Campagnolo Zonda disc brake wheelset - yay or nay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Was gonna grab a cheap chinese carbon wheelset but spotted these and like the style and price. Want something bombproof for heavy mileage but has to feel nice too. Was close to pulling trigger as I’m going on a trip for Easter and want wheels before then maybe. Any thoughts on these or alternatives at same price? They’re on sale around £370 in the UK.

Going on a Topstone, so not for a posh race bike or anything but I'm using the bike for training on and spending stacks of time on it. Current wheel set weighs around 3KG apparently.

Also eyeing up Fulcrum's 4 and 5 wheelsets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Shrike wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:08 pm
Was gonna grab a cheap chinese carbon wheelset but spotted these and like the style and price. Want something bombproof for heavy mileage but has to feel nice too. Was close to pulling trigger as I’m going on a trip for Easter and want wheels before then maybe. Any thoughts on these or alternatives at same price? They’re on sale around £370 in the UK.

Going on a Topstone, so not for a posh race bike or anything but I'm using the bike for training on and spending stacks of time on it. Current wheel set weighs around 3KG apparently.

Also eyeing up Fulcrum's 4 and 5 wheelsets.
I am biased in that I look after Campagnolo Service, Warranty and Tech-Ed in the UK but I'd simply ask, if you are looking for something bombproof, why would you go for a Chinese no-name against a product (not necessarily Campagnolo or Fulcrum) from a manuafcturer that is a well-known quantity, offering a full warranty and spares back up service?

Fulcrum R3 is the direct equivalent to Zonda (same rim extrusion, differently milled and drilled, same adjustable cup-and-cone hub bearing system), R4 uses a different rim extrusion and a cartridge bearing system, so it's closer to the Campagnolo Scirocco DB in terms of specification.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

sychen

by sychen

Only have good things to say about zonda rim brake wheels.

No issues with bearings, spokes, rim ..

Solid and never had issues.. Just rolls and rolls.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Zondas are the close-to-ultimate training wheels. If DB version is anywhere close to the rim version, you can't get wrong on these.

Fulcrums probably are the same wheel, you just need to find out exactly which model. There are price differences at times, which you might explore to your advantage.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

robertbb

by robertbb

I sold my Shamal C17's, preferring my Zonda C17's. Do most of my miles on these. Brilliant wheelset at a steal of a price for what they are.

Whatever you do, don't buy a wheelset with thick alloy spokes... not even Shamals!

AJS914

by AJS914

It was $25 to replace one spoke on my Eurus wheels! I'd rather have Zondas.

That said, I also have a set of Farsports wheels. They are relatively inexpensive, have DT Swiss hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. All the parts are standard and spares are readily available.

Multebear

by Multebear

Is there any reason to choose alloy rims on a DB bike unless you're on a tight budget?

That said, campa hubs are some of the best. But Farsport wheels with DT hubs will do the job just as fine. And they are carbon rims.

Since there's is no wear of the rim on DB, I don't see any reason to choose alloy rims anymore.

Shrike

by Shrike

It’s really just price. I’m trying to lighten a little two Topstones but they’re used for training in all weather and commuting, touring etc. Hard to find the balance between a nice bike to ride at an acceptable price to leave unattended once in a while.

Multebear

by Multebear

If Farsports with DT hubs are in you're pricerange, I'd definitely go there. But if performance is of no concern, just pick the cheapest ones out there IMO. Zondas are pricewise somewhere in between. Not really top performance, and not really budget.

Shrike

by Shrike

Cheers that convinced me. Saw them for £330 today so couldn’t say no. Got some ultegra rotors to go with them..

PrimO

by PrimO

Where did you see them at £330???

I was in the same position as you last year, in the end up I went with Fulcrum Racing 5DB's. I've approx 2k kms on them now and theyve been 100%. They roll really well, are lighter than zondas (mine weighed in 1642g) Zondas are spec's at 1675g, the freewheel is near silent (which i like) and i know this is relative, they were 450g lighter than the factory spec wheels that came on my bike (Felt VR30) and made a very noticeable difference in accelerating and more so on climbs.

wintershade

by wintershade

robertbb wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:57 pm
I sold my Shamal C17's, preferring my Zonda C17's. Do most of my miles on these. Brilliant wheelset at a steal of a price for what they are.

Whatever you do, don't buy a wheelset with thick alloy spokes... not even Shamals!
Interesting, why did you sell the Shamals for the Zondas? Were you getting blown around in the wind due to thick Shamal spokes?

robertbb

by robertbb

wintershade wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 pm
robertbb wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Interesting, why did you sell the Shamals for the Zondas? Were you getting blown around in the wind due to thick Shamal spokes?
Yes. And I also noticed they kind of "maxed out" speed wise - again because of spoke drag. The Zonda's were only 70 grams heavier... and most of that is at the alloy hub. I don't have empirical data to prove it, but I believe the Zonda's are faster wheels as well as handling better.

Shrike

by Shrike

PrimO wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:46 am

I was in the same position as you last year, in the end up I went with Fulcrum Racing 5DB's. I've approx 2k kms on them now and theyve been 100%. They roll really well, are lighter than zondas (mine weighed in 1642g) Zondas are spec's at 1675g, the freewheel is near silent (which i like) and i know this is relative, they were 450g lighter than the factory spec wheels that came on my bike (Felt VR30) and made a very noticeable difference in accelerating and more so on climbs.

Tweeks Cycles to get them at 330. Didn't get mine as I left to go on holiday today so asked them to hold the order until next week. They said they'll come Monday now so will test them then. I have a set of Fulcrum 5 db's here though which haven't been ridden on the missus' bike. I'll give those a spin and compare to the Zondas shortly. Pretty sure the Fulcrum 5's will roll nicer than the bricks that came on our Topstones :lol:

PrimO

by PrimO

Shrike wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:58 am
PrimO wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:46 am

Tweeks Cycles to get them at 330. Didn't get mine as I left to go on holiday today so asked them to hold the order until next week. They said they'll come Monday now so will test them then. I have a set of Fulcrum 5 db's here though which haven't been ridden on the missus' bike. I'll give those a spin and compare to the Zondas shortly. Pretty sure the Fulcrum 5's will roll nicer than the bricks that came on our Topstones :lol:
If theyre the 5's with the three white 'Fulcrum' decals around the wheel, theyre the older wheels and nearly 120g heavier (1642g v 1760g -weighed by me) than the Racing 5's which have dark graphics and a red '5' on the wheel rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com