Need opinion on these wheels. Bought as "MINT" but brake track is discolored.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gurk700

by gurk700

Hey guys. Before opening a case on ebay I wanted to get a few opinions. Does this brake track look MINT to anyone? It's so discolored and feels pretty smooth to touch compared to other textured brake tracks I've ridden. What's more suspect is the rear wheel seems to be in much better shape with no discoloration.

I'm usually not super picky on used stuff I buy and if there's a little harmless scratch here and there, it's no big deal but this seems a little misrepresented. If discoloration is common and happens pretty soon to roval wheels though I can live with it.

Front Wheel

Rear Wheel

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Can you get in touch with the manufacturer to get an opinion?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:33 pm
Can you get in touch with the manufacturer to get an opinion?
Good call I'll see what they say for future reference. I will be returning these regardless though.

Wanted to at least install and see how they brake but thought to check if they are true first. The front wheel is so far off spec it's not even funny. I could fix all the issues and ignore some wear but I didn't exactly get these for dirt cheap bargain price so not gonna bother...

Oh well. Gonna be returning these and getting another set.

moyboy

by moyboy

return it. doesn't look mint. looks like some rocks in the brakepads with those lines.

LouisN

by LouisN

Yup. Case of "front braker"... ;) .
My wheels have 4 years and approx. 10 000 km's of use and the brake tracks look like that (I'm selling them for $450. with DA9000 hubs and CX-Rays if interested ;) ).
Louis :)

gurk700

by gurk700

LouisN wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:14 am
Yup. Case of "front braker"... ;) .
My wheels have 4 years and approx. 10 000 km's of use and the brake tracks look like that (I'm selling them for $450. with DA9000 hubs and CX-Rays if interested ;) ).
Louis :)
Exactly. My tubular set looks exactly the same with years of use. Doesn't take much care taking to keep them top shape. Don't know what people are thinking.

That's a nice deal but these Rovals are just gonna be my back up clinchers. I already have a tubular set I use every day. I wanna take clinchers on much longer weekend rides with no cell reception or any civilization close by :mrgreen:

ichobi

by ichobi

Mine look like that after a year of use with some wet riding in between. They work fine. I think its just how the braketrack are made. I would say what you bough are not MINT. They must have gone through a few wet and dusty rides.

AJS914

by AJS914

I wonder if giving them a good wash and scrub would change the coloring. My Farsports looked bad after a ride in the rain but after a wash with some scrubbing, they looked brand new again.

gurk700

by gurk700

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:11 pm
I wonder if giving them a good wash and scrub would change the coloring. My Farsports looked bad after a ride in the rain but after a wash with some scrubbing, they looked brand new again.
Yeah. I guess my issue is mostly the advertising not matching the condition. I'd happily ride them but not for the price. I already found truly brand new take off condition ones for $10 more.

If I paid around 3-4 hundred less for these ones I'd keep them and true them but not worth it.

People have to learn to be honest on their ads!

bespoke

by bespoke

Agreed these are ‘not mint’ - problem is mint is quite vague; it’s certainly not a definitive term like “un-used’ or “unboxed” are.
One man’s mint is another ones heavily used....
I learnt this the hard way; we sold a high end set of wheels to a client and I described them as bomb-proof as we know lots of people use at P-R etc and in our experience not as single warranty issue in 3 yrs.....I had not taken into account client was 100kgs and rode at great pace into the biggest crater he could find - destroyed 2 rims in exactly the same place
He wanted a full refund as the wheels were described by me as “bomb-proof”- Lesson learnt !
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

gurk700

by gurk700

bespoke wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:27 am
Agreed these are ‘not mint’ - problem is mint is quite vague; it’s certainly not a definitive term like “un-used’ or “unboxed” are.
One man’s mint is another ones heavily used....
I learnt this the hard way; we sold a high end set of wheels to a client and I described them as bomb-proof as we know lots of people use at P-R etc and in our experience not as single warranty issue in 3 yrs.....I had not taken into account client was 100kgs and rode at great pace into the biggest crater he could find - destroyed 2 rims in exactly the same place
He wanted a full refund as the wheels were described by me as “bomb-proof”- Lesson learnt !
Yeah I feel like damage is a different story IMO. I couldn't blame the seller in that situation.
Side note I did the same thing lol. I'm only 70kg's but I rode 20mph+ through a crater (completely under water in rain and in the dark). The worst explosion sound I've heard in my life. Thought it was the tire at first but nope. It was the carbon rim. Dunno how I didn't fall and brake something :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com