Tubular in my head

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

The safety part is hard to argue. I dont want to imagine a clincher going on a fast descent. That will keep them in at least some stages of the peleton for a while yet.

Except that i will likely get corsa speeds... because if i go in, it will be all in. Marginal masturbation to the max!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:52 pm
Lighter. Smoother. Better handling. Less likely to puncture. Unlikely to explode during a puncture event. Unlikely to have the tires run off after a puncture.

Those using clinchers for aero gains are the ones chasing marginal gains. All the above attributes of tubulars make sense to me as a recreational cyclist. And because I'm a hobbyist, I have the time to mess with it.

Damn I told myself not to pitch in but can't help it. This thread should be killed for being endlessly repetitive.
^^ 100% agreed.

RocketRacing, bad tubular choice IMO, unless you use your wheels only for TT's. You'll end up throwing lots of money down the bin, and sooner become one of the "ex tubular" users...

Louis :)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

For a racing wheelset it wouldn't be crazy to go corsa speed or speed on the front and corsa on the rear.

If you're light enough and the roads are clean enough, you might even find speeds to be difficult to puncture or wear out. :lol:

What about repairing roadside flats without replacing the tire. Is there a good method? I saw a guy on youtube riding tubulars until they were absolute "trash" because he got so good at repairing flats. He used superglue, super thin patches and sealant. Sealant was only added in small amounts after a puncture.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Since Vittoria Pitstop failed on me twice years ago, I learnt one thing, the spare tub was my friend.
Frankly I didn't have that many situations when I had to use one.
This will be my first season after a quite number of years I will use sealant, Tufo extreme. I mean I hope I wouldn't have to use it, just keep it in jersey pocket, just in case, please..
But surely I'd be struggling to ditch the spare for good :)

3Pio

by 3Pio

I had similar questions just a 2 -3 years ago... And decided to switch to tubs.. First few months frustration :), but after i learned the proper glueing im 90% on tubulars, and just winter months on Clinchers (Conti tires with latex tubes).

In meawnhile last season i bought another pair of wheelset tubs (i have Bora 35 One Diamond 3D Tubulars and Bora 50 One AC3 tubular)

On Bora set i have Corsa G+ tires, and on last pair of tires i had 3500 km on rear one, and still riding with front one which have about 5500 km ... On Bora 50 have Conti Sprinter (i'll replace front with Competition just to try), and had on rear 5500 km and still riding front with about 5800 km on it...

While im riding i bring Tufo Extreme Sealant which works 90% of time, and spare Tufo Tub (about 120 gm and fold like regular inner tube). I used the spare only once for 85 km to bring me home...The fact that i have spare whole tire it make even more safe to get home riding in the case of tire cut...

Why tubs? Like the process of glueing, like how it ride, like that i can use rim brakes on carbon wheels without worrying that i'll melt something, better stability on downhills, better feel.... And after 2 years of using 90% of riding time, i dont find them much more expensive per year for tires vs clinchers..

As soon u switch, u'll enjoy sooner..Dont have interest at all to try tubeless on road (even i ride tubeless long time ago on MTB)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

One earlier comment about tubeless turning. Thats down to the rim and the lack of bead lock on some hubeless rims and that is exacerbated by the loose fit of some tubeless tyres. A proper tubeless setup can't burp.

Tubs are nice but a tub habbit is an expensive one. You end up with multiple tubs and many wheels.

I like my tubular wheels and the tyres I have. They feel right but carrying a spare tub is a pain. I simply don't trust being able to fix with sealant. I have tried that been let down literally. Also for wet weather use I find them expensive as even gatorskin sprinters puncture. And contary to an earlier comments that tubs do just go flat. Had that several times.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I still seem to have lots of tires and wheels even without going tubular.... haha

And special thanks to alcatraz for enabling, as i am only 130lbs, so i am used to getting away with more than my colleagues can.

“Wider is better” - yeah if you are a fatty.

eeney

by eeney

I'm in the situation of considering going from Alu Clinchers to Carbon race wheels.

One consideration a friend presented was that with carbon rim brake wheels, if you use tubs then the rim is just required for braking, whereas with clincher/tubeless it has the braking (potential heat) and pressure of holding the tyre.... therefore tubs reduce the risk of carbon wheel issues due to rim brake heat build-up.