Which hub makes stiffer Wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pinguin

by Pinguin

I am between Rar12 and Dt Swiss 350 hubs for Rimbrake
Lacing should be 1:1 and 24 Spokes on Rear(Cx ray Nds,Cx Sprint on Ds)
Rim is a 45mm CC
I know the 350 would be the better hub for Longlife,,but what i have read they should have a bad geometrie,so for stiffnes what is better choice?
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

In order of importance...

Use a stiff rim, 28 spokes if needed, generous flange diameters, 2x or 3x on both sides, and a straightpull hub.

I think the big brand manufacturers go a bit crazy on the lack of spokes because they usually have stiff rims and access to proprietary spoke designs.

The number of spokes is more important than what kind. The kind also helps but it seems thin spokes are out of fashion today if you look at big brands. Maybe it's because many spokes are seen as less aerodynamic.

There are flexy big brand wheels.

Remember that custom wheels offer something big brands can't and it's flexibility (not literally :lol:). You can use as many spokes as you need.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The bitex hub has better bracing angles. Therefore laterally stiffer. The DT Swiss hub give slightly better radial stiffness bit not by much. End off.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

My rear wheel is 46mm, 24 spoke, DT350, CX Ray. I'm 84kg and put out decent power and haven't had any issues with it.

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:47 am
The bitex hub has better bracing angles. Therefore laterally stiffer. The DT Swiss hub give slightly better radial stiffness bit not by much. End off.
The Bitex hubs build up a stiffer wheel, but I have yet to ride one that didn't clunk under heavy load. Every Bitex hub I've used felt like the freehub was going to explode eventually.