Super light alloy clincher rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

yes if I give advise or build something that fails and that person hurts themsleves then I will need that insurance policy I have. Actually thats unlikely what more likely is the wheel simply feels rubbish. I have a few sets like that where I pushed the envelope too far all in the name of reducing weights. I dont ride those wheels much because they are rubbish. It not about me knowing it all. Its more about not falling into the trap of just telling people what they want to hear. Theres enough of that. someone has to say what the OP does not want to hear. I dont mind that being me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Fair enough.

POINT was.. the guy has his eyes open. Unlike a plastic rim... it won't fail quickly.. just a spoke will pop and then the wobbles. Might be.. might not be..hard to keep true.

Methinks w heavier spokes sacrificing a few grams.. somewhat wider tubeless.. good build.. at 130 lbs he'd have FUN.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Carbon rims dont fail easily. Still light mean carbon tubular to have a wheel that really performs.

If a spoke goes the wheel will wobble. Of it doesn't it was badly built or you have 40 spokes.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Inquiring minds want to know, did the 16 spoke front wheel ride fine or fold like a taco?! :up:

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Again.. POINT is.. when carbon rims fail it's catastrophic.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Which 16 spoke front wheel?

Really winter rider. I have had wheels backs that have gone into barriers and the rim is damaged but by no means a catastrophic failure.

When a carbon rim cracks the crack propagation is limited by the fact it's a laminate structure. Carbon is not fragile.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Really winter rider. I have had wheels backs that have gone into barriers and the rim is damaged but by no means a catastrophic failure.

When a carbon rim cracks the crack propagation is limited by the fact it's a laminate structure. Carbon is not fragile.
Difference is.. your peddling/selling something.. I am not. When it breaks.. not good. U-boob video's .... lots of bad falls via plastic rims.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:26 pm
The one the threadstarter seemed hellbent on building despite everyone’s recommendations against it of course!