Wheels for high-end winter bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wintershade

by wintershade

I’m a bit torn on wheelset choice for my next winter/rain bike. It’s a custom steel Stelbel Rodano Disc, Campy Record 12 with room for 30c rubber with full fenders. I’m planning to run Schwalbe G-One Speeds, my first time running tubeless. If Indont like them I’ll switch to trusty 28mm Conti 4 Season.

Here are the options I’m considering
1) Zonda Disc
2) Shamal Ultra Disc Dark Label — I like the looks better, though the bladed spokes make for a firm ride and catch wind
3) Bora WTO 45 Disc — Brand new, C19 might pair better with 28-30 tires, lighter, even better aesthetic match, but is this overkill for a full fender rain bike??
4) Something custom and bomb proof, ideas?

Budget/price is NOT important.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IchDien

by IchDien

I think the WTO 45's would be a smart investment and potentially something that you could use on other bikes too / better resale.

There was someone saying that 28mm tires work very well with them too.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

DT Swiss 32mm alloy wheels are cheap, look nice, and bomb proof. Probably 100-200g heavier than the Zondas though - half the price though.

TonyM

by TonyM

I use DT Swiss ERC 1100 Dicut 47 DB for my rain/winter bike.
Light, fast and also stronger than the ARC when hitting potholes!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

First things first. The stiffness of Shamal Ultra's are nearly irrelevant to the quality of the ride. The frame and tires will collectively contribute vastly more to ride quality. IOW if your worried about comfort, just focus on frame and tires. And they are not a problem in the wind unless you are a featherweight.

All those choices would work and if you are happy to spend some money than it's a no brainer - Campy WTO. If on the other hand you don't want to open the wallet quite so wide, I would urge a serious look at LightBicycle. You can get their wheels withough logos in any finish you want. I just received a set for my "high end" winter bike and they were flawless. Service was also impeccable. The design of the rim bed made tubeless set-up every bit as good as Mavic. The wider dimensions are also going to take you further into the future. Lighter then the WTO I imagine as well. Do not fear the unknown, or succumb to the idea that going the "China" route is somehow slumming it from an equipment perspective. - the product is fantastic.

They have many options but basically something like this: https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V-sha ... tible.html
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AJS914

by AJS914

Or if you don't want to go direct to China you could get a nice custom wheelset from a shop like November Cycles. Their 46mm / 28.5mm wide rim will come in at half the cost of Campy.

https://novemberbicycles.com/collection ... isc-wheels

dim

by dim

HED Belgium Plus rims, Sapim CX Ray spokes with Chris King R45D hubs
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

kervelo

by kervelo

dim wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:08 am
+1

Why would anyone need a winter bike in California? 🤔

dim

by dim

kervelo wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 pm
dim wrote:
+1

here's more specs:

https://chrisking.com/products/hed-belg ... r45d-28-28

I have the HED Belgium Plus, Chris King R45 (ceramic bearing upgrade) and Sapim Cx Ray spokes .... weighs just over 1600 grams for the wheelset, is quality, looks good and is tubeless ready

I highly recomend these
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

kervelo wrote:
dim wrote:
+1

Why would anyone need a winter bike in California? Image
CA got a lot of rain this past winter. Not sure if he’s in North or South Cal. But North Cal. generally get more rain than So. Cal. I live in Colorado now but I lived in CA for over 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wintershade

by wintershade

kervelo wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 pm
dim wrote:
+1

In NorCal (where I am) winter is our “rainy season.” This winter it rained nearly ever day I wanted to ride! I’m also probably moving to Boston-area in next 9-18 months.

I originally wanted to go with Ardennes + King hubs to match my king headset, but apparently King does not make a Campy 12 disc hub — something about the cassette position puts the RD into the spokes.

I’m not ready to put Chinese rims on this bike. Inrogibally wanted everything to be Italian, but there aren’t any high-end Italian headsets.

But bottom line is, no downside to the WTOs nor Shamals? Aside from cost, any reason to go with Shamals vs the WTOs given the bikes purpose?

Multebear

by Multebear

You need to consider each component of the wheels separately.

Do you want carbon or alloy rim?

What requirements do you have for hubs?

Is weight an option as well?

Rims: On a disc bike you don't wear the rim. This is why you might want to choose the rim you want above all others. Consider depth, width and weight.

Hubs: If it's for winther/rain, you need durable hubs. I've tried all the top hubs, and the best ones are DT. CK's are very good for racing. But they aren't sealed too well. So they don't do well in too much rain. DT's are sealed very well. Spares are very easy to source. All mechanichs know DT hubs, so it's easy to get help when needed. They are the perfect combo between performance, durability, pricetag, weight and serviceability.

Campa hubs are very good as well. But Campa don't offer much for custom wheelbuilding, and the readymade wheels are often either very race oriented (=not fond of foul weather), or alloy mid/low end wheels.

I'd have some custom wheels made with
- DT hubs,
- Enve or Zipp rims or whatever rims you like
- DT Aerolite or Sapim cx-ray spokes.

jbucky1

by jbucky1

dim wrote:
I like what you said here +1, but also might want to note that CK don't make a 12mm 142 campag set up. If that is the frame.

dim

by dim

jbucky1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:30 pm
dim wrote:
I like what you said here +1, but also might want to note that CK don't make a 12mm 142 campag set up. If that is the frame.
https://chrisking.com/products/part-hub ... xle-142x12
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

Multebear wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Hubs: If it's for winther/rain, you need durable hubs. I've tried all the top hubs, and the best ones are DT. CK's are very good for racing. But they aren't sealed too well. So they don't do well in too much rain.
Dunno .... Chris King Hubs need to be serviced every 6 months and it has to be done by someone who knows what they are doing, and who has the proper tools to do so ... when done properly and regulary, there is no issue with rain/mositure

I'm fortunate that the person who built my wheels has been on a Chris King seminar and has the knowledge and know how and is regarded as one of the best wheel builders in the UK .... he suggested the Chris King Hubs (money was no object, and I wanted the best .... I looked at others such as Royce, DT Swiss 180, White and Phil Wood amongst others)

I've also read (don't know how true it is?), that Chris King will not sell you the proper tools to service the hubs unless you have been on their course/seminar and know how to do the service (you need the proper Chris King tools)

and what I've read is that some guys have the tools but have never been trained properly and F it up

the downside is that I have to spend £80 a year for 2 services, but I don't mind, as I do lots of miles. When the rims are shot, the Chris King hubs get transferred to the new rims which I choose... properly serviced, they will last a very long time
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand