Fulcram racing 3

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

I have a set of Fullcram Racing 3 wheels that were on my bike when I purchased it. They were in great condition but after about 12 months of riding I had a spoke let go. Cost me $70 to have it fixed as explained it's hard to do because the rim is closed so it's time consuming to get spokes in and out. A couple of months go by and another one breaks, had it fixed for same price and away we went. Same time frame third one breaks and I decide to get new wheels(Campagnolo Scirocco). Have since had it fixed again and use it as my trainer wheel but I would like to put them on my new bike when it comes but am fearful of having it go again. I am a rider on the heavier side and also 6ft6in tall. Was it bad luck or something wrong with the wheel perhaps. Couldn't sell them to any one because I would feel bad if they caused an accident or worse

They work well on the trainer so I will still use them but they looked good out on the road as well.

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts or ideas

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

I have been quite happy with my Racing 3's. I have had the old version (white hubs, C15 rim), which saw me through two years of rididng, including 2 winters of cross (including a handful of races) as well as winter road duty without any issues. I now have the new version (black hubs, C17 rim) and these seem to be equally strong, albeit only used during the winter @ about 1500 km's. I am 77 kg, so below the weight limit of the wheels. I don't know what "on the heavier side" means, but Fulcrum do recommend regular checks if you are above 82 kgs.

My personal experience leads me to think you have either been really unlucky - or the repair was never done properly in the first place leading to excess tension on the spokes. But 3 x 70 USD repair on a used wheels set brings you close to the price of a new set, so perhaps replacement is the sensible choice :noidea:

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

happyon2wheels wrote:I have been quite happy with my Racing 3's. I have had the old version (white hubs, C15 rim), which saw me through two years of rididng, including 2 winters of cross (including a handful of races) as well as winter road duty without any issues. I now have the new version (black hubs, C17 rim) and these seem to be equally strong, albeit only used during the winter @ about 1500 km's. I am 77 kg, so below the weight limit of the wheels. I don't know what "on the heavier side" means, but Fulcrum do recommend regular checks if you are above 82 kgs.

My personal experience leads me to think you have either been really unlucky - or the repair was never done properly in the first place leading to excess tension on the spokes. But 3 x 70 USD repair on a used wheels set brings you close to the price of a new set, so perhaps replacement is the sensible choice :noidea:
Thanks for that. Probably best to keep them as a trainer wheel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk