FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
wtneo

by wtneo

wtneo wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:50 am
Recently got a feder 30mm with FAR R230 hubs on XDR

Tried putting in on a canyon ultimate but on the rear wheel the cassette was "stuck" and couldnt spin after tightening the thru axle.

Anyone have any idea whats happening? did i miss anything?

getting some spacers on the endcaps from farsports, hopefully will arrive soon!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

disq

by disq

disq wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:02 pm
Just ordered Feder 45's (FSD45CM-28T-SUD) with 240 EXP hubs! Considered getting DT350 and losing 100g weight saving (and gaining $180...) but the low number of cases convinced me that it probably won't happen to me, and if it does I have multiple spare wheelsets anyway.

Looking for tubeless tyre recommendations that'd go well with the 28 mil profile, what's everybody running and what width? I'm not ultra happy with my GP5000TLs, had a sudden sidewall tear once on an almost new (800km) rear tire, but I also like to lean my bike (maybe too much) so I'd like to have good grip. I'm currently still on GP5000TLs (28mm) previously used Hutchinson, they were good but I found them not very durable, none of the pairs (I went through both 25 and 28s) survived 3000kms and started getting frequent punctures. So what tires do everybody run with this new 28mm OD?
These arrived today, no fuss from customs, and had the updated ("110" serial) DT ratchets. They came in at 1349 grams for the pair, so about 21g lighter than specified. Immediately mounted 28mm Pirello P-Zero Race TLRs, the mounting part was one of the hardest (because I didn't dare to use a tyre lever) but they seated quite easily (with the usual soapy water + Zefal Tubeless Tank that I use). Since this is my first time with Pirelli I opted to put in more sealant than specified (90ml / Stans Race)

I'm apparently missing the FC32 tool (had inner splined rotor lockrings before...) and the weather's not looking good so they'll have to wait a few days before the first ride. The tyre is almost sitting flush. Will check trueness and width fluctuations once I put it on the bike after the rotor/bb tool gets here hopefully tomorrow.

Only negative thing so far is the valve hole on the rear tyre is a little weird/small, so the valve (opted for 60mm Schwalbes this time) had to be "threaded in" rather than pushed. I'll contact support about it and see what they'll say. Front doesn't have this issue.

itapersita

by itapersita

Hi it is better to buy a wheelset on the wheelsfar website or on AliExpress? Also, which of the two models you advice between the Feder and Kaze, considering that I usually do climbing (now I have a pair of giant SLR 1 35mm depth) but the road are not usually in perfect condition (many holes on the road with frequent bumps)?I think I will go for sure with a DT swiss 240

Inviato dal mio Mi A3 utilizzando Tapatalk

disq

by disq

itapersita wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:19 pm
Hi it is better to buy a wheelset on the wheelsfar website or on AliExpress? Also, which of the two models you advice between the Feder and Kaze, considering that I usually do climbing (now I have a pair of giant SLR 1 35mm depth) but the road are not usually in perfect condition (many holes on the road with frequent bumps)?I think I will go for sure with a DT swiss 240
Hi, if buying from Farsports, wheelsfar website should offer better prices and options. Kaze is the older model with a different aero profile, from what I understand the updated Feder profile handles better in crosswinds and is lighter too.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

itapersita wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:19 pm

Check out their Gravel range. I've just ordered the 50mm deep, 24mm internal width, 30mm external width Gravel option and the rim weight was 10g (massive, I know) lighter than the equivalent sized 50mm Fader rim, but also has a much better aero and tyre profile if your running 25c or 28c tyres due to the internal and external widths.

I ordered direct from wheelsfar and the communication has been great.

Good luck!

itapersita

by itapersita

Thanks for reply! I think I'll go for a Fader wheelset. I will mount 28 mm width tyres (now I have 25 mm).

The only thing is that it looks to me that AliExpress is cheaper than wheelsfar website and maybe they can ship rapidly.

Aesch

by Aesch

Ali has shipping >>> then through wheels far.

Same company so shipping won't matter.

disq

by disq

disq wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:23 pm
Only negative thing so far is the valve hole on the rear tyre is a little weird/small, so the valve (opted for 60mm Schwalbes this time) had to be "threaded in" rather than pushed. I'll contact support about it and see what they'll say. Front doesn't have this issue.
I was able to fix this with a little "convincing" (by pushing the valve in with medium force) yesterday, I'll keep an eye on any potential cracks but so far it looks OK. FS tells me the technician is out till Monday so I sent them the photos to take a look as well. Mounting the tyre the second time (with sealant residue on the rim bed) was a little harder, increasing the pressure on the tank helped, took three tries to finally seat.

Before:
before_IMG_0230.jpeg
After:
IMG_0245_fixed.jpeg

ullmanz

by ullmanz

Are there any reviews on the RD230 and 300 hub?
I'm curious if it's safe to go with them or better to choose the DTSwiss hubs.
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

wtneo

by wtneo

More RD230 issues ... my endcap spacers have arrived and my mechanic had try to get them going but apparently the freehub is not spinning

I have followup this up with farsport team and waiting for their reply. But meanwhile any thoughts or possible solution?

wtneo wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:59 am
wtneo wrote:

Tried putting in on a canyon ultimate but on the rear wheel the cassette was "stuck" and couldnt spin after tightening the thru axle.

michael432000

by michael432000

On the Farsport invoice there is a $43 PayPal handling fee on a $970 wheelset paid in GBP from UK. Does that sound about right?

ullmanz

by ullmanz

Can anyone comment on how stiff the RD230 21/21H is?
The FDS45CM-28T-SUD is super light, but I am wondering whether it will be durable and also how much it will flex when I push hard
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

wtneo

by wtneo

farsports team asked me to take apart and check the insides... and asked to re-assemble the freebody and bearing...

Image Image

wtneo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:17 pm
More RD230 issues ... my endcap spacers have arrived and my mechanic had try to get them going but apparently the freehub is not spinning

I have followup this up with farsport team and waiting for their reply. But meanwhile any thoughts or possible solution?

wtneo wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:59 am
wtneo wrote:

Smeagol

by Smeagol

I received my 28mm width/45mm depth Feder wheels with DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs last week. The wheels work great and also weigh 1348g, 22g lesser than specified weight.

Hubs were also supposedly improved versions with the '110' production code.

The only thing that is off is the front hub decals. They seem to be facing in the reverse direction (i.e. pointing forwards when looking from the saddle position POV). Anyone else had this issue?

disq

by disq

Smeagol wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:14 am
I received my 28mm width/45mm depth Feder wheels with DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs last week. The wheels work great and also weigh 1348g, 22g lesser than specified weight.

Hubs were also supposedly improved versions with the '110' production code.

The only thing that is off is the front hub decals. They seem to be facing in the reverse direction (i.e. pointing forwards when looking from the saddle position POV). Anyone else had this issue?
Same here with the stickers. (Same spec and prod code as well) Mine are 1g heavier though :unbelievable:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com