much more do you want? I get it for mtb but that’s a different story
The new hub has a new ratchet mechanism which offers less drag. Speaking for myself, i'd prefer that.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

willmac wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:38 am
I have them on my teammachine SLR01 disc. Fantastic. Hold speed well and really good in cross winds. I’m running gp5000’s tubeless on them in 25c. The combination seems good as the tires come up fairly true to size, maybe 26/27 but definitely not 28. I test rode a bike with the same wheels with 28c corsas on it and didn’t like it one bit so I would say the vagueness is from the tire selection, not the wheel.
How is the rolling resistance on 28? Based on the site, it appears that 28 roll better on erc for a speed that is 35kph. For speed above 45kph, a 25 tyre will be prefer.

I am considering to get 28 tyre as I don't usually go above 45kph.

What are you thoughts?

willmac

by willmac

It’s actually 35 km/hr which is the cut off for 25 vs 28. TBH, I’m more concerned with how the bike leans into corners, I find the wider tires a bit vague to begin with and the 25’s are a bit more direct. If you aren’t riding faster than that and you aren’t carving corners too hard then you’ll probably love the 28’s. It’s an air chair ride in terms of comfort for sure

TonyM

by TonyM

willmac wrote:It’s actually 35 km/hr which is the cut off for 25 vs 28. TBH, I’m more concerned with how the bike leans into corners, I find the wider tires a bit vague to begin with and the 25’s are a bit more direct. If you aren’t riding faster than that and you aren’t carving corners too hard then you’ll probably love the 28’s. It’s an air chair ride in terms of comfort for sure
My opinion also.
I use 25mm and I am happy with them on the ERC.

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

hmm, guess i will go with 25mm tubeless setup.

willmac

by willmac

Helmetbox wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:59 am
hmm, guess i will go with 25mm tubeless setup.
They’re only tires. Most important investment is the wheels and they’re great. If you want to try some 28’s, get some. Worst thing that happens if you hang them up in your basement after a couple of rides and don’t use them again. Not the end of the world. I’d be far more upset with a bad wheel choice.

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

Hi peeps, I am about to purchase the erc wheels, however the dealer indicated its a 2017 model.

Are there any differences? Between 2017 and 2019? I supposed they are the same?

by Weenie