FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
vongarces

by vongarces

slippy wrote:Does anyone have a long(ish) term review of the RD230 or RD300 hubs? They're lighter and cheaper then the rest...Usually not a good sign, but you never know :)
Sorry slippy I seem to be the only one so far and with the California fires fouling up the air, I can’t rack up the miles for a decent review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slippy

by slippy

I went ahead and ordered a fair of Feder 45 with Rd230 anyway. Let's hope they're good. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lakal

by Lakal

florider wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:34 pm
Lakal wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:41 am
florider wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:34 am
Lakal wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:38 pm
I am very happy with my similar Feders. They feel much more comfortable in crosswind compared to my old farsports wheelset (26mm width). I think its the 28mm width that makes the big difference.
I hope you can confirm my feeling, robeambro.
Hi Lakal,

What type of hubs did you choose for your Feders?
DT Swiss 240EXP just like robeambro.
Have you used your wheels for climbing? If yes, how do they feel?
No, I live in Denmark and all my trips to Spain this fall has been cancelled :(
But on the small hills they feel absolutely fine.

florider

by florider

robeambro wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:04 pm
Lakal wrote:
I am very happy with my similar Feders. They feel much more comfortable in crosswind compared to my old farsports wheelset (26mm width). I think its the 28mm width that makes the big difference.
My first impressions were that the wheels are very good in crosswinds indeed. Granted, I've not ridden super fast yet, but Strava says the other day I've hit 56km/h on a descent with a 23km/h head-crosswind, and I didn't get any hint of "wobbling" from the front end. It wasn't a World Tour speed, but usually around these speeds, wind starts becoming a problem.

General first impression of the wheels is very positive. I really can't quite provide much of a review cause they went on a totally new bike, so I can't quite say what feelings are coming from the new bike vs from the new wheels. They do feel light and agile whilst climbing out of saddle, considering the 45mm profile..
Hi Robeambro, what size tire did you instal on your new wheelset? And are you running tubless or tubes?

robeambro

by robeambro

florider wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:46 pm
robeambro wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:04 pm
Lakal wrote:
My first impressions were that the wheels are very good in crosswinds indeed. Granted, I've not ridden super fast yet, but Strava says the other day I've hit 56km/h on a descent with a 23km/h head-crosswind, and I didn't get any hint of "wobbling" from the front end. It wasn't a World Tour speed, but usually around these speeds, wind starts becoming a problem.

General first impression of the wheels is very positive. I really can't quite provide much of a review cause they went on a totally new bike, so I can't quite say what feelings are coming from the new bike vs from the new wheels. They do feel light and agile whilst climbing out of saddle, considering the 45mm profile..
Hi Robeambro, what size tire did you instal on your new wheelset? And are you running tubless or tubes?
Hi there, 25/28 front/rear, tubeless, Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport.

nickf

by nickf

Wheels arrived today. FSC35CM-26T-UL, CXray spokes, Novatec FS522SB/ AS511SB hubs. Weight came in at 1336g. These are going to be the wheels I travel with so I can run clinchers. As always Sandy was great to deal with and the wheels are dead true. Shipping took 10 days to Florida, fastest yet. Will be putting some miles on them this weekend.

biwa

by biwa

nickf wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:21 pm
Wheels arrived today. FSC35CM-26T-UL, CXray spokes, Novatec FS522SB/ AS511SB hubs. Weight came in at 1336g. These are going to be the wheels I travel with so I can run clinchers. As always Sandy was great to deal with and the wheels are dead true. Shipping took 10 days to Florida, fastest yet. Will be putting some miles on them this weekend.
Impressive wheels. 10 days via DHL/Fedex or EMS? And any custom fees on top? Let us know how well braking works!

nickf

by nickf

EMS, no customs. They landed in NY on Wed and at my door this morning the following Friday.

Braking just going up and down the neighborhood is impressive so far. My other set of farsports wheels only has the HMX surface, no grooves. They are similar in feel but these new ones with HMX and ATA surface have a little more initial bite. Looks like rain tomorrow so I should be able to put them through it all.

biwa

by biwa

nickf wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:40 pm
EMS, no customs. They landed in NY on Wed and at my door this morning the following Friday.

Braking just going up and down the neighborhood is impressive so far. My other set of farsports wheels only has the HMX surface, no grooves. They are similar in feel but these new ones with HMX and ATA surface have a little more initial bite. Looks like rain tomorrow so I should be able to put them through it all.
Thanks. I've also tried their older brake track with HMX but no ATA, and wasn't too impressed by its stopping power with SwissStop black prince pads. The modulation is fine, but on longer descents its stopping power dimishes fairly quickly (also started squealing rather soon) after successive brakings (not dragging the brakes). At the end of these descents, the brake track was only moderately warm and certainly not hot, so the loss of braking power isn't mostly due to overheating..

Look forward to hearing your experience with this newer version.

florider

by florider

George46GR wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:48 pm
Okay, thank you very much @iamraymond. I will contact Farsports and Carbon-Ti ASAP. So I will contact them right now. Could I reference to Farsports your case ? You can send me an email at fouskit@hmu.gr if you want.

Could @Sandy from Farsports please help?
Hi George, did you have the creaking noise taken care of? I'm thinking about buying a set of the same wheels but not sure if I should go with carbon ti or new dt-swiss hubs. I see a few people on this site have had issues with the carbon ti hubs.

George46GR

by George46GR

florider wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:10 pm
George46GR wrote:
Okay, thank you very much @iamraymond. I will contact Farsports and Carbon-Ti ASAP. So I will contact them right now. Could I reference to Farsports your case ? You can send me an email at fouskit@hmu.gr if you want.

Hi George, did you have the creaking noise taken care of? I'm thinking about buying a set of the same wheels but not sure if I should go with carbon ti or new dt-swiss hubs. I see a few people on this site have had issues with the carbon ti hubs.
I contacted Carbon-Ti via Farsports and explained them the problem. They immediately sent me a new free hub body cell, with a new rubber seal and the new 0.4 mm thick (instead of 4, 0.1 mm thick) washer. They have been very helpfull and explained to me - in every detail - what to do and what to check. Kudos to them.

Nevertheless, before replacing the free hub body, I fully opened the rear hub, cleaned and re-greased it, and FULLY tightend BY-HAND the bearings preload nut. After that, I do not have any creaks when I am ON the saddle even in extreme power values lasting 1 second, or 3 seconds or even 5 seconds. I suppose that the bearings preload nut was forgotten in loose position during the wheel built process.

Yet, when being OUT of the saddle I notice some noise when I press down the right pedal (and the bike is then reclined to the left) but I am not sure if it comes from the rear disk brake rotor rubbing on the disk brake pads, or if it comes form the bended(?) free hub body.

To be honest, I have NOT replaced the free hub body YET, but I should do so next Tuesday or Thursday. Carbon-Ti hubs are quite good, and I suppose that our technical problem is caused due to quality control or something like that.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

BlackForestRider

by BlackForestRider

Hello everybody,
What outer rim width is the best for the use of 25mm and 28mm tires?
What tire would u use?
Should I get 28 wide rim with 21 inner or 26 with 19 inner width.
The wheelset Feder will be 35mm Deep and 70 climbing 30% aero.

Im thankful for some advice!
Ppl

robbosmans

by robbosmans

BlackForestRider wrote:Hello everybody,
What tire would u use?

Ppl
If you plan on using 28mm tires go with the 28 wide rim

BlackForestRider

by BlackForestRider

Would the also be good in case I use 25mm tires?

robbosmans wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:26 pm
BlackForestRider wrote:Hello everybody,
What tire would u use?

Ppl
If you plan on using 28mm tires go with the 28 wide rim

florider

by florider

George46GR wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:34 pm
florider wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:10 pm
George46GR wrote:

I contacted Carbon-Ti via Farsports and explained them the problem. They immediately sent me a new free hub body cell, with a new rubber seal and the new 0.4 mm thick (instead of 4, 0.1 mm thick) washer. They have been very helpfull and explained to me - in every detail - what to do and what to check. Kudos to them.

Nevertheless, before replacing the free hub body, I fully opened the rear hub, cleaned and re-greased it, and FULLY tightend BY-HAND the bearings preload nut. After that, I do not have any creaks when I am ON the saddle even in extreme power values lasting 1 second, or 3 seconds or even 5 seconds. I suppose that the bearings preload nut was forgotten in loose position during the wheel built process.

Yet, when being OUT of the saddle I notice some noise when I press down the right pedal (and the bike is then reclined to the left) but I am not sure if it comes from the rear disk brake rotor rubbing on the disk brake pads, or if it comes form the bended(?) free hub body.

To be honest, I have NOT replaced the free hub body YET, but I should do so next Tuesday or Thursday. Carbon-Ti hubs are quite good, and I suppose that our technical problem is caused due to quality control or something like that.
So George, all in all, you are happy with the wheelset? How are they in the wind?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com