FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Jian81

by Jian81

Hi guys im interested in geting the Farsports Feder 45mm wheelset. Was about to pull the trigger on the RD230 model but was told by Emma that theres a lighter option with the Extralite Hubs (24/24H) option and CX RAY super spokes. Claimed weight of 1035g.

The rd230 at 45mm is 1210g.

Is anyone aware of this option? Its not offered on the website apparently.

Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

That is just ridiculously low, but very promising. To my knowledge the RD230 wheels are lighter as they only have 21 spokes, and get their weight savings from the lower number of spokes and spoke holes. If this weight is real it would be an awesome upgrade as the Extralite hubs also support 6-bolt brake discs, which are lighter than comparable centerlock brake discs used on the RD230 hubs.
However there seems to be a 15% premium using Cx super spokes over the standard Cx-rays. Anybody knows why there is such a large price difference? I understand the spokes may be more expensive and harder to install but we are talking about 1150 vs 1000 dollars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Weird, on their website:
Extralite:

Rd230

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Yes RD230 option is ligther than Extralite.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Math doesn't add up. 45mm rims would only be 1240g with super spokes, even if you went hookless that seems to be a difference of about 60g which would be about 1180g.

I am getting a set of RD230 55mm with cx-ray and they are supposed to be 1330g. Replace those with supers and its 1300. Swap the hubs to Extralite and you are dropping 20g, but you are gaining 6 spokes at 3.5g which is a wash. Rim weight between 45mm and 55mm rims appears to be about 55g per rim.

So that is still 1190g is still what I see as being the claimed weight for a set of 45mm rims with super spokes and Extralite hubs. Drop 60g if going hookless and you get 1130g.

No way I see you getting a set of 45mm wheels for 1035g, unless my quick and horrible math is off. That is in Berd spoke territory with ultralite rims. Its actually less than their claimed weight for 25mm hookless, Extralite, with Cx-super?

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Isn't the extralite hub one that uses o rings as an rubber band to hold the freehub pawls?
please have a good mobile phone or sat phone ready.

vongarces

by vongarces

Yes RD230 is a screaming deal for weight weenies. I’ve had mine for 2+ years. It’s been bullet proof and I’m 90 kgs. Love em so much I’m planning to build another wheelset around it with BERD spokes and LB AR465 rims. One of my requirements on choosing this hub was its ability to upgrade to NTN bearings (I’m buying through Hambini) when I rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yurialessandro

by Yurialessandro

vongarces wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:37 pm
Yes RD230 is a screaming deal for weight weenies. I’ve had mine for 2+ years. It’s been bullet proof and I’m 90 kgs. Love em so much I’m planning to build another wheelset around it with BERD spokes and LB AR465 rims. One of my requirements on choosing this hub was its ability to upgrade to NTN bearings (I’m buying through Hambini) when I rebuild.

Good to hear RD230 Review from you sir. have you encountered any unbalanced or unstable hub during your experience with RD230? May i know the milleage? I'm considering between RD230 and DT240.
Thank you

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Help! Has anyone had an issue with the alignment of a DA 12 speed cassette on the RD230 hub? I have only just spotted that the cassette looks like it is buckled.

Point is, I have tried a brand new cassette, same issue. Also have tried a Sram Red 11 speed and no problem

My instincts are telling me that back of the cassette isn’t sitting squarely on the freehub (the stop tabs on the freehub are quite small)?

Maddie

by Maddie

Yes, you are not the only one. Just remove the little ring at the back of the ring and your cassette will remain straight.
Read here:
viewtopic.php?t=168810

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Maddie wrote:Yes, you are not the only one. Just remove the little ring at the back of the ring and your cassette will remain straight.
Read here:
viewtopic.php?t=168810
Fab - I knew I had read something somewhere!! Your are a legend!

biwa

by biwa

For those who have opted for rims without holes, how difficult is it to true these wheels? I know replacing spokes is probably a bit of pain.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

I ordered my set of Feder 45's on April 26 and just received email and EMS tracking this morning. Now the wait for them to arrive in Arkansas. These will go on my 2022 Cervelo R5 which currently has the stock Reserve 34/37mm carbon wheels and my RTR bike weight is 7.41kg with pedals, x2 cages and garmin mount. These wheels should get me down to 7.2kg and gain me a bit more aero effeciency.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

madspalme

by madspalme

Hi guys

I currently run the kaze 58 with dt swiss 240 (SP 24F/24R) but consider getting a 50mm set with the rd230 (probably the gravel hookless rim). However, i am concerned the 21F/21R spokes are too few for me.

I am 190, 87kg and can do sprint on my own of up to about 52km/t. I will be taking the wheels to alpes as well this summer, however they will be used on the flat roads in denmark.

Is this too risky? Sandy wrote they can change the cx rays with cx-sprint which should be more solid.
There are very limited reviews from heavier riders with this hub / spoke count

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmanley

by tmanley

madspalme wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:47 pm
Hi guys

I currently run the kaze 58 with dt swiss 240 (SP 24F/24R) but consider getting a 50mm set with the rd230 (probably the gravel hookless rim). However, i am concerned the 21F/21R spokes are too few for me.

I am 190, 87kg and can do sprint on my own of up to about 52km/t. I will be taking the wheels to alpes as well this summer, however they will be used on the flat roads in denmark.

Is this too risky? Sandy wrote they can change the cx rays with cx-sprint which should be more solid.
There are very limited reviews from heavier riders with this hub / spoke count
I'm just a bit bigger than you (207cm, 94kg) and I've had some offline conversations with a few of the larger riders on these wheels. From their feedback, and what I've learned from my email dialogue with Farsports, you can go with a 28h option with the DT240 hub. They don't have any other hub options in stock right now with 28h. I'm giving serious consideration to a 24/28 build on the DT240's, but now trying to determine which depth I want and whether or not I want hooked or hookless. I've been running some Enve 4.5AR's (which are hookless) without any problems so I'm leaning toward another hookless wheelset.