FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Quadrophenia

by Quadrophenia

My second Farsports KAZE set is almost ready to be shipped. The current KAZE wheels are fantastic, although I don't have any experience with other carbon rims to compare. Looking at this forum, Farsports makes pretty good wheels I guess...

Anyway, I have a 19mm internal width set now with 40mm deep rims and a few weeks ago I ordered the 21mm KAZE wheels with 58mm depth. This because of the fact I do some CX when the weather is bad. Changing tubeless tyres multiple times a week is frustrating, so I decided to go for another set. Both based on the DT350 by the way.

What tire do you suggest on the Kaze 21 internals? I ran Schwalbe Pro One 25mm on the 19mm, will these be useable on my new set in terms of aero? Or is better to go for 28mm and maybe another brand?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Quadrophenia

by Quadrophenia

My second Farsports KAZE set is almost ready to be shipped. The current KAZE wheels are fantastic, although I don't have any experience with other carbon rims to compare. Looking at this forum, Farsports makes pretty good wheels I guess...

Anyway, I have a 19mm internal width set now with 40mm deep rims and a few weeks ago I ordered the 21mm KAZE wheels with 58mm depth. This because of the fact I do some CX when the weather is bad. Changing tubeless tyres multiple times a week is frustrating, so I decided to go for another set. Both based on the DT350 by the way.

What tire do you suggest on the Kaze 21 internals? I ran Schwalbe Pro One 25mm on the 19mm, will these be useable on my new set in terms of aero? Or is better to go for 28mm and maybe another brand?

ullmanz

by ullmanz

Quadrophenia wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 2:44 pm

In theory there are the recommendations by FarSport: https://www.wheelsfar.com/which-tire-si ... a0012.html
For me it seems rather on the extrem side.

They suggest for 21 inner width 35 Plus. I can't really believe that to be honest. Or I am reading it wrong.
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

Aesch

by Aesch

It looks a lot like the list by Sheldon brown (even the text under the list is identical)...

Quadrophenia

by Quadrophenia

Yeah, but they sell them as race wheels, and 35mm for a racer is quite outrageous. Besides that I'm running 25mm on my 19 inners without problems. They don't recommend that either...
ullmanz wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:38 pm
Quadrophenia wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 2:44 pm

In theory there are the recommendations by FarSport: https://www.wheelsfar.com/which-tire-si ... a0012.html
For me it seems rather on the extrem side.

They suggest for 21 inner width 35 Plus. I can't really believe that to be honest. Or I am reading it wrong.

ddddd1

by ddddd1

Still too conservative - 28mm only on up to 21mm inner width?
Enid: Scott Addict RC Ultimate Team Ed - 7.2 kg (in. pedals and bottle cages)

Aesch

by Aesch

Sure you can use wider tyres but isn't it all a mix of what is most Aero, what weighs least and what is most comfortable? Depending on your own weighing of those factors helps.

ullmanz

by ullmanz

For me this also doesn't make super much sense. I'd think that on a 21 inner width I should be able to run a 25mm tire.

itapersita

by itapersita

With Schalwbe there are different measurements:

(Light blue: Etrto standard, dark blue: advices by schwalbe)

Aesch

by Aesch

ullmanz wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:12 am
For me this also doesn't make super much sense. I'd think that on a 21 inner width I should be able to run a 25mm tire.
These are not rules, they are factory recommendations. They want to prevent their 'advise' to lead to people complaining at their doorstep with issues like 'I went on a ride with my 23mm tyres on your 26mm internal gravel rims and now I have rock-strike-damage on the rims' etc.

ullmanz

by ullmanz

I think one thing we should consider: They are talking about the width of the tire in mm.
A 25c tire will probably rather be a 27.5mm (viewtopic.php?t=157115)

Quadrophenia

by Quadrophenia

Aero is the main factor for me now. My weight is just 60kg, so riding tireless on the rim will be pretty comfortable for me already. But that's no option for me, although it will save some grams ;)
Aesch wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:39 pm
Sure you can use wider tyres but isn't it all a mix of what is most Aero, what weighs least and what is most comfortable? Depending on your own weighing of those factors helps.

Arka

by Arka

Need some advice folks. I can't decide between a Feder w/ Dt240 or Feder w/ RD230. I like the DT240 because it's relatively easy to service should I need to. On the other hand, the RD230 is much lighter and more affordable but I could not find any info here on maintenance or reliability -( except for that one post where someone had a bearing problem ). I emailed sandy for a manual on the RD230s and i'm still waiting on her. So how reliable are these hubs and how easy/hard are they to maintain? Anyone else had any problems? Thanks all in advance for you help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ullmanz

by ullmanz

Arka wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:11 pm
Need some advice folks. I can't decide between a Feder w/ Dt240 or Feder w/ RD230. I like the DT240 because it's relatively easy to service should I need to. On the other hand, the RD230 is much lighter and more affordable but I could not find any info here on maintenance or reliability -( except for that one post where someone had a bearing problem ). I emailed sandy for a manual on the RD230s and i'm still waiting on her. So how reliable are these hubs and how easy/hard are they to maintain? Anyone else had any problems? Thanks all in advance for you help
Also keep in mind the different spoke numbers.
In the end I took the heavier DT240 because I felt like I rather have 24 spokes (DT 240) than the 21 spokes (RD230).
I'm not an expert in that area, but some reading on forums brought up, that a lot of people recommend 24 or even 28 spokes for the rear.