Hunt wheels? Quality?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

I am looking for some wheels for my gravel bike (to build) and I see that many are using Hunt wheels.

https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collections/gravel-wheels

What do you think about these wheels in terms of quality?
(I am using Campy and DT Swiss wheels for my road bikes)
Last edited by TonyM on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It's the hubs I am unsure about. Some of them are novatec and they have something non novatec but not bitex. The novatec hubs they use can be fine but bearing life can be variable.

A customer dropped in with one of there hookless gravel rims and wanted the porous schwalbe pro one replaced. I had to pull the tyre of the bead lock with mole grips. There is secure and thee is hunt secure. You won't burp them though on the plus side.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

bm0p700f wrote: A customer dropped in with one of there hookless gravel rims and wanted the porous schwalbe pro one replaced. I had to pull the tyre of the bead lock with mole grips. There is secure and thee is hunt secure. You won't burp them though on the plus side.
So how would that have played out if that tire needed removal on the road?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

you are calling uber / lyft
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Marin

by Marin

Hunt quality seems to be decent but they are consistently 100 - 150g heavier than advertised. I even asked and they told me "they're all like this".

Get someone who knows what he's doing to build you a set instead - doesn't even have to cost more.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Agreed, there is a balance between tight fit and too tight. Tubeless tires do sooner or later puncture.

What isn't a tight fit at all are Schwalbe pro ones on shimano c40 disc brake rims. I can get the bead off the rim with one hand. Yes, that combo doesn't seal very well.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

I had Hunt wheels on my radar due to good press (albeit mostly UK domestic reviews). Then I read the carbon wheel review in the German magasine Tour (April 2019) where the Hunt wheels were tested along with 10-12 other wheels in the price range of 1000-1500 Euro.

One can argue against the testing method, but most wheels came our unaffected by the brake test others with some damage to the rim. The Hunt wheels exploded!

I have nothing against Hunt, but that test made me change my mind, which is obviously a purely subjective call.

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for all the feedbacks!
That helped! Thanks!

AJS914

by AJS914

The Hunt 50s look very similar to the Farsports I just bought. I assume the rims are oem'd from China as I don't see anything that says otherwise on their web site. Basalt brake tracks on the rim brake model which is what most chinese rims advertise. So, for twice as much money you get a 60 day return priviledge and a better warranty. Maybe you get a more careful build?

I'm not quite convinced that wheels like this are worth twice as much as direct from China (Farsports, Light Bicycle).

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes, I am currently looking at these for my gravekl bike to build, together with some 38C tires:
https://www.wheelsfar.com/gravel-carbon ... t-dsl.html

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Calnago wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:06 am
bm0p700f wrote: A customer dropped in with one of there hookless gravel rims and wanted the porous schwalbe pro one replaced. I had to pull the tyre of the bead lock with mole grips. There is secure and thee is hunt secure. You won't burp them though on the plus side.
So how would that have played out if that tire needed removal on the road?
Impossible to remove at the side of the road. Your could ride then flat though. The fit is not too tight it's the bead lock bump, it's very pronounced. I tried pushing of with my handsm me and customer did and between us we failed.

petert123

by petert123

I've gone through some wheels over the years, even at 53kg I can send them out of true despite being a careful rider - bought some of their 4-season wheels just over a year ago, been bomb proof for me.

jacobeh

by jacobeh

Regarding the overweight issue of Hunt wheels, then I ordered a pair of Yoeleo gravel wheels and they came in ~40g over weight (outside their own weight tolerances). I did however get a partial refund and a discount on the next set after I complained about it.

It's this pair here with DT Swiss 350 hubs https://www.yoeleoeurope.com/carbon-gra ... -28mm.html

So far they are have been quite good - a bit softer than my old American Classic aluminium wheelset, but then again they had 32 spokes (vs 24 on the Yoeleo) and were pretty much bombproof

zinedrei

by zinedrei

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:05 pm
It's the hubs I am unsure about. Some of them are novatec and they have something non novatec but not bitex. The novatec hubs they use can be fine but bearing life can be variable.
+1 on this. been trying to find more info about the hubs they use but online stuff are inconsistent. cant even seem to find specifics on the Hunt website itself.

hence, decided to get an R45 laced to Light Bicycle rims instead :D

Etienne

by Etienne

TonyM wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:24 pm
I am looking for some wheels for my gravel bike (to build) and I see that many are using Hunt wheels.

https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collections/gravel-wheels

What do you think about these wheels in terms of quality?
I won't go into details but I find Hunt wheels a little bit too expensive for what they are ... if you want price, you can have the same quality for a better price with chinese wheelbuilders and if you want an upgrade, better hubs, spokes, and depending on your location, you can find reputable local wheelbuilders who can do a better job.

In considered Hunt wheels last winter for my gravel bike, as I had no time to build them by myself ... and ended up with custom wheels for just a few more £ :idea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com