How much time to give the glue?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Tomorrow the Boras are finally arriving after a long wait. How much time should I give the glue without pushing my luck? Would glueing on Saturday, riding on Sunday be ok?

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Yep. Should be fine. Wouldn’t glue them at 11pm and ride at 1am with fast and twisty technical descends. I’ve ridden with plenty of confidence in flat roads within an hr of gluing. Not an advice. Just my personal experience.

by Weenie

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Thanks. I am just anxious to try them, plus I can only do bigger rides on the weekends, so it would be bad to lose this one.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Saw your post in “on the road today” but this is probably a better place to respond to it...
PokojniToza wrote:First ride on tubs today. I forgot to let out some air before going out, but even on 10 bars they were rather nice and comfy (Conti Competition 25 in the back and Specialized Turbo All Round 24 in the front).
10 bars? Uh, I think what we have here is a case of “everyone says how great tubulars ride, and now that I’ve got some, I’m jumping on that bandwagon too, as soon as I can get my teeth positioned back to where they belong”.
10 bars is around 145psi! I don’t know what you weigh, but I am over 200lbs and wouldn’t run a 25mm Conti Comp at over 100psi rear (Less than 7bar) and 90psi front. I have them on my winter bike and that pressure might even be slightly on the high side for those tires and my weight and cold wet weather. But 145psi has got to feel like riding on concrete hoops. Do yourself a favor and drop 40psi off the top and go for a few more rides to fine tune things.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Yeah, I know. I just followed the advice to put a lot of pressure after gluing them, and forgot to let some air out before going out for a ride. However, when I realized it, it was a bit strange, because the ride was not harsh at all (the fact that most of the ride is on perfect tarmac - higway that still has not been commissioned and is a paradise for training :) definitely planning to drop the pressure to 7.5 or 8 bar.
BTW, I weigh about 75 kg.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’d start with 7bar max for both wheels and even that would be in the high side for your weight. Only reason I’d say keep the front the same in this case is because it’s a smaller, and more supple, tire. If they were the same size/tire my rule of thumb is to run the front about 10psi lower than the rear.
If the ride at 145psi didn’t feel harsh to you, then awesome, and I would love to ride on those roads .
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Thanks for the kind advice. I am used to riding at 7.5 to 8 on clinchers, but have no clue how would that translate on the tubs. Anyway, since I have managed to keep all my fillings today, it may be a good starting point. Then I may reduce the pressure some more, depending.

by Weenie

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Above all however, just experiment with your bike, your tires and your weight till you find the right pressure. What I suggested is just what I think might be a good starting point for those tires and your weight. You may very well want to go a bit higher if your roads are all really that good. No reason to get all sluggish with low pressures if your roads don’t warrant it.