Looking for a stiffer wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

MiddMan wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:42 pm
I'm still dumbfounded at the lack of any substantive reviews of Corimas in general, and especially a complete dearth of info on the MCC. Cyclespeed did a great review a few years back, and so far he's the only one. I've tried searching en francais aussi, but I think my location defaults to mostly English websites, none of which have thorough reviews.
I agree. I had the MCC 47 S+ and thought they were fantastic. They had all the great attributes of the LW while being slightly wider so they paired better with 25mm tires, best braking I've had on carbon rims (on par with CCU when using Campy red pads) and slightly less affected by sidewind. I sold the 47s since they didn't go well with the Max but I'd get the Corimas over the Lightweights.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

you are sure 470gr for the corima tubular 47mm rim of the mcc ?

my 56mm disc clincher light bicycle 23mm inside 30mm external weight 460 gr each rim

i know they have a special construction but still it's heavy if only for the rim

RyanH

by RyanH

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:06 pm
Corimas look cool, but those rims are 470 grams (47mm deep/ 26mm wide externally).
I also was told by "someone", Corima had the worst brake quality of all wheels he had tested.
Whoever that someone is, is wrong. I haven't ridden the newest ones but assuming they're similar to the previous gen, they are up there with the best for braking (when using Campy red pads). With cork pads, the braking feel and modulation is phenomenal, but you lack the raw power. So, I'd guess like 70% braking power but the feel and modulation of alloy wheels with the cork pads.

@romanmoser
That weight is for the clinchers, it's 390g for the 47x26 tubular rims.

Multebear

by Multebear

wheelsONfire wrote:
Multebear wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:24 pm

Any reason you want stiffer wheels? Do you have brakerub? Or other problems?
No, i have zero issues actually. I am curious.
If you don't have any problems with lack of stiffness, if you don't mind me asking, what is it you want to achieve by stiffer wheels?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I'm mostly curious on how i perceive speed, handling and ride feel.
To be honest, i don't feel or notice a lack or (true) need at the moment.
I don't think people do when they change stuff either.
It may be frame, wheels or components.
We adapt to most things as long as fit is OK.

I would lie all the way to a safe spot i hell if i told you, i'm not interested in trying Lightweight, forthcoming CU UST, Corima to name the more esoteric wheels.
What do i expected to achieve going with 1-3 over my own wheels...?
Achieve, i could never answer that question (atleast not now)!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kgt

by kgt

RyanH wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:54 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Corimas look cool, but those rims are 470 grams (47mm deep/ 26mm wide externally).
I also was told by "someone", Corima had the worst brake quality of all wheels he had tested.
Whoever that someone is, is wrong.
+1
IME Corima wheels with Corima pads = great braking. Only that cork pads are not so good in the wet. I think that new Corima pads are not just cork though. They are updated.

C36

by C36

Multebear wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
Multebear wrote:

If you don't have any problems with lack of stiffness, if you don't mind me asking, what is it you want to achieve by stiffer wheels?
As mentioned multiple times including few messages above, brake rub has no direct correlation with stiffness at the road contact point (could also add the frame can have more impact than the wheel itself).
Now stiffer wheel will give you crispier accelerations, but more importantly, max power peaks and performance improvement when you are out of the saddle. The gain in handling is a bit more subject to discussion and personal feeling.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

C36 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:06 am
Multebear wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
Multebear wrote:

As mentioned multiple times including few messages above, brake rub has no direct correlation with stiffness at the road contact point (could also add the frame can have more impact than the wheel itself).

Why are you quoting my post to make your point?

C36

by C36

Multebear wrote: Why are you quoting my post to make your point?
Should have quoted the complete message where you already asked
Multebear wrote: Any reason you want stiffer wheels? Do you have brakerub? Or other problems?
Then you ask what he expect from stiffer wheels... I answer what each could expect from stiffer wheels

Multebear

by Multebear

C36 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:35 pm
Multebear wrote: Why are you quoting my post to make your point?
Should have quoted the complete message where you already asked
Multebear wrote: Any reason you want stiffer wheels? Do you have brakerub? Or other problems?
Then you ask what he expect from stiffer wheels... I answer what each could expect from stiffer wheels

It was just a question for my part, I don't draw any conclusion from that.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Spoke life tends to improve with stiffer wheels. There are other factors too to spoke and nipple life bit how stiff a wheel is or the length changes experienced under load are critical to the fatigue rate.

Stiffer wheels do feel "lighter" without being lighter. Stiffer wheels also make lower spoke counts viable and that means aero wheels can have long spoke life.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The only wheelset i have been using that's significantly different is CCU. They feel ultra snappy, prone to harsh and even boost quick steering to a point it's too fast.
I would like an option to this, with a more planted feel.

Looking at rims, seems almost all 45mm rims are from 430 g and up.
Zipp 303 NSW, 475 g for clincher/ tubeless, under 400 g for tubular.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Deeper rims do weigh more. Shock horror.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

@RyanH
Thanks for your input, that's great to hear that you loved them. The other reason I'm hesitating on the Corima MCC is that I'm not sure of the weight limit. I'm 6'4 and about 93kg. Lightweights have a 100kg limit: bike + rider, so I'd be right at the limit there. If I recall correctly, Cyclespeed said in his video review that he believes the Corima's would suit a bigger rider due to their stiffness. Even still, let's say hypothetically Corimas are also 100kg limit, I wouldn't want to push the limit of a very expensive wheelset 'just because', not to mention throwing safety or caution to the wind! I'm not as worried about the aero qualities of the spokes (or lack thereof), but weight limit is.

Alumen

by Alumen

From a total different magnitude in terms of budget, I just went to Fulcrum Racing 4 training wheels. They are heavy with 1835 gram on my scale (Shimano body), but so am I with 90-93kg (season vs off season).

The Racing 4's have 21 spokes on the rear and 16 spokes on the front. Simply said, they are stiff ! Without compromising on comfort levels though. Yesterday evening we did a short sprint on a hill and these wheels really stayed true without loosing energy on any wheel or rim flex. They just went straight ahead and kept their line.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com